White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Header bolt removal

I was wondering can i use WD40 to remove header bolts, they are on there pretty tight and ofcourse a bit rusty. What have you guys used to loosen the bolts other then a wrench and muscle, lol.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I was wondering can i use WD40 to remove header bolts, they are on there pretty tight and ofcourse a bit rusty. What have you guys used to loosen the bolts other then a wrench and muscle, lol.
    wd40 might help. i've found it best to get the motor hot and carefully break them loose without burning yourself.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    wd40 might help. i've found it best to get the motor hot and carefully break them loose without burning yourself.
    this is the same as a spark plug change, you want the motor dead cold. use a good penetrant like pb blaster or something, not a lubricant. metal expands with heat, but it doesnt make the bolt hole bigger, it makes it smaller at the same time the bolt is expanding.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    this is the same as a spark plug change, you want the motor dead cold. use a good penetrant like pb blaster or something, not a lubricant. metal expands with heat, but it doesnt make the bolt hole bigger, it makes it smaller at the same time the bolt is expanding.
    you would think, but ive had luck using the hot method on more than one aluminum headed engine....why I dont know, it shouldn't work, but it does

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is no room to do it on our cars, but candle wax works great on a stuck bolt. Warm up the bolt and surrounding area with a propane torch and press a candle stick against the base of the bolt head. The melted wax wicks into the threads quite nicely in most cases.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    There is no room to do it on our cars, but candle wax works great on a stuck bolt. Warm up the bolt and surrounding area with a propane torch and press a candle stick against the base of the bolt head. The melted wax wicks into the threads quite nicely in most cases.
    Interesting, never heard of that one.

Usually I just soak rusted fasteners in PB Blaster as early as possible before I have to remove them, let it set, and then use either an impact or regular wrench. In the case of the header bolts, about the only thing thats going to get in there is a ratchet and socket or a regular wrench. WD40 is damn near worthless, its a jack of all trades - claimes to do everything, but does nothing particularly well.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

PB Blaster is a older muscle car enthusiasts best friend...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Interesting, never heard of that one.

Usually I just soak rusted fasteners in PB Blaster as early as possible before I have to remove them, let it set, and then use either an impact or regular wrench. In the case of the header bolts, about the only thing thats going to get in there is a ratchet and socket or a regular wrench. WD40 is damn near worthless, its a jack of all trades - claimes to do everything, but does nothing particularly well.

I use WD-40 all the time to clean plastic parts and wire harnesses on older cars. Actually used it to clean my front inner wheel houses on the Trans Am. Also use it on engine parts to ward off moisture while awaiting a rebuild. But I agree - can't think of a single time that it has freed a stuck bolt.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Just did mine today. PB blaster and let it sit overnight. came out put my righty glove on grabbed the 10mm socket on a 3/8's ratchet, counted to three and gave a quick tug (for some reason I do better when I can focus all my energy, so counting down is my thing). All 12 in no time.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

PB blast it when its hot let it set over night then they come loose smoother than Obama can talk.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

When you reinstall them use anti-seize on the bolts and you won't have a problem again.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

PB blaster does wonders for me

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    you would think, but ive had luck using the hot method on more than one aluminum headed engine....why I dont know, it shouldn't work, but it does
    i agree it shouldnt work, but i know on heavy equipment size stuff you can heat it up w/ a torch and sometimes break fasteners loose as its cooling down. might the same principal as the aluminum will cool much faster than steel. i dont know, i flunked physics class. come to think of it, i never had physics class.

Black
    1998 Z28 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    PB blaster does wonders for me
    Had to use it one time to get my boot out of my brother in laws ass after he pissed me off!

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by robert 98 View Post
    Had to use it one time to get my boot out of my brother in laws ass after he pissed me off!
    i heard it works on stuck rubbers too.

Thread Information