Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Grrrrr!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Grrrrr!!!!!!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ive got hooker LTs and ORY and borla cat back and i like the sound but if youve ever seen ...

Red
    02 Firehawk

Ive got hooker LTs and ORY and borla cat back and i like the sound but if youve ever seen the design of the cat back the passenger side is louder if you stand out back and listen closely but in the cabin you cant tell and a friend has LTs and ORY and the hooker cat back and it sounds great too

you could also go with a set of Bassani true duals if you dont mind spending the $$..... I would rather do that than trust it with a local shop unless you know what kind of work they do for sure.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by TMF
    Kelly, did you have to lift the motor off the mounts ? hows ground clearance ? Have you seen the new SLP mufflers for the loudmouth, there's like 3 differant levels. You replace the 4" chamber section with one of their new mufflers.
    Hell no, those headers were so easy to install. The only thing I removed from the car besides the obvious (manifolds + y pipe etc) was the passenger side coil pack - just so I could get more room to get to those bolts. Obviously the spark plug wires need to come out too but all the plugs can stay in. Both headers slid right into place with very little problems. Ground clearance is fine, my car is pretty low anyway so it's not much of a difference. I just can't get over people paying $900 for headers when you can get these pacesetters so cheap and the fit is just unreal.

I bought them used so I had to get new gaskets - the GM ones work fine and are affordable. Also got new header bolts too for some extra insurance, since my car is high mileage (80k) didn't want to risk breaking a bolt off into the block.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire
    you could also go with a set of Bassani true duals if you dont mind spending the $$..... I would rather do that than trust it with a local shop unless you know what kind of work they do for sure.
    I do mind spending $$ and exhaust is not something I'm willing to spend a lot of money on because I know it only takes a few bucks to fabricate - companies make a killing off of it. I do my own installs and my car will never see a shop. I'm ordering a magnaflow as soon as I can decide who's got the best price on them...I love the stainless, the tips, and the fit is incredible (had one on the white car).

Black
    99 SS

check out the WS6 store

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    Hell no, those headers were so easy to install. The only thing I removed from the car besides the obvious (manifolds + y pipe etc) was the passenger side coil pack - just so I could get more room to get to those bolts. Obviously the spark plug wires need to come out too but all the plugs can stay in. Both headers slid right into place with very little problems. Ground clearance is fine, my car is pretty low anyway so it's not much of a difference. I just can't get over people paying $900 for headers when you can get these pacesetters so cheap and the fit is just unreal.

I bought them used so I had to get new gaskets - the GM ones work fine and are affordable. Also got new header bolts too for some extra insurance, since my car is high mileage (80k) didn't want to risk breaking a bolt off into the block.
    Thanks for the good info Kelly, I've heard horror stories with other brands. I don't know what they cost new, but I'll check it out.

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by keliente

Nice...are the Pacesetters supposed to be better than the Hookers?

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm having the same questions. Good to see your on LS1.com too keliente. Who knew it would be the same debate on two forums!

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    Nice...are the Pacesetters supposed to be better than the Hookers?

I talked to a guy named Eon that is a mechanic for GM in Irmo, SC. He does third gen motor performance stuff on the side and works with some nascar pit crew. He said the Hooker lt's take him four hours to install, that is with a lift. He said that they are a pain in the ass and you have to drop the engine and transmission out of the bottom of the car as far as the harnesses and hoses will strech to put them in. Idk just a thought.

Off topic, but he also mentioned that on the flow deck, the Patriot Performance Heads flow almost as good as AFR's. Just another thought.

rays00ramair
    i got tsp rumbler similar to loudmouth but its got what looks like a glasspack.its loud but not inside the car.love that primal scream at wide open.hits you in the soul.but i am going to a manaflow in place of the glasspack hope to tame the noise some.sick of the cops saying its too loud as a harley goes buy shacking our guts and he doesnt seem to notice that!!!!!

The Magnaflow sounds pretty good too......not too loud like the LMII with headers..... good buy for those of us without endless pockets.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

me and a friend put a set of Jet Hots LT's on in 3.5 hours without removing the motor or tranny or unbolting anything (with a lift). the worst part was getting the stock shit off, it took about 2 hours, by the way the guy at Jet Hot wouldn't say but let on that their headers resemble Hookers alot hint hint. Another friend of mine installed the Pacesetters(on jack stands in his garage, it took the better part of a day), and they had a little better clearance than mine and were a little cheaper, they both looked almost identical. both sound good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information