Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

headers

This is a discussion on headers within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i put ceramic coated hookers on my car and had to notch a section of the car and the y ...

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

i put ceramic coated hookers on my car and had to notch a section of the car and the y pipe fits like total shit i regret buying them the y pipe flanges never slipped over the headers and had them bumped up at an exhaust shop and it was done to big. I put a set of pacesetters on a 00 ws6 and besides having to remove the steering shaft they fit and look great.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 99yellowz28 View Post
    i put ceramic coated hookers on my car and had to notch a section of the car and the y pipe fits like total shit i regret buying them the y pipe flanges never slipped over the headers and had them bumped up at an exhaust shop and it was done to big. I put a set of pacesetters on a 00 ws6 and besides having to remove the steering shaft they fit and look great.

???

I had to do a very small notch on my K-member, and I had to compress the top of my 3'' ORY on the drivers side, but my ceramic Hookers fit great and ground clearance is up compared to the stock set up. Had to remove the intermediate steering shaft for install on my car also. The ORY I bought with the Hookers.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

The K member is what I notched as well but the Y pipe did not slip over the headers it looked to be basically the same size pipe I had to get both sides of the y pipe expanded. I bought both the y pipe and headers from summit racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ???

I had to do a very small notch on my K-member, and I had to compress the top of my 3'' ORY on the drivers side, but my ceramic Hookers fit great and ground clearance is up compared to the stock set up. Had to remove the intermediate steering shaft for install on my car also. The ORY I bought with the Hookers.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Never had to notch my K member with my Pacesetter LT's

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I was going to make some snarky remark about Pacesetters being made in China and that's why they are cheaper. I did some research, and found out they are made in USA. I did some quick research about Hookers, and didn't find an answer to where they are made. So, the joke's on me lol.

I do remember some discussion here tho that Hookers and Kooks tube lengths are equal, like intake manifold runners. From what I remember Pace Setters are not, and that *may* be why they fit a bit better. As far as does that affect ultimate HP numbers, it may, but if it does it won't be very much, probably very little. Long tubes for the win with our LS1 F-bodies!

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I was going to make some snarky remark about Pacesetters being made in China and that's why they are cheaper. I did some research, and found out they are made in USA. I did some quick research about Hookers, and didn't find an answer to where they are made. So, the joke's on me lol.

I do remember some discussion here tho that Hookers and Kooks tube lengths are equal, like intake manifold runners. From what I remember Pace Setters are not, and that *may* be why they fit a bit better. As far as does that affect ultimate HP numbers, it may, but if it does it won't be very much, probably very little. Long tubes for the win with our LS1 F-bodies!
    there are 2 models of hooker headers one do not have equal length and the other does and you can get both in in diffrent materials like steel painted,stainless steel or ceramic coated i got the ceramic to hold the heat in the pipe instead other outside getting hot kind of like header tape. all i can say is my headers and finish look nice but the y pipe did not fit correctly and if pace setters fit correctly like the ones i did id rather have that plus there quality looks like its as good as my hookers

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes if I did it all over again I'd probably go with the Pace Setters, and spend the save money on an ORY with dual E-cutouts. I do have the cool "I love my Hookers" sticker, that's worth about 15 horsepower, right?
    pajeff02 likes this.

Blog Entries

black
    98 trans am

opinions

Can someone check these out and give me some opinions on them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can check them out on the BBK website. General rule for our cars is to go with long tube headers -- not shorties. These are LT's, but I can not comment on fitment or anything.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^what he said.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Whats the big difference between the lts and shorties? I have lts at any rate just curious. always see mustang guys mods sig usually include BBK short tubes never understood why buy headers and get what seems to be inferior design.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    Whats the big difference between the lts and shorties? I have lts at any rate just curious. always see mustang guys mods sig usually include BBK short tubes never understood why buy headers and get what seems to be inferior design.
    On some cars shorties actually increase hp like long tubes but till remain legal, obviously long tubes will gain more though. The reason is on some cars the stock manifolds don't flow very well from the factory so they will see a gain with aftermarket shorties. The stock manifolds on oir cars flow pretty well which make shorties pointless.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Blog Entries

black
    98 trans am

I was just wanting to kno about that bid. If it was a good deal and what else I would need to buy to install these

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The price on the listing is the same as the price on BBK's site -- not sure about the "discount" language. Best bet is to utilize a new set of the stock GM exhaust gaskets. I tossed the gaskets that came with my Kooks LT's in favor of the General's. I upgraded to locking stainless bolts and also added DEI sleeves for the plug wires. Looking at the headers, they appear to come with a Y-pipe that deletes the catalytic converters. Not sure if that is an issue or not in your state.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information