Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Header question

This is a discussion on Header question within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; oh yeah?? awesome! i think i'll be going out there next week to get my car tuned at rev xtreme.. ...

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh yeah?? awesome! i think i'll be going out there next week to get my car tuned at rev xtreme.. you ever been there?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

ok cool thanks, i was wondering where other ppl in the area went to..

I have a question for you, I'm gettin my exhaust done right now and the guy is doing a 2.5" x pipe tucked over the axle.. I was just telling my friend about it and he was saying that it's gonna suck with 2.5" and i'll need 3" if I want to see any power. Is this true? I'd hate to get this done and not have it work like I want.. what do you think?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    ok cool thanks, i was wondering where other ppl in the area went to..

I have a question for you, I'm gettin my exhaust done right now and the guy is doing a 2.5" x pipe tucked over the axle.. I was just telling my friend about it and he was saying that it's gonna suck with 2.5" and i'll need 3" if I want to see any power. Is this true? I'd hate to get this done and not have it work like I want.. what do you think?
    2.5 wont make that much differance-if you are talking about a true dual exhaust it has to be done with 2.5 pipe because of clearance issues from what I have read. One guy on here has a 550 HP WS6 with 2.5 true duals.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Ok perfect! I asked that in like 3 diff threads and basically got the same answer.. good to know.

Anyway, does that tuner you mentioned have a website?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oops sorry.. guess you already gave it to me lol

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

I know it says $395 for dyno tune, but it says that does not include the dyno time.. how much did you pay?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Oh also, how much are they charging you to install the heads/cam? and are what kind did you get?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Usually it will be $100 to rent the dyno-he uses a couple different dynos in town plus $395. From the people I have talked to he makes sure the car is right-not only more power but drivable. I was also told if you have a problem the dude will make sure he handles it and makes sure you are 100% satisfied. I havent got my car tuned yet but I talked to MANY people on BAMC(bay area muscle cars) and Fbody INC., the people at Tibero performance,and Trans. Phy where I take my car and am telling you what took me alot of research to find out. I talked to trans. phy(Fernando) about just labor on a cam, and supporting mods needed for a cam swap(double timing chain,hardened pushrods,heavy duty valve springs,ti retainers, and for my car '98 a ls6 ported oil pump) he said labor would be around $600 +. I have since decided to go with heads while I am at it and headers-I want to get it all done at one time if I do it(so the price will go up a bit for head install and cam install)-then get it tuned by Jeremy. Also- it took me over a year to find a awsome mechanic who has really fair prices and doesnt rob you- Transmission Physicians. They have saved me a bunch of money and in my opinion they are the best. I wouldnt steer you wrong man. Go to a website called Need2speed.com-its a site for drag racers and muscle cars-trans.phy is a sponsor there-really good site. Maybe I will see you around sometime-later bro.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

ok cool i'll have to check it out.. thanks a lot for the info, and good luck with the car send me a pm sometime or something.. see ya

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

O-forgot- as far as cam choice-I think I am going to go with a Texas speed "magic stick" and maybe afr heads. I might just go with the Texas speed stage 2.5 heads and cam package with a magicstick cam-it has everything needed for a heads/cam swap-cam,heads,double timing chain,gaskets,ls6 oil pump,chromoly hardened pushrods,etc.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

ahh ok, i was planning on getting the 228/228 112 lsa cam, IDK what heads yet.. never seen the magic stick before, how is it diff?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

It is a cam that produces big gains-up to 80 HP on a stock ls1-from what I have read.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

wow... much bigger than the 228 then.. will you be driving your car everyday with that cam?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

There are alot of good cams- I want a cam that wont shake the car apart if I go with one. There are alot of people that know alot about cams and can help you choose the right one for you. What I would do is ask around and talk to people and see what cam /heads combinations produce good HP/tq gains and follow a proven path-or you might make a choice that could have been better for the same money.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh and have you decided on headers yet? Mine sounds real good, just got it done last night.. a little raspy at like 4800 + but not nearly as loud as i thought it was gonna be.. maybe it just seems quiet after open headers lol but I think it will get a little louder once it "breaks in"

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    There are alot of good cams- I want a cam that wont shake the car apart if I go with one. There are alot of people that know alot about cams and can help you choose the right one for you. What I would do is ask around and talk to people and see what cam /heads combinations produce good HP/tq gains and follow a proven path-or you might make a choice that could have been better for the same money.
    ok cool

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I am really unsure what I want. I rarely drive the car so a bigger cam wouldnt be a big deal for me-but I would like to be able to go on trips with the car to the beach. Its a give and take kinda thing.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    oh and have you decided on headers yet? Mine sounds real good, just got it done last night.. a little raspy at like 4800 + but not nearly as loud as i thought it was gonna be.. maybe it just seems quiet after open headers lol but I think it will get a little louder once it "breaks in"

I am thinking pacesetter ceramic coated race style. I want to be able to lower the car if I want plus they are$400 cheaper. I am not usually one to cheap out but I am unsure if qtps are worth the extra money.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Not sure I've never actually seen the pacesetters, but believe me these are some nice looking ones.. real heavy duty and great quality.

As far as clearance goes, you don't lose too much, but since I drive the car every day, I probably won't be lowering it anymore I wanted to but I think I'll be way too low to enjoy driving it around the city.

But seeing as how you aren't gonna be driving it every day, or much at all?.. You should be fine.

I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time, so the way I looked at it, was that in 3-4 years from now I might have to replace some pacesetters because of them rusting or something.. So I would have to buy new ones, 400+400 = 800, QTP's were only 700.. Then I have to either pay to reinstall them or spend time / energy doing it myself. It just seems more logical for me to get these, but it depends on the person's situation

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ thats very true man. Shit I may just go with the QTPs for that reason. I plan on keeping my car until either someone wrecks me out or I aint breathing! hahahaha I think I am gonna put a little more with it and get the stainless.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information