Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Granatelli waste of money!!!!!

This is a discussion on Granatelli waste of money!!!!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hurley711 This is the thing that confuses me. Lid-usual 10 hp gain-$90 Cutout-usual 10 hp gain-less then ...

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    This is the thing that confuses me.

Lid-usual 10 hp gain-$90
    Cutout-usual 10 hp gain-less then $75 welded in
    FREE RAM AIR mod...FREE..usually good for a 6-10 hp jump specially up top at highway speeds....FREE

GMAF...claimed 10 hp....$280? Why so much? $280 gets you uncoated headers and a nice 20-25 hp gain for the same price. I agree with above that the $280 is overcharging your customers just a bit too much, especially for something that comes with questions about it's gains.

Keep this thread UNLOCKED because of the simple fact that it is good for both sides of this eternal argument to get their sides out and on the table for everyone to read. Specially when it is the sponsor directly responding to the detractors.
    Electronic Stuff cost more money - hell for $280 you can find used Nitrous kits and they make 150hp

Yellow

The simple fact is that our part is a simple bolt on that does not require dyno tuning. Porting a meter is inconsistant.

Again we back up our BS. If you install our part and you are not happy we will give you your money back. If it pings or throws an SES light then call us and we will fix it - BUT NOT YEARS LATER

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

here's something to kinda help you out. i didn't buy yours. i bought the vinci MAF ENDS. used the stock MAF sensor. just replaces the end. at the time, the wife's car only had VHP lid and filter, bassani headers w/catted y-pipe and borla 3" adjustable catback. this on stock tune. the stuff works. i just don't see the need to buy a MAF sensor is all. yes, there was a 2rwhp PEAK difference. but, look after peak. there's an 8 rwhp gain. yes, it didn't do much overall, but you need more air the higher the rpms you go.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Where did all the torque go in that 2nd pull??

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

it didn't. see the wonderful spike at the beginning of the before run, converter flashed. that's why you never look at just peak numbers.

2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=We introduced the 85mm MAF for the F-body. SLP was quick to copy our part and several of you were quick to jump on the SLP meter. Some said they made more power with the SLP. That is like saying your car runs faster with blue paint instead of black paint. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. LOL![/QUOTE]

I painted my car blue and picked up 2 tenths. Thanks for the advice!

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Ponti-MANIac
    I painted my car blue and picked up 2 tenths. Thanks for the advice!
    Funny stuff - the dyno graph does show my point 2 ways. It shows the engine benefits from a laminar airflow gain and it also shows that MAF ends alone do not produce the same results and calibrated parts

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

so, your MAF sensor itself is recalibrated? i would like to compare your entire MAF sensor to just the ends i have. help you end this debate. right now, i'm currently involved in some nitrous testing with the ls1tech board coming up in april. be a good time to jump in on this dyno time i have. if you want to.

nitrous nozzle testing

Yellow

Wet or dry testing? What other changes are done to the car? We can scale a meter to your needs but if you are having someone flash a tune then we need to work "with" them not against

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

this is wet kit testing. but, i would test your meter out NA. just as most would buy it from you. will be my 00 formula. using factory tune. just like when i tested the MAF ends on the wife's 99 formula. put it on and see what happens.

mods on the 00 formula are:
    slp airlid
    k/n filter
    bassani tru-dual exhaust
    3.73 gears
    yank py3400e

seeing as you mentioned that you can scale a meter to my needs, when purchasing your MAF sensor, should all buyers be doing that? and if so, is it mentioned at time of sale by the vendors and yourself?

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23
    this is wet kit testing. but, i would test your meter out NA. just as most would buy it from you. will be my 00 formula. using factory tune. just like when i tested the MAF ends on the wife's 99 formula. put it on and see what happens.

mods on the 00 formula are:
    slp airlid
    k/n filter
    bassani tru-dual exhaust
    3.73 gears
    yank py3400e

seeing as you mentioned that you can scale a meter to my needs, when purchasing your MAF sensor, should all buyers be doing that? and if so, is it mentioned at time of sale by the vendors and yourself?
    I was lead to believe that you had more done to your car. When you said Vinci ends I assumed they did a reflash for you. Our meter as delivered is would work fine for your application. I offered to scale it based on dry nitrous set up.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

i have two cars. both in my sig (when it shows up).

