Thread: header problems

black
    2002 pontiac trans am ws6

header problems

hey guys i bought pace seater headers for my 02 trans am and had them profesionally installed along with high flow cats and a custom y- pipe 2.5". after two weeks or less i had a check engine light come on and when i checked the code it said that i had two bad pre cat o2 sensors. i checked the sensors and they are fine. i am now getting about 10 mph or so and i think that i must have messed up my air/fuel ratio. i already have the twin cone volant air intake and i am thinking about installing a 92mm f.a.s.t throttle body and f.a.s.t 92mm air intake manifold along with a diablo sport 2 power progamer. any sugestions as to what could be going on with my car? or if this will fix it? the car only has 41,000 miles on.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kamahlwolf View Post
    hey guys i bought pace seater headers for my 02 trans am and had them profesionally installed along with high flow cats and a custom y- pipe 2.5". after two weeks or less i had a check engine light come on and when i checked the code it said that i had two bad pre cat o2 sensors. i checked the sensors and they are fine. i am now getting about 10 mph or so and i think that i must have messed up my air/fuel ratio. i already have the twin cone volant air intake and i am thinking about installing a 92mm f.a.s.t throttle body and f.a.s.t 92mm air intake manifold along with a diablo sport 2 power progamer. any sugestions as to what could be going on with my car? or if this will fix it? the car only has 41,000 miles on.
    How did you check the O2 sensors? Did you monitor the voltage on them and see that they were properly working? Also, you could have a burnt wiring harness on one of the O2 sensors that came into contact with the headers.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Do what above said you may need o2's. Unless you have at least a cam that money on the manifold is better suited elsewhere like a cam or heads And programmers suck get a dyno tune or a mail order if you cannot find a reputable shop nearby.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Do not get a hand held programmer like the diablo, etc.
    They just lean out your car and play with timing
    Its not good for the car

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

FROST on here does mail order tunes at a VERY competitive price. As long as you stay with your current mods, this would be the cheapest, best deal for a tune to go with.

I've never seen anyone on this chat forum disappointed with his tunes.

Send him a PM.

And I agree on the intake manifold like C5 said. Not worth the money unless you are adding a cam or heads. You already have the LS6 intake. Plenty good for your mods.

black

thanks i appreciate the input. i bought all new o2 sensor wire harneses and no i did not check the sensors themself. the company who sold me the headers told me that the intake would help my problem. so did the machanic who put in my exhaust. so you guys think that a computer yune would be better? also i only did all this so my trans am would be louder and it only got more base. any sugestions on cat back? my headers have
    1 7/8" inlets and 3" outlets. my cats are 3" inlets, 4" catalys and 3" outlets. and the y-pipe is 2 1/2". i was thinking magna flow or slp loud mouth 2.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

thanks i appreciate the input. i bought all new o2 sensor wire harneses and no i did not check the sensors themself. the company who sold me the headers told me that the intake would help my problem. so did the machanic who put in my exhaust. so you guys think that a computer yune would be better? also i only did all this so my trans am would be louder and it only got more base. any sugestions on cat back? my headers have
    1 7/8" inlets and 3" outlets. my cats are 3" inlets, 4" catalys and 3" outlets. and the y-pipe is 2 1/2". i was thinking magna flow or slp loud mouth 2.
    Depends on your budget. Popular choices on here are: GMMG, Borla, Magna, and Corsa.

If you just want straight up obnoxious loud, go LM1 or LM2. You have to be careful with SLP exhaust though. With some brands of headers, the sound is very raspy.

Best bet is to go here and listen to what you like and choose: www.ls1sounds.com

Good luck.

black

no budget. and thanks!

VERITAS / AEQUITAS T/A Addicted's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS-6

My vote is for the Borla and a QTP cut out in place of the Borla adjustment plates. Sounds great!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

go with the magnaflow. you can put out more then 500 rwhp with it and it has a life time warranty and cost less then bor or cors.
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

black
    1998 trans am

let me know if we can help out on the exhaust...

also the others are correct on the intake being good for your mods. Cam and heads then go with the intake.

Frost will do you right on the tune and is top notch guy to deal with.

Thanks,

Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

no budget. and thanks!
    Ouch! Well that pretty much limits your choices... at least for the time being. Hey, I've been there, too, but once you set a plan for yourself, you'll cross that hurdle soon.

BTW, do you own your car, or does a bank or finance company? If you do not own the title, pay that baby off before considering any significant performance modifications. While that may be inconvenient now, it will be sooooo worth it down the road once you own the title!

People often ask me why I give that advice. The answer is simple: The borrower is always a servant to the lender.

black

so how do i contact frost? and also i am new so how do i add a pic next to my name?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

so how do i contact frost? and also i am new so how do i add a pic next to my name?
    http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/ Is his sit or find him on this bord he is a member so just pm him.

Double check that they are plugged in to the front O2 plugs, I have seen guys plug them into the rear plugs.

Thread Information