Red
    2002 SS

Header bolts....leaks question

This is for you guys with headers. Do you have any problems with the header bolts backing out and leaks?. I am considering the Coated pacesetters but I do not want to be tightening bolts and or replacing gaskets that leak every few hundred or thousand miles. What is your experience with them. I have been bolting on headers since the 70's and they can be a pain in the arse as far as leaks.....and yes you used to could buy some blackjacks for $49.00-$69.00 or some 1 7/8 Hookers for $159.00 for your 67-69 Smallblock Camaro and they were alot easier to change than an 02 SS Camaro. I know they make quality header bolts Stage8 etc etc but what have you discovered with these LS1 Camaros??

Thanks

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

I put a set of pacesetter ceramic coated LTs on my car last summer. I used the bolts that came with the headers. I've checked mine three times and they have not backed out any yet. I used a set of percys dead soft aluminum gaskets and have had no problems with leaks. I think most people use stock replacement gaskets though.

Red
    2002 SS

Percys

Them percys cost you $35-$50.00??? I know they are good.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

I wanna say they were like 60 shipped I was going to get their locking header bolts also but they were out of stock and i couldn't wait.

red
    2000 camaro ss

locker header bolts are good way to go. just gotta check them header bolts every now 'n then.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I always go back and re-torque the bolts after a heat cycle or two when putting them on but after that I haven't had any issues with them. I bought stage 8 bolts but to be honest with you putting the locks on there was a bigger pain in the ass than just retorquing them. Not to mention if you pull the headers off for something now you got those locks to drop all down the sides of the motor when you're removing them.
    Not sure if you've seen the stock gaskets but if you do you'll understand why people either replace with stock or re-use their old ones. Gaskets have come a long ways. Stock gaskets are 2 ply metal gaskets.

Thread Information