Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: header install

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

header install

I just got a set of BBK lt's and am wondering what else should i be installing and/or checking. i will be removing the air and egr systems at the same time as the swap.
    im going to check the spark plugs and change if needed.

black
    1998 trans am

motor mounts if you think youll need them some day

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

All Above and also a ORY pipe, and if you have a M6 check the bushing at the rear of the transmission. Those go over time.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i bought a ory too, forgot to mention that. motor and trans mounts could probably use a changing, it has 140k on the clock.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

my goal for the car is high 11's. pretty much as stuff starts to go im gonna replace it with beefier parts.
    down the road the mods i want are cam prolly 228r, intake, a 9", and will probably add the juice. ill probably need a new clutch injectors, fuelpump, and whatever other supproting mods are nessicary.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

o2 extensions, header gaskets, clamps, egr plug, plug for a.i.r. hole in lid, plugs, wires

Red
    2001 ws6

while your doing the headers just do the plugs and wires if you havent done them recently. Even if they look good its cheap insurance because its MUCH easier to change them with the manifolds off. As far as gaskets go, call a GM dealer and order a pair of OEM GM header gaskets. Most aftermarket header gaskets are cheap and can leak. As far as plugs go i went with NGK TR55 and MSD wires.

Navy Blue Metallic

One other thing, before you start threading the bolts on check to make sure that they are the same length as the old ones. I had that problem with my Pacesetters. Called the company and they seem to have made a change because they sent me replacements 3 weeks later. I used the old ones till I have to take the headers off for something else.

Another thing if you delete the Air Pump and EGR, just pull the fuse out of the box in the engine bay if you plan on or need to add the Air Pump for emissions later.

Test fit everything make sure it looks right before going under the car. A second set of hands helps big time.

Red
    2001 ws6

bolts.....i bought kooks headers and their bolts didnt thread. i ended up using the stock bolts i took out of my manifolds and havent had any problems

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    bolts.....i bought kooks headers and their bolts didnt thread. i ended up using the stock bolts i took out of my manifolds and havent had any problems
    This makes 2 now...

Red
    2001 ws6

i was kinda annoyed that i spent $1,000 bucks on headers and a y and then had to use my stock bolts.....nothing wrong with using them but it was the principle

Navy Blue Metallic

i was kinda annoyed that i spent $1,000 bucks on headers and a y and then had to use my stock bolts.....nothing wrong with using them but it was the principle
    agree, but like my post above I called the company and informed them of the problem. They sent me the corrected bolts.

Impounded

'00 Z28 M6 NBM
    I piss excellence.

I wouldn't have handled that well if I paid someone over $1,000 for headers & they couldn't supply decent bolts.

red
    99 camaro

to OP Im getting the same headers in a week and wanted an update on how the fit was and how they sounded and performed.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

IDK about the ops but my bbks and y pipe fit great no rubbing and they slid right in from the bottom very nice and problem free install.

red
    99 camaro

I didnt know there was room to go in from the bottom... I did a header install on my other ls1 car with mac's back in the day and they had to go in from the top, didnt they??? Did I do it the hard way??? Do you have to drop the cradle or something??? How hard is that BTW???

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    I didnt know there was room to go in from the bottom... I did a header install on my other ls1 car with mac's back in the day and they had to go in from the top, didnt they??? Did I do it the hard way??? Do you have to drop the cradle or something??? How hard is that BTW???
    huh??? if you get the car up on a lift or jack it high enough they slide right in from underneath.....ive never heard of someone doing headers on an fbody from the top.....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

huh??? if you get the car up on a lift or jack it high enough they slide right in from underneath.....ive never heard of someone doing headers on an fbody from the top.....
    Some ppl do shorties from the top. LT's go best in from the bottom, just jack it up about 20" on jackstands.

OP, check the external engine section stickies, great header install writeup there.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

My bolts from Kooks worked fine (received mine in July of 09) , it's their gasket that I had to replace.

red
    99 camaro

^^^ well I done mine from the top when the mac headers were new on the market. I just didnt think they would have enough room to go between the body and motor from the bottom. I will try that way this time in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Information