Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

H pipe Vs. X pipe (You Make the choice for me)

This is a discussion on H pipe Vs. X pipe (You Make the choice for me) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; dont mean to jack this thread but it would be kinda pointless to start another one How many of you ...

wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar

NBM
    01 SS M6

dont mean to jack this thread but it would be kinda pointless to start another one

How many of you guys run cats with TDs? and were you able to re-use your stock ones?

Red
    2001 ws6

are you looking to run cats with TD's.....if you could i wouldnt

NBM
    01 SS M6

I wish but AZ emissions are a PITA

NBM
    01 SS M6

It doesnt sound like shit does it?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

On my next car I fully intend to run hiflow cats

Red
    2001 ws6

if you could get some1 to pass you id run no cats.....im sure you can find some1 to pass you if you wave a 20 in there face

Black
    99 SS

fuck cats

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    fuck cats
    fuck stinky exhaust!!! I miss being able to drive my car places when I'm dressed respectfully and don't want to smell like I'm burning a hole in the ozone layer. burning a hole in the ozone layer is fine, smelling like it in public isn't

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

What does AZ emissions test consist of?

NBM
    01 SS M6

they're just really strict, they inspect under the car(for cats and o2 sensors), sniff it, check for codes.

I probably just need to look around, some dude will probably pass me for an extra $20...

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    fuck stinky exhaust!!! I miss being able to drive my car places when I'm dressed respectfully and don't want to smell like I'm burning a hole in the ozone layer. burning a hole in the ozone layer is fine, smelling like it in public isn't
    Sounds like you are just running too rich and need to fine tune it a bit.

None of my cars have cats, both carbed and fuel injected, and I don't have the stinch you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBomber View Post
    they're just really strict, they inspect under the car(for cats and o2 sensors), sniff it, check for codes.

I probably just need to look around, some dude will probably pass me for an extra $20...
    Your user box on the side says you are both from Prescott Valley and Scottsdale.

Prescott Valley is Yavapai County,,,,they don't have e-checks in that county.

Emission testing is only in Maricopa and Pima counties, which encompass' Phoenix and it's surrounding little suburbs (aka Scottsdale) and Pima covers Tuscon.

Whats with Prescott Valley on your user name? Have relatives up there? You could register the car up there possibly? Only catch would be Arizona's stipulation of living in Yavapai county but working or having regular business in Maricopa still requires an e-check.

NBM
    01 SS M6

I live between Scottsdale and Paradise Valley(not Prescott), both of which are in Maricopa County

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sounds like you are just running too rich and need to fine tune it a bit.

None of my cars have cats, both carbed and fuel injected, and I don't have the stinch you speak of.
    My dyno sheet says she's not rich.

You're telling me that if you stand behind one of your non-catted cars when it's running, you can't tell by the smell that it isn't catted? Because anybody that knows anything can stand behind ANY car when it's running for a few seconds and tell you if its catted or not.

NBM
    01 SS M6

You're telling me that if you stand behind one of your non-catted cars when it's running, you can't tell by the smell that it isn't catted? Because anybody that knows anything can stand behind ANY car when it's running for a few seconds and tell you if its catted or not.

Exactly, they don't have to stink. I would rephrase that statement and say,,,you can stand behind a car that is not catted and tell when it needs more tuning. Your idle tuning could use a little tweaking.

I have found with the fuel injection,,,,tuning the LTFT most people shoot for -3 or -4. Thats too rich in my opinion at idle and low throttle,,,,then you will get a fuel smell from the exhaust. I usually shoot for 0 or -1 at the most.
    I can tell a major difference going from -3 to 0,,,,It doesn't take much.

With carburated cars it's a little more involved but the same thing can be accomplished.

Where you might have a difficult time is an aftermarket camshaft with alot of overlap. This causes reversion and can attribute to a raw fuel smell,,,,but in this case even a converter won't clear that up totally. And in most cases the fuel injection camshafts destined for the street don't have that much overlap.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-26-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I have have two vehicles with no cats, one of them is a bored and stroked jeep inline 6. Other than being a little louder than normal you cant tell that they have no cats. Hell, I took the jeep to a shop and had a friend test emmissions just for the hell of it(I am exempt) and It runs cleaner then stock cars do with cats.

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    I have have two vehicles with no cats, one of them is a bored and stroked jeep inline 6. Other than being a little louder than normal you cant tell that they have no cats. Hell, I took the jeep to a shop and had a friend test emmissions just for the hell of it(I am exempt) and It runs cleaner then stock cars do with cats.
    Exactly,,,,when I bought my 70 formula out in Sacramento, CA it had to be smogged before I took it out of the state back home
    I was there with the previous owner and the tech, the owner assured me it would pass, it had been through testing many times.
    Sure enough that old bird ran so clean the tech was shocked, gave me the print out and told me it was cleaner than most of the new cars that came through
    It can be done. It just take a little more work and fine tuning than most people care to spend the time on.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I didn't say it smells like raw fuel, I said it smells like exhaust. All exhaust has a smell, period. My car smells like any other uncatted fbody, shitty. Maybe you're null to it, maybe you're not as sensitive to it as me, as I am VERY sensitive to smells, but EVERY car without cats has a different exhaust smell than a car with cats and to think it runs cleaner burning without cats is absolutely rediculous and to be quite honest, a stupid statement. I'm not saying they can't run "clean", but you would have to have MAJOR egr going on to pull off cleaner than catted cars

I'm pretty sure texas speed knows how to tune.

Oh well, I have only been making a living tuning carbed cars for the last 30 years. I don't think people would have been coming around that long if I wasn't doing something right

They didn't have EGR in 1970, and didn't have cats either, the fact that this car sniffed cleaner than most of the new stuff that passes through that shop is not all that unusual. I have seen many older (pre smog era) cars burn rather clean,,,,cleaner than everything? NO,,,,but not all these catted cars are the cleanest running either. These older cars do not contribute to ozone destruction as much as our "beloved" government would like you to believe.

The internet, TV, and yes even our government are full of misinformation. It's hard to seperate the good from the bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information