Thread: Headers

Black
    2001 WS-6

Headers

Im noticing that you can get a set of pacesetter LT headers w/emissions (what does that mean anyway?) for about 300 bucks. Now the SLP longtubes are like 800 bucks and they say a 40 wheel hp gain is possible. Are the 2 really that different? And will this set up work with a borla cat back?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001W$-6 View Post
    Im noticing that you can get a set of pacesetter LT headers w/emissions (what does that mean anyway?) for about 300 bucks. Now the SLP longtubes are like 800 bucks and they say a 40 wheel hp gain is possible. Are the 2 really that different? And will this set up work with a borla cat back?
    1. W/emissions means the headers have the ability to keep your AIR pump and EGR. Most people don't want the emissions capability and just get rid of it anyways.

2. The 40 RWHP gains SLP claims is complete b/s. The SLP's have fitment issues as well and you might as well go outside and hand away your money instead of paying $800 for SLP's. This is one of those rare times that you aren't getting what you are paying for.

3. The Pacesetters will work fine with a Borla catback
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

"With Emissions" means that the headers have provisions to hook up the AIR and EGR systems that are integrated into the stock manifolds. It helps the car be more "emissions legal", although it is irrelevent, since Long Tubes remove the cats from therte stock location, therefore making them technically "illegal" anyway.

Almost all Long Tube headers with show the same gains, horsepower wise. Equal length primaries, like the SLP headers have, can give you a slight gain over regular LT's, but its not worth the increase in price. They cost $500 more, are made of crappy T409 Stainless (why bother making them stainless if you're going to use the cheap stuff??) and have terrible ground clearance and lots of fitment issues. I've never heard anyone say they are happy with them.

If you want the best value, go with the Pacesetters. They have great fitment and quality for the price.

And yes, Long Tubes will work with a Borla catback, you'll just need the "off-road" Y-pipe (ORY) that goes with the headers to mate the collectors to the catback.

white
    2002 z28

dumb question do they make headers with just the AIR not the EGR??

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    dumb question do they make headers with just the AIR not the EGR??
    Yes, most headers are broke into categories of 98-99, 2000, and 01-02. The 01 and 02s are different because they didn't have the EGR.

http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...&vid=3&pcid=52

Scroll down and look at all the options for Kooks and QTP

Black
    2001 WS-6

i understand that the LT's will require an aftermarket y pipe but i mean is there anyway to keep the cats on there besides buying a 600 dollar aftermarket one with cats, because there tough on emissions around here and i really dont wanna havbe to deal with completly redoing my exhaust for emissions, i know its every 2 years or whatever but still, any way i could just fab them on there so its looks like there on there? plus will my car now be one of the ridiculously loud LS1's out there.......thanks for the help guys

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

dont get the SLP headers. over-priced, and hang down way to low once installed...

yes, they do make "Race only" versions of LT's. those are headers that do nto come with AIR and EGR hook-up provision tubes. very easy to see the difference between an emissions and non-emission LT's...

Pacesetter's are truly the best bang for the buck LT's out there. just make sure to buy 'coated' LT's and not the black painted ones. those will rust in no time...

as for running cats, you can buy just the cats and then just install them are the header collector and before the y-yip. might take an exhaust shop a little time to either fabricate a y-pipe for you or modify a y-pipe that you might already have. you can get high flow cats for about $80/each...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Yes, most headers are broke into categories of 98-99, 2000, and 01-02. The 01 and 02s are different because they didn't have the EGR.

http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...&vid=3&pcid=52

Scroll down and look at all the options for Kooks and QTP
    the reason why i would want tthe air hook up is bc when/if a cop pulls me over and saying its not legel ill show under the hood and show that if there is this its legel, hoping that the cop is dumb and gulabol!!!

white
    2002 z28

even thoe you can drive and do just about anything in detroit

Thread Information