Header install

This is a discussion on Header install within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Got my longtubes in today, a buddy and I are going to start the install tomorrow, any last minute advice ...

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Header install

Got my longtubes in today, a buddy and I are going to start the install tomorrow, any last minute advice to help the install go smoother? They are coated pacesetters.
    Thank You in advance

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, when you get done, don't attach the rest of the exhaust. Just run open headers for a bit. Its fun as hell.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If your not using Your gonna have to get the car a few feet off the ground to get the headers in.
    Do not use the paper gaskets, use The Gm stock metal ones.
    Do not splice the 02 wires, pick up some extensions
    Be cautious of your plugs, Dont hit any while sliding the lt's in.
    I think it was a 10mm Rachet wrench made life a bit easier.
    Take your time on your manifold bolts, be paitent and try not to break any.
    Any other questions just ask
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Change the spark plugs if they haven't been changed recently.

Replace the motor mounts if they appear worn out, of if you have over 75K miles. With 87,000 on mine the drivers side motor mount was toast.

Get new Header gaskets from GM, or reuse the old ones if they are in good condition. Under no circumstances should you use the paper gaskets that come with the headers, they will most definitely cause leaks.

Get new header bolts if the old ones are hard coming out or going back in. Not worth stripping the head out.

Use antiseize on the header bolts as well. If you get them from GM (ripoff, $4 per bolt) they already have anti seize compound on the threads.

Make sure you connect the header collectors to the y-pipe with Band clamps. Some kits come with them, some come with u-bolt clamps. If you don't have band clamps, get some 3" ones from your local auto parts store, the u-bolt clamps are garbage. They crimp the pipe and cause leaks.

Thats all I can think of now...

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

let the car run for a while before trying to loosen the exhaust bolts on the converters.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

These guys have give you some excellent pointers so far. Removing the starter makes the passenger header go in much easier as well.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    let the car run for a while before trying to loosen the exhaust bolts on the converters.
    And better yet, soak all the exhaust bolts with PB Blaster the night before you are planning to do the install. If not, just soak for a few minutes before you try and take them out. Almost always helps.

black
    00 ws6

i barely squeaked by with the car about a foot and a half in the air. if you can get it higher, do it. find someone with tiny hands to help you with the passenger side. my hands and forearms were covered in nicks and scratches by the time i was done.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

thank you for the tips guys, your advice is appreciated.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

It took about 10 hours total over three days, but the headers are in and the car is running again. Only problem I have now is that the y-pipe under the driver side hits the floorboard when the engine is under load. At idle it vibrates a little too. Is there something I can wedge between the pipe and floorboard that won't melt?

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by vin98SS View Post
    It took about 10 hours total over three days, but the headers are in and the car is running again. Only problem I have now is that the y-pipe under the driver side hits the floorboard when the engine is under load. At idle it vibrates a little too. Is there something I can wedge between the pipe and floorboard that won't melt?
    Check out http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=54. Scroll down till you see LS1 Y-Pipe "Bump Stop" Hanger. That should solve your problems.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

hey guys, just curious but is there a possibility to install headers from the top of the engine bay instead of the bottom?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

doubt it..with the crowded engine bay..bottom is best..wear some clear shades when working under the car..can get dirty and get foreign junk in the eyes..oh yeah...if you still have time/money...think about buying prothane motor mount bushings...you don't really have to..but it avoid the annoying rattling noise ..(headers rubbing on the frame)...besides that..all the buddies from ls1.com pretty much gave you all good tips...good luck man

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by vin98SS View Post
    So now that they're in and aside from bumping the floorboard, how do you like them? Noticable gain? Big change in sound?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    hey guys, just curious but is there a possibility to install headers from the top of the engine bay instead of the bottom?
    I had to drop the passenger side header in from the top on my LT1. The EGR tube wouldn't clear from underneath. But I did have to lift the motor off the mount in order to get the clearance.

Thread Information