Thread: h x y pipe?

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Exclamation h x y pipe?

i have a 35th anniversary ss (a4 vert) and im doing exhaust first. I already have the slp loudmouth installed and i just recently bought coated lt hooker headers. I am now wondering which setup, being the h x or y pipe, would work best performance wise for the car. I know that if i buy the x or h i will no longer need the loudmouth setup cause i could prolly dump them right there. Hopefully i could get this in by the end of month. thankss

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'd go with the X pipe, but not dumping them under the car. The noise and fumes inside the car would be obnoxious.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

when i had my duals (w/cats, xpipe and dumpped)the fumes werent bad at all...actually, there werent any..i later found out the cats were hollow If you wanna keep the LM get a catted Y. It will be far too raspy. Most go x or y...not many if any do Hs.

Black
    99 SS

go X, i got one laying at my house if your interested in it???? yea no fumes at all and it does not rattle. noise is not bad i have this exact same set up

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Question

so if i do the x pipe i would either do a custom job to go over the rear end for the exhaust or i could just end it right there with another muffler?
    how much would u be willing to sell the x pipe for?

thankss

Black
    99 SS

if you do an X pipe your doin true dual exhaust, and u can end it before the axle if you want or take it over the axle, check out the sticky about true dual exhaust there are pics on there of a bunch of different set up's

Black
    99 SS

i like the sound of the H pipe, just does not flow as well as the X pipe thats all

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

sounds good. i think im probably going to do the 3inch pipe cause i got plans for internals and such by the end of the year. but would u recommend going all the way back or stopping at the pipe with two mufflers?

Black
    99 SS

well what do you want?? its going to prolly cost 300-400 more to go over it since a lot of fab work is required to do that, i love the sound of mine, do the 1 chambers if your going to do flowmasters its loud and very deep and very agressive. and they are only 72 a piece from summit

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

ill probably do the dumps with the flowmasters, sounds like the perfect idea. im on a somewhat tight budget right now because i just bought the headers. But what material would i buy the pipe as?

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    go X, i got one laying at my house if your interested in it???? yea no fumes at all and it does not rattle. noise is not bad i have this exact same set up

im actually very interested now. how much would u be willing to sell it for?

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by sstud View Post
    im actually very interested now. how much would u be willing to sell it for?

um, i could get it to you for 80 bucks man, brand new in box never installed, it got here to late for me to use so i had to borrow a buddys X pipe for the time being, its a REALLY REALLY good desin im auctually kinda pissed i cant use it on my set up its the magnaflow one its for a 3" system

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by sstud View Post
    ill probably do the dumps with the flowmasters, sounds like the perfect idea. im on a somewhat tight budget right now because i just bought the headers. But what material would i buy the pipe as?

everything total endedup costing me 350-400 for everything, i got cut a big deal by my friends, just look around man

BLACK
    2004 Monaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    i like the sound of the H pipe, just does not flow as well as the X pipe thats all
    Myth...

Whats not to flow with an H? The purpose of balancing pipes is to share the exhaust pressure waves across each bank, not to flow air. A H likely offers less restriction to an X for all out power, as the design is still a straight through for each bank. The H pipe fits between banks and interferes in no way with exhaust flow.

The only advantage of an X is the better scavenging effects as both exhaust streams kiss or sometimes merge. However, that merge increases exhaust flow rates tremendously and in a resticted X design will cost you power. The same laws of flow apply with an X. If you have dual 2.5" pipes, the X_sectional area of the X at the merge needs to be 3.5". Almost all I have seen are much less than that.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

For all out sound, why not just let the two pipes blast out and talk to eachother on their own as they come out the rear of the car? In other words do not use a "X" nor a "H" pipe. You just might like the sound that you get without the use of the "X" OR "H" pressure equalizing crossover. You know that is what we did back in the day, two pipes NO CROSSOVER, and we had some sweet sounding cars. The use of an X pipe or the H pipe softens the sound a bit by pressure equalization and takes the real bang out of the sound. Try the exhaust without the X or H. If you don't like the sound, you can always add an X or H pipe later.
    JEB

Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

I actually have this done right now... I plan to put headers and some form of exhaust later... but for over a year now ive had just the manifolds the cats and turndowns off the cats aimed slighty to the sides of the car.. It sounds really good to me and people actually comment on how tough it sounds frequently.. performance seems to be fine as well.. im sure some gains would be seen with some crossover pipe or a y merge.. but i cut the cat back off to save the 80 some pounds of weight.. along with taking out my rear seats and sparetire and jack..

try different setups man thats really the only way you'll find waht works best for you.. find a good exhaust shop tell them what you are thinking.. they tell you price.. too much say the lowest amount you want to spend.. they say no.. bargain a little.. if they still dont... walk away.. thats what i do - i wont pay more than what i think is fair for 20-30 minutes of work... ive had probably 10 different setups on 3 cars all formulas or trans am- and i just try something out for a while - get bored switch it.. Hooker mufflers are my favorite so far.. tough sound not too loud and flow better than most muffs.. flowmasters however just sound sweet.. but then again open headers no cats is just great have fun man- experiment

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0 View Post
    Myth...

Whats not to flow with an H? The purpose of balancing pipes is to share the exhaust pressure waves across each bank, not to flow air. A H likely offers less restriction to an X for all out power, as the design is still a straight through for each bank. The H pipe fits between banks and interferes in no way with exhaust flow.

The only advantage of an X is the better scavenging effects as both exhaust streams kiss or sometimes merge. However, that merge increases exhaust flow rates tremendously and in a resticted X design will cost you power. The same laws of flow apply with an X. If you have dual 2.5" pipes, the X_sectional area of the X at the merge needs to be 3.5". Almost all I have seen are much less than that.

if you coustom make your X pipe

or buy one like this(mine)

then i think u will have a lot better flow then an H pipe.

now for the straight pipes w/o any crossover i think sounds like a redneck truck(not trying to bash) but i had it on my Chevelle before i started to research exhaust and i absoulety HATED the sound, it was very loud and just annoying, it was just kinda like droning all the time, and there was just no note, i auctually liked open headers better then just two pipes into mufflers

Thread Information