Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

HEADERS .. the happy ending:)

This is a discussion on HEADERS .. the happy ending:) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by shady milkman i enjoy my qtp Lts being stainless ..they look bad ass and i dont have ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i enjoy my qtp Lts being stainless ..they look bad ass and i dont have to worry about shitty michigan winter messing with them
    Definitly. Im in Wisconsin so im so happy im getting stainless now. I wasnt diggin the fact that unless you live in Arizona, your ceramics are don in a year or 2.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

The edelbrock y pipe uses a 3 1/2" collector so it wont mate up to the headers without some cutting and grinding by that time you just better off buying a direct fit one. Ive seen one work but for the headache just get the right one.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Where my sister lives and where my grandmother lived, they don't have emissions. Do you have emissions in your county? If not, you should have done the true duals setup.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Either way he wont pass with lt's anyway some people favor the y pipe for the cost and less vibration if the duals are dumped.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

To the guys talking about waiting on tuning...

Tuning for cars with headers will make almost as much HP as the headers themselves and for a fraction of the cost and time involved... You can pickup an honest 10-18rwhp on average with tuning after headers as well as getting rid of the SES light and many other performance-based benefits. If you have an automatic, the gains are even larger with the removal of tq mngmnt. 6-speed cars get skip shift deleted as well. $125 + S/H : http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/services2.htm

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Tuning for cars with headers will make almost as much HP as the headers themselves and for a fraction of the cost and time involved... You can pickup an honest 10-18rwhp on average with tuning after headers as well as getting rid of the SES light and many other performance-based benefits. If you have an automatic, the gains are even larger with the removal of tq mngmnt. 6-speed cars get skip shift deleted as well. $125 + S/H : http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/services2.htm
    OH TRUST ME, when the holidays are over and i get a second to install my headers, im sending in my pcm in the process. Its probably gonna take me a minute to do this anyhow. IM piecing everything to gether first and then im gonna do it all at once. My first conquest was headers, now its an LS6 intake along with heads and a cam. That a whole other mess im gonna bother people on another thread besides, this car right now is my daily driver.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Got the OBX headers in today. They look good. The EGR/AIR provisions are all there and look pretty desent. Pics will follow. The welds look alright. Its Stainless alright. Heavey SOB's i tell ya but worth it. So far they delivered what they sold me. It does look pretty nice. My brother-in-law said we should mount them on the shop walls, they look really good. They could have done a better job on the apearance of the EGR tubes but other than that they are ok, im going to for go the "falling off" problem and weld a support tab on the passenger side egr tubes. Flanges are thick as hell. Jesus. Im going to measure tomorrow and see what the ACTUAL measurements are. Im sil debating on the y-pipe. I want it to be stainless as well now. might as well. I got the expensive part already . I might fab my own.. not sure yet. I could do it... but im entirly too lazy right now besides, its snowing in wisconsin right now and i cant do too much anyway

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Glad to hear
    post overall experience when done

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

What you say is true! I would like to get my car tuned (when I do, you bet I'll have you do it), but just can't right now. I always tell people that they don't have to have a car tuned just because of a header install. Just like you don't have to have it tuned for a lid, which nobody questions. Of course, that's if they don't mind the cute little SES light always on.

However, to get the most benefit from any mod, get that PCM retuned, and have Frost do it, there are so many satisfied members here that he's helped.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    What you say is true! I would like to get my car tuned (when I do, you bet I'll have you do it), but just can't right now. I always tell people that they don't have to have a car tuned just because of a header install. Just like you don't have to have it tuned for a lid, which nobody questions. Of course, that's if they don't mind the cute little SES light always on.

However, to get the most benefit from any mod, get that PCM retuned, and have Frost do it, there are so many satisfied members here that he's helped.
    i felt a huge improvment after the headers tune...she hits hard now..so hard i thought something was wrong ..then i remembered..no TM and all that extra power frost got for me = harder hits.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ok, since this is my thread (haha) im gonna ask another question while i wait on a y-pipe decision and also my o2 sensors to come, whats exactly do you mean about the torque managment thing? is it like traction control? (which i dont think and which i only get when im on snow) SO the computer manages the TQ as well?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Correct, it's sort of an attempt by gm to get the 4l60's to last by neutering the engine...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Correct, it's sort of an attempt by gm to get the 4l60's to last by neutering the engine...
    AH, i know ive beat the crap out of my tranny (poor thing but i treat it with synthetic ATF) So i might want to do a tranny rebuild in the near future before i implode my 4l60e

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Yep, well they're weak brand new anyways soo.. Good idea on the rebuild. Could slap a torque converter in there while you're in there too then pimp slap everybody

Red
    98 Trans Am

Alright, so now im sitting here waiting on my ORY pipe. I decided to go with a LLP Stainless Steel Y-pipe ($175). No what were the o2s that had the long wireing so you dont have to get extentions?

Red
    98 Trans Am

OK, found it. Bosch 13111 O2 sensors got it. $105 for 2. so lets see...
    $350 OBX Headers
    $200 LPP Stainless ORY Pipe
    $105 Bosch 13111 O2's (46 each)
    ... and thats about it..... $655 for a stainless up grade... not bad.
    All off E-baby. Just waiting for the ORY and O2's and install here i come. Ill post pics and details of my quest.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Your gonna like the power/sound improvement. I never did replace my O2 sensors, now over 3 years and they're working fine. Gas MPG still up and so is power. I probably should replace them, tho, since they are 10 years old and 86k.

Red
    98 Trans Am

yeah i figure i change the O2 and spark plugs while im there already. I just turned over 100k last week. not bad for a 98

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Your gonna like the power/sound improvement. I never did replace my O2 sensors, now over 3 years and they're working fine. Gas MPG still up and so is power. I probably should replace them, tho, since they are 10 years old and 86k.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    yeah i figure i change the O2 and spark plugs while im there already. I just turned over 100k last week. not bad for a 98
    my car just hit 90k ..and thank god it appears my O2s are working..but i am scared to even mess with them so i dont get the infamous slow response and heater codes

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

You got the 13111's off Ebay? I am going to do headers soon and need some, I figure it is time (2000 with 106k) Another thing you should do is upgrade your wires, I went with the Taylor 10.4mm, upped my response and gas mileage instantly, for $50 they are worth it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information