pewter
    2000 CAMARO SS

Headers or find a way to remove cats???

Sup everybody!!

I have a 2000 SS M6. I have been contemplating on Long Tube headers for about 3-4 months now. I think I have completely talked myself in and out of them 30 times. The only reason I haven't bought them is justifying the cost to do it right the first time.

I am looking for advice to go one way or another so any input is greatly appreciated. Here is my breakdown of what has my head spinning in all different directions.

Ideal method:

1. Pacesetter long tubes (ceramic coated) including non-coated y-pipe. ($530)
    2. OEM metal header gaskets. ($25)
    3. Stage 8 locking header bolts. ($52)
    4. 3 stainless band clamps ($40)
    5. MSD wires ($65)
    6. NGKtr55 plugs ($17)
    7. Computer tune ($100)

Grand total: $829.00

Would I still need o2 extenstions as well if my tune would delete the check engine light?? If so thats another 50-60 bucks.

So basically $900 bucks out the door for everything I need to so the install myself. This is gonna give me 25 rwhp and the sound I need to live a happy life

On the other hand, the main goal I am trying to accomplish is to get the cats off so I can be louder. I am happy with the power but the stock manifolds with a borla catback just doesn't give me the growl I need.

I have not found a place that sells a direct bolt on y-pipe or custom pipes that will connect directly to my stock exhaust manifolds. Do you know of a part/place/etc.. that can sell me a pipe that will allow me to remove my cats. Most y-pipes only work with a set of headers and still leave the cats in place. I'm not really interested in doing the whole 'hollow out my cat' deal.

So if you are just after volume.... long tubes or find a way to delete the cats???

Thanks guys!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

dont use header gaskets, they blow out. Use the high temp high copper red permatex stuff, i forget the actuall name. I used it on my mustang and havent had any problems at all, and im running a full exhaust with mufflers. Also a guy i work with has an 8.50 second mustang and used to blow header gaskets every two to three runs but once he swithched to the permatex stuff he hasnt had to touch them in two years.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    dont use header gaskets, they blow out. Use the high temp high copper red permatex stuff, i forget the actuall name. I used it on my mustang and havent had any problems at all, and im running a full exhaust with mufflers. Also a guy i work with has an 8.50 second mustang and used to blow header gaskets every two to three runs but once he swithched to the permatex stuff he hasnt had to touch them in two years.
    the stock MLS exhaust gaskets work great, I'm still using my original gaskets and have had them off and on several times.....your right the paper gaskets that come with headers are junk.

if you plan on doing more mods soon you can skip the tune for awhile (wont get full potential and SES light will be on)

Black
    SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by steiger99 View Post

I have not found a place that sells a direct bolt on y-pipe or custom pipes that will connect directly to my stock exhaust manifolds. Do you know of a part/place/etc.. that can sell me a pipe that will allow me to remove my cats. Most y-pipes only work with a set of headers and still leave the cats in place. I'm not really interested in doing the whole 'hollow out my cat' deal.

http://www.bassani.com/part/57002

This might work!

pewter
    2000 CAMARO SS

So Bassani makes a ORY that bolts right to my stock exhaust manifolds and eliminates my cats. $350 for the stainless pipe. Still gonna throw a code so I either need o2 sims or a tune. So I can get long tubes and a y-pipe for $150 more??? That solves that dilemma. Thanks man!!!

Thread Information