Header instalation procedures

This is a discussion on Header instalation procedures within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have been debating getting long tube headers for my 2001 Z28 for awhile now, and mostly do to horror ...

Question Header instalation procedures

I have been debating getting long tube headers for my 2001 Z28 for awhile now, and mostly do to horror stories of installing them. I'm looking to the board now to help dispell or confirm these things I have been told, and help make my final decision. A good friend of mine put a set of Hooker long tubes on his 2000 Z28. His tale was that he,

- disconnected the air conditioning
    - disconnected the motor mounts and lifted the engine
    - beat the hell out of them to get them to fit
    - disconnected steerig shaft
    - and it took him almost 2 days

now this kid is not an idiot, and this was on a lift at school. I've read posts of guys doing this in their driveway and not being so much of a hassle. That being said I have access to a lift for the installation, but is any or all of this true. I'm not disconnecting my air to put in headers. It's been my expierence that any time you play with the air, it never seals right again and always leaks. I also plan on using either Kooks or Pacesetters so I don't know if they may fit better. And if your wondering why I'm choosing between Kooks and Pacesetters. Supposedly a buddy of mine lives next door to Kook's grandson and can get me a deal on a set. If thats true than I'll go with them. But I'm planning on the pacesetters if you get my drift.

Don't know about an LS1 but on the LT1 you have to remove the alternator and started, get it jacked and its still a 7-10 hour job depending on how much time is required with all the inevitable overlooks such as rusted/stripped bolts, gaskets not lining up etc.

England but from TX

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

I'm thinking the AIR pump for your cat not the HVAC system that he removed.

1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

IF your buddy had to do all that to get headers on something's not right! I've heard of those problems on an LT1 but not the LS1. Here take a look at this guy's notes, they are pretty accurate.

Thread Information