Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

headers

This is a discussion on headers within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What will header bring horsepower wise and will there be a real difference that u can feel.Is there horsepower difference ...

  1. #1
    now greybat66
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    bloomfield nj
    Posts
    481

    navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

    Question headers

    What will header bring horsepower wise and will there be a real difference that u can feel.Is there horsepower difference because of what u drive auto compared to stick shift.Real horsepower numbers to the wheels.

  2. #2
    Member blk_jaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    494

    Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

    To my knowledge headers are usually good for 15-20 hp or more especially if you add a good catback. Yes you would feel a difference in the car and horsepower.

    "The auto vs stick difference" I do not know cause I never put headers on my auto but I have them on my manual
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

  3. #3
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    well an auto surely soaks up more horse than the stick, AND, if you like to race from a roll (most opportunities to race on street will be from a roll) you'll never beat a guy who can drive his manual f-body (similar power numbers of course). i think manual cars may soak up 15% through drivetrain and autos are 20%. . . .OR. . . it's 10/15. . . .former i think is more realistic than the latter, but i've never dyno'd either in stock trim so i dunno for sure.

  4. #4
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    headers with a catback you will notice a good difference....good tune will make an even bigger difference. if you are running an automatic I'd get the torque management deleted and zero out shift delay.....makes it kinda violent but for a DD on the 1-2 shift but it will shift faster and harder than a manual....like Side said, we loose more power through the drivetrain, but the new shift speed and pressure pretty much makesup for it.
    add a 3,000 stall and your really in business.
    I've been running mine setup like this for awhile now and have had no tranny issues at all

  5. #5
    Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bragg NC
    Posts
    2,835

    Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

    Stall will make a world of difference. Cant outshift a computer..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

  6. #6
    Senior Member SS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,819

    None
    ...

    I think it was over 23-25 for me at the rear, with cats, longtubes/3in after that!
    I also lost some emission stuff at the same time!!! It was big time... I thought
    but I am still learning! I have dyno shts, but do not want to get that detailed...

    Please, I do this site for fun not contest!

  7. #7
    Senior Member SS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,819

    None
    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    headers with a catback you will notice a good difference....good tune will make an even bigger difference. if you are running an automatic I'd get the torque management deleted and zero out shift delay.....makes it kinda violent but for a DD on the 1-2 shift but it will shift faster and harder than a manual....like Side said, we loose more power through the drivetrain, but the new shift speed and pressure pretty much makesup for it.
    add a 3,000 stall and your really in business.
    I've been running mine setup like this for awhile now and have had no tranny issues at all
    I did all that without the stall... still big difference!
    I like to more then drag, no stall yet!

  8. #8
    Member BlackSS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    What will header bring horsepower wise and will there be a real difference that u can feel.Is there horsepower difference because of what u drive auto compared to stick shift.Real horsepower numbers to the wheels.
    M6 here - Headers (Y pipe with cats) + tune added 22 RWHP and 23 RWTQ. Same catback before and after the headers. Yes you can feel a nice difference and the sound is much better too.

  9. #9
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by SS 2002 533HP View Post
    I did all that without the stall... still big difference!
    I like to more then drag, no stall yet!
    you would like the stall i just put in, drives almost stock but better(2,800rpm)

    correction to my previous post, lol just put the stall in, but have been running the tranny settings for awhile with 0 TM

  10. #10
    Member cobrakiller99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    269

    silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

    im getting pacesetters with a corsa, do you think i should take my cats off? i heard it might be really loud and kind of annoying. how much power would i lose if i didnt take my cats and how much would i gain?

  11. #11
    Member slpdablueZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    403

    blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

    oh yeah u can definately feel the difference when u get headers. i noticed it as soon as i drove my car out of the shop. plus if ur an asshole like me and get a loudmouth with the headers ull be setting off car alarms. i love it lol
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

  12. #12
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    im getting pacesetters with a corsa, do you think i should take my cats off? i heard it might be really loud and kind of annoying. how much power would i lose if i didnt take my cats and how much would i gain?
    you wont beable to run your stock cats, and you will need o2 extensions (pacsetter headers come with the wire to cut and splice in)
    you will like the sound of it with a good set of mufflers, with or without cats

  13. #13
    Member cobrakiller99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    269

    silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    you wont beable to run your stock cats, and you will need o2 extensions (pacsetter headers come with the wire to cut and splice in)
    you will like the sound of it with a good set of mufflers, with or without cats

    thanks but i got one more question, im probably going to end up getting pacsetters with the tsp catted y, would i lose much power if i get a catted y over a off road y?

  14. #14
    Member BlackSS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    thanks but i got one more question, im probably going to end up getting pacsetters with the tsp catted y, would i lose much power if i get a catted y over a off road y?
    Not much, but it will be quieter than it is without cats

  15. #15
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    thanks but i got one more question, im probably going to end up getting pacsetters with the tsp catted y, would i lose much power if i get a catted y over a off road y?
    I've heard lots of good things about 4" catback on f-bodies. the catted Y should be a hiflow cat, stock or mild builds cat or catless exhaust shouldn't be that noticable of a difference in power. the cat is twice the size of the pipe to reduce restriction and flow pretty good. you will notice a catless system is a bit louder though

  16. #16
    Member cobrakiller99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    269

    silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I've heard lots of good things about 4" catback on f-bodies. the catted Y should be a hiflow cat, stock or mild builds cat or catless exhaust shouldn't be that noticable of a difference in power. the cat is twice the size of the pipe to reduce restriction and flow pretty good. you will notice a catless system is a bit louder though
    Thanks, yeah i was just wondering if i would lose alot of power over cat less pipe. i heard about being catless can get annoyingly loud. thanks again.

  17. #17
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    Thanks, yeah i was just wondering if i would lose alot of power over cat less pipe. i heard about being catless can get annoyingly loud. thanks again.
    I've got lt's, 3" true duals, super 44's and no cats....she hates it, but I love it

  18. #18
    - STOCK ish - Sarge91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairhope, Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    779

    Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    if you are running an automatic I'd get the torque management deleted and zero out shift delay.....makes it kinda violent but for a DD on the 1-2 shift but it will shift faster and harder than a manual....
    How do ya do that?

  19. #19
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    How do ya do that?
    you have to get it tuned out. i use one of my friends HPtuners program....its expensive but worth the money $649 for the program and you use your laptop

  20. #20
    - STOCK ish - Sarge91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairhope, Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    779

    Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

    :shock:
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. mac mid headers or lt headers 2002 camaro with y pipe
    By chief98ls1 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 05:36 PM
  2. Question: Longtube headers or short headers?
    By 98maro in forum General Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM
  3. which LT headers?? TOO MANY DAMN HEADERS TO CHOOSE FROM!
    By bad@ss mike in forum External Engine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
  4. headers for sale? which headers should i buy?
    By wooten in forum External Engine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 12:18 PM
  5. Has Stainless Works Headers become the Top Headers of all?
    By Sunset T/A in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 07:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •