Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

Header bolt broke off in head?

I just put LT headers on my car and i noticed when i pulled the factory stuff off, there were only 5 bolts on the driver side while the passenger side had 6.
    And at first i thought maybe it was made that way, until i put the headers on and there was a slight exhaust leak around cylinder 1 but when i try to put a bolt in it, it wont go in far enough to thread.

if it is a broke off header bolt how can i get it out without pulling off the head and taking it to a machine shop?

Red
    2001 ws6

cant you see the bolt? is it sticking out from the head or is it in the head....if theres a small peice of the bolt sticking out theres options

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

i can not see the bolt at all.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

should be able to get a small right angle drill in there, i used an air powered on, took forever though. my back two were busted off, got one drilled and tapped but the passenger side broke my extractor off in the hole and i couldnt drill though it so i made a bridging bracket.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

If you spray it down with WD-40 or PB blaster a few times and let it soak will it still have issues with breaking bolts. I plan on spraying some WD-40 a few times and letting it soak overnight before taking it to the exhaust shop for the header install. Also lsgunner28, whats a bridging bracket ?

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I took the torch to a piece of 5/16 steel scrap i had here to bridge from the 6th cylinder header bolt to the bolt hole that is back an 1 1/2" from the last header bolt on the passenger side so that it pinched the header back to the block. ill see if i can get a picture..

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

it was broke off when i bought my car but didnt leak with the factory exhaust manifoldS. yea get a pic posted of the "bridge" you made

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

WOW,,,Funny,,,
    I had to yank my drivers side cylinder head off,,and even though its all stock,,I had the 6-th bolt busted off too in the cylidner head,,,the one closest to the fire wall,,,
    I left it,,,i had no leak before,,and have none now,,,

I wonder if the factory just over torqued them,,or a common vibration broke them,,

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

i cant get a good pic with everything in the way.. sorry man.

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

well i was debating if i wanted to pull the head off or pull the whole motor and trans out to fix it and do a little work to the motor and trans while it was out. But i figured i would try option 3. i went to advance auto parts and bought some stuff in a tube that is used to patch or seal up header cracks and holes. So i loosened the header and pulled away from the motor while i squeezed the metal patch liquid behind the cylinder 1 exhaust port. Let it drive for about 36 hours and doesnt leak at all. been driving it for 2 days now and now problems yet. so needless to say it was alot cheaper(10 bucks) than pull motor out or apart!

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by usafshelley View Post
    well i was debating if i wanted to pull the head off or pull the whole motor and trans out to fix it and do a little work to the motor and trans while it was out. But i figured i would try option 3. i went to advance auto parts and bought some stuff in a tube that is used to patch or seal up header cracks and holes. So i loosened the header and pulled away from the motor while i squeezed the metal patch liquid behind the cylinder 1 exhaust port. Let it drive for about 36 hours and doesnt leak at all. been driving it for 2 days now and now problems yet. so needless to say it was alot cheaper(10 bucks) than pull motor out or apart!
    Good thinkin. That stuff should hold up pretty well too.

Thread Information