Thread: header gaskets

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

header gaskets

Short story. local speed shop installed headers y-pipe etc in april. 3 days ago I had a exhaust leak on left side, 4 of the header bolts were almost out, I re-tightened them, but still have leak. Taking hawk back to have the gasket replaced with the factory ones again. ? should they be responsible for all parts & labor or would you think they will expect me to pay all due to it maybe being out of warranty now. I think maybe I should pay for the gaskets & let them eat the labor. need some input on this.........................

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

header bolts loosen all the time. usually after a few hundred miles they should be re-tightened. if you scrape the headers or y-pipe this will make them loosen faster. if it becomes a problem, you can buy locking bolts.

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

They have been tightened twice. the car has had 6,000 mi since install. The header system came complete with everything to do the install bolts gaskets etc. The headers have never been scraped or hit. I feel that the speed shop should eat the labor at least. I guess I'll find out when I take it back to them.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Chances are they wont eat up the labor, Which gaskets did they use? Make sure you pick up a good set of Gm Oem metal gaskets and you should be good to go. If they used that paper crap then thats the problem. Like said above you can pick up some locking header bolts and forget about them backing out on ya.
    If they wont eat up the labor just get a rachet wrench and take a few hours and replace both of the gaskets.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

SunsetorangeSS they used the factory gaskets that were on the stock manifolds. they were the oem. Since my last post I've called them and had them order another set of oem gaskets to replace them with. I think I will get the locking header bolts so I don't have this happen again.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Did they get new ones or did they re-use the old ones? When i did my Lt's i re used my old ones because the car only had 3000 miles on it but either way they should have used new ones. Let us know how it goes.
    J

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't really see a problem with using the old ones myself since they're metal. I actually wouldn't replace them in this case if the metal ones are in there and just tighten all the bolts back down.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Rare99Firehawk View Post
    ... I think I will get the locking header bolts so I don't have this happen again.
    I used Stage 8 bolts with the "C" clip fasteners on my headers. They're a good piece of mind knowing that they're not going to loosen. Make sure you get the fastener set right on the header flange so that it won't back out a half turn before it makes contact and stops. They not that bad clipping on, but watch out if you ever have to take them off.

Thread Information