1999 pontiac formula (the wife's car)
    2000 pontiac formula (mine)

if you are interested, i will test the stock MAF (on car now and will be used for n2o tests), the vinci MAF ends, and yours. all out of the box, on factory stock tune, as most would buy the product.
    Last edited by mrr23; 03-13-2006 at 03:20 PM.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

question - are your MAF sensors recalibrated initially? if so, what basic parameters do you use to make the calibrations. if this gets into proprietary information, i'll understand if you do not divulge.

for instance, is the MAF sensor recalibrated to a vehicle that has some bolt ons, such as intake, exhaust. or is it based on a stock vehicle with no modifications? or is it just based on new diameter and flow of the changed design? my understanding, as i'm not super smart with electronics, is that to rescale for a MAF change is to change the MAF tables in the PCM. this would lead me to believe you are changing the output frequency of the MAF ( this is the proprietary part i was speaking of ).
    Last edited by mrr23; 03-13-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Yellow

question - are your MAF sensors recalibrated initially? if so, what basic parameters do you use to make the calibrations. if this gets into proprietary information, i'll understand if you do not divulge.

for instance, is the MAF sensor recalibrated to a vehicle that has some bolt ons, such as intake, exhaust. or is it based on a stock vehicle with no modifications? or is it just based on new diameter and flow of the changed design? my understanding, as i'm not super smart with electronics, is that to rescale for a MAF change is to change the MAF tables in the PCM. this would lead me to believe you are changing the output frequency of the MAF ( this is the proprietary part i was speaking of ).
    We put each and every MAF on our flow bench. We know what a stock meter is supposed to output so after we make the meters larger we go back in and rescale to that parameter. When a person changes the ends or ports their own meter it now moves more air then the meter is reporting to the ecm so it goes lean. In other words the meter moves more air then the sample elements are reporting. We go in and rescale it to be precise again. Therefore our meter should not make the engine run lean.

As for free parts to test. Like I said we have a money back guarantee so if you are not happy with the results we will refund your money. The meter was just tested by Chevy Hi 2 months ago and produced the same results it always does 10hp

We also offer the HP meter. This device allows the end user to scale their meter in multiple planes (levels) It even has the ability to rescale when it sees boost or nitrous.
    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmmafamatic.htm

As an added benefit is will display real-time HP as a function of airflow so it does not require inertia to make it work

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli
    As for free parts to test. Like I said we have a money back guarantee so if you are not happy with the results we will refund your money. The meter was just tested by Chevy Hi 2 months ago and produced the same results it always does 10hp
    wasn't looking for free parts to test. ( yes, two places have donated parts to test or help with the test that will get returned when finished ). i'm spending enough money with the nozzle shootout as it is. ( my donation to the testing, my car my paying for the dyno time )

just offering up the dyno time for yet another independant test. seeing as CHP just did one, no need to do another one.
    Last edited by mrr23; 03-13-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Yellow

wans't looking for free parts to test. ( yes, two places have donated parts to test or help with the test that will get returned when finished ). i'm spending enough money with the nozzle shootout as it is. ( my donation to the testing, my car my paying for the dyno time )

just offering up the dyno time for yet another independant test. seeing as CHP just did one, no need to do another one.
    Great - I wasn't trying to be rude. I just get this all the time

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

i understand. that's why i'm willing to help out. once people see something from someone they can relate to, then it either gets worse or better. depending on the outcome. people see vendor and magazine results as trying to show the best from a product. they see an individual test it and get results, they tend to believe it more.

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

black
    99 Z28

Granatelli isnt going to let you test it because they can't see the results 1st and don't wanna post bad results from an independant test. That would make their company look bad compared to all their rival competition that sells the same part or similar part for half the price. Save the money and get LS1 edit or HP tuner.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

l'd show them the results first. just like i did in the n2o nozzle test i did. it was just an offer. up to him, if he wants to. there's been plenty of tests done by mags and other places on his part.

i get the same kind of posts about the vinci/crane rockers. people keep saying the rockers don't work. i show them my results along with the magazine results. it comes with the territory.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information