Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6

H pipe Vs. X pipe (You Make the choice for me)

What setup would you all run? I am going to make a custom dual exhaust for my 1999 ls1 camaro. I will be running bullets and the exhaust will go out the back. My dilema is i love the sound of an h-pipe but i would like the power of an X-pipe.
    How much power would i gain from a x over an h??????
    My car is a daily driver with stock cats and manifolds and i wont change the manifolds because i live in california . I just need to know how much power i would gain with the x pipe setup and what your personal opinions are

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

H pipe. What'll you lose? 3hp?

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    H pipe. What'll you lose? 3hp?

Ya that is what i was thinking and it is not worth the extra $50 for an x pipe but i want to do it once and do it right.

NBM
    98 trans am

i would go X just because H reminds me of a mustang... and ive never seen or heard of a trans am or camaro with an H.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro SS

The gains of an X over an H are minimal.
    It comes down to which one you want: Do you want the extra 2-3 hp OR a better sounding exhaust note?

And an H pipe on an LS1 sounds MUCH different than a mustang.

I personally went with an H pipe,magnaflow high flow cats, and 10 series Flow master race mufflers, because I wanted a deep and clean exhaust note.
    I am VERY satisfied with how mine sounds, and if it cost me a few HP so be it.

Go to some get togethers and listen to everyones ride, then make up your mind.

Scott
    2000 SS Arctic White (only 32k on the clock).

Lid,ASP U/D Pulley,LT's,Custom H-PipeTD's , FlowMaster 10 series,MagnaFlow High Flow Cats,LS6 intake, P/P TB,STB, SFC's,LCA's & PHB,Stall comming...

Red
    2001 ws6

x all the way

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

go true duals
    screw a crossover pipe.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    go true duals
    screw a crossover pipe.
    Why?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

H and X pipe are considered true duals.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I would think that an X pipe might make it easier to get more clearance. I know with the way mine is setup I have had no scrapping problems at all.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

go true duals
    screw a crossover pipe.
    That doesn't make sense.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

ive been thinking getting a X pipe and getting rid of my ORY, my question is where can i find a X pipe or H pipe that is made for a LS1?
    Last edited by AF1Strider; 10-24-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

You can get one made at a good muffler shop. Not sure how the rest of the exhaust will do with it though, but I would think most good places could fab something up for you.

NBM
    98 trans am

go true duals
    screw a crossover pipe.
    .........................wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by AF1Strider View Post
    ive been thinking getting a X pipe and getting rid of my ORY, my question is where can i find a X pipe or H pipe that is made for a LS1?
    Bassani makes the only real dual exhaust system for these cars that uses an X pipe setup in the system if thats what you are after. Otherwise it's going to be custom for cars like these.

I prefer the X-pipe for the simple reason that it's been shown for years to produce more power over the entire rpm curve,,,,you may be talking 2-3 HP but it's 2-3 HP over the entire curve,,,thats more important than peak numbers that so many put emphasis on.

I have tried both H and X pipes on my Chevelle and I have found no sound difference between the two.

I currently use Dr Gas X pipes. If you want to get picky, you can tell them specifics about your car and they actually custom make the X for you, tailored to your particular engine, they can change the diameter of the hole, the shape, the position etc.. etc...where the pipes intersect to accomplish different things. I have found them worth a few ponies.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

ok thanks for that info on where to get X pipes. ive been thinking about it, i just didnt know where to look.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Bassani makes the only real dual exhaust system for these cars that uses an X pipe setup in the system if thats what you are after. Otherwise it's going to be custom for cars like these.

I prefer the X-pipe for the simple reason that it's been shown for years to produce more power over the entire rpm curve,,,,you may be talking 2-3 HP but it's 2-3 HP over the entire curve,,,thats more important than peak numbers that so many put emphasis on.

I have tried both H and X pipes on my Chevelle and I have found no sound difference between the two.

I currently use Dr Gas X pipes. If you want to get picky, you can tell them specifics about your car and they actually custom make the X for you, tailored to your particular engine, they can change the diameter of the hole, the shape, the position etc.. etc...where the pipes intersect to accomplish different things. I have found them worth a few ponies.
    HAve you forgotten about the most popular dual exhaust for Fbodies there is? TSP. It may be dumped but is still true duals.

I have an x and have a friend with the same exhaust with an H, our cars soud VERY different. Both 2.5 inch duals, both with headers, both with 1 chamber flows, only his has an H and I ahve an X. I am VERy jealous of the low rumble he has

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    HAve you forgotten about the most popular dual exhaust for Fbodies there is? TSP. It may be dumped but is still true duals.

I have an x and have a friend with the same exhaust with an H, our cars soud VERY different. Both 2.5 inch duals, both with headers, both with 1 chamber flows, only his has an H and I ahve an X. I am VERy jealous of the low rumble he has
    No I left them out on purpose,,,,,,just kidding, actually I'm not a big fan of that type of setup on a street car. It may be popular with the kids but I don't care for it. First of all, these Fbodies are not designed originally with that type of system in mind, with no floor pan clearance under the back seat the mufflers and pipes in general just hang too low,,,,and looking from behind the car it just looks like there is something ready to fall off. You just can't tuck it in there tight enough to keep it out of sight. These newer 4th gens are just too nice of a car to go doing something like that to,,,,just my opinion but if it's what you guys like, then more power to ya.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    No I left them out on purpose,,,,,,just kidding, actually I'm not a big fan of that type of setup on a street car. It may be popular with the kids but I don't care for it. First of all, these Fbodies are not designed originally with that type of system in mind, with no floor pan clearance under the back seat the mufflers and pipes in general just hang too low,,,,and looking from behind the car it just looks like there is something ready to fall off. You just can't tuck it in there tight enough to keep it out of sight. These newer 4th gens are just too nice of a car to go doing something like that to,,,,just my opinion but if it's what you guys like, then more power to ya.
    I understand your reasonig, and I personally don't care for dumps either. to say that bassani makes the only ones just cause you don't like the others is alittle misleading though

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28 View Post
    The gains of an X over an H are minimal.
    It comes down to which one you want: Do you want the extra 2-3 hp OR a better sounding exhaust note?

And an H pipe on an LS1 sounds MUCH different than a mustang.

I personally went with an H pipe,magnaflow high flow cats, and 10 series Flow master race mufflers, because I wanted a deep and clean exhaust note.
    I am VERY satisfied with how mine sounds, and if it cost me a few HP so be it.

Go to some get togethers and listen to everyones ride, then make up your mind.

Scott

good set up, i only run the 10 series mufflers, and i love how they sound with an H pipe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information