Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Having "gunk" build up around the Intake Maniold *PICS*

This is a discussion on Having "gunk" build up around the Intake Maniold *PICS* within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer Theyre open FBJ. This is how i have it set up! Without the catch can though ...

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Theyre open FBJ. This is how i have it set up! Without the catch can though and without blocking off the rear of the passanger cover....

This is the correct way to route it if you decide to run a catch can. I picked up an RX performance can after I saw the ammount of oil in my intake while switching over to a FAST setup. No way I wanted all that carp in my $1000 intake.
    Last edited by Spaz; 12-21-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i completely agree

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

OP, I know I'm late jumping into this but here are a couple of threads that can help you out and give you options for the PCV set up

Explaination of OEM PCV vs LS6 VCT Mod

LS6 valley cover in pics

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Never too late. Good info but i still do not get the concept of hooking a hose into the catch can from the vacuum on the intake manifold. Wouldnt that just suck the same exact oil youre trying to prevent right back into the manifold from the catch can?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Never too late. Good info but i still do not get the concept of hooking a hose into the catch can from the vacuum on the intake manifold. Wouldnt that just suck the same exact oil youre trying to prevent right back into the manifold from the catch can?
    Nope. The oil drops to the bottom of the can so the intake gets clean air. That clean air is better for the fuel mixture (not diluted with oil) Technically speaking a better combustion chamber process, so there is a slight advantage there. You also keep all the oil build up off the intake valves, the tops of the pistons, and the intake itself.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

oh i see. so the oil is too heavy for it to get sucked into the intake? ok. So basically you have to keep an eye on how much oil you have in the catch can because if it gets too full and fills up to where that vacuum hose is sucking in, it will basically suck pure oil in?

If it gets full I would assume oil would pass to the intake. I just make a habbit of checking it at every oil change. I only find that it fills an aerosol can lid about 1/2 way after 3,000 miles. It's not very much. Some are worse than others though.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i see. makes sense. Thanks!

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm like FBJ, I check mine at oil changes too and get the same amount. I did check it the day after I went to the track just to see how much it would have and I seem to pull a little be more. I guess the high revs can still push the oil. Glad the CC caught it.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-21-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Also one more thing that I didn't see anyone cover yet. To clean up the grim you need to:

Get some Simple Green and mix with water a 50/50 solution, spray on the motor when cool, you can do it warm but that means it will dry faster then you want. Let it sit for about 10 mins. Next I use a garden hose that is set on the shower setting on low pressure and wet it lightly again, then get a brush & rags and start scrubbing all over. I never spray the fuse box, battery or PCM. Rinse real good and you have several options for drying off. Rags, air dry, left blower, even a hair dryer or heat gun if you really want to go that far. Just never force the water up the air filter or pcm.

It will knock off a crap load of grim and make it look much better. Just be smart about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information