Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Granatelli waste of money!!!!!

This is a discussion on Granatelli waste of money!!!!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ...

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    I think it's safe to say that people who don't spend all day on the dyno, are more than likely people who will not see up to five hundred plus horsepower from their LSx's. That being said, the stock Mass Air Flow sensor will be more than adequate for their needs...

Adding a larger MAF to a "bolt on" LS1 is a lot like adding a three inch exhaust to an anemic 305 engine... the concept is great, but it does absolutely nothing. Now, if we're talking a good H/C/I combination, then this would obviously be a completely different story.
    Well, we are close but still no cigar. Your analogy is like saying a cold air lid won't help a stock engine. It increases airflow and reduces the restriction in the intake track. Therefore, it picks up power. There are way too many guys on the boards dating back to 1998 that have gained power with this simple mod. I have received tons of props over the years and I have taken a beating from others. I recognize that a few guys have said negative things about the meters but it always comes back to the guy that says “his tuner said”. Sorry your tuner need to get off his but and work. Not flash a canned tune he gave several other guys before you showed up

So I put it in her butt.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

The stock MAF is not the limiting factor as far as air flow.

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

Well.. if your running a semi-aggressive/aggressive cam and head set up…. The Granatelli was the only way to go in my eyes. 85MM MAF Sensor, 90MM FAST Throttle Body and 90mm FAST Intake Manifold. With Patriot Stage II Heads and coupled with a cam that has a 224'ish 580'ish lift on a 113 or 114 duration = modern art masterpiece
    No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by johuckabee
    The stock MAF is not the limiting factor as far as air flow.
    So are you trying to say the lid is? There have been tons of posts on Laminar airflow.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Laminar+Air+Flow
    Last edited by Granatelli; 03-06-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

hey "granatelli" i have a HPP3 that needs to be reset, if this is something you could do could ya pm me some info and i'll give ya the whole story...??

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli
    Well, we are close but still no cigar.
    Is that right.

Your analogy is like saying a cold air lid won't help a stock engine....
    Whoa there fella, that is completely false. First of all, the stock LS1 Mass Air Flow sensor is not a limitation. Secondly, I used the concept of a three inch exhaust on the LB9/LG4 engine, because the 305 doesn't make "that" much power to begin with, stock, to take advantage of such an increase in diameter....

There are way too many guys on the boards dating back to 1998 that have gained power with this simple mod.
    There are also many racers in the real world who've gained absolutely nothing at the track, with this simple mod of your's...

I have received tons of props over the years and I have taken a beating from others. I recognize that a few guys have said negative things about the meters but it always comes back to the guy that says “his tuner said”.
    Been tuning my own engine's for quite sometime, and have burned hundreds of chips for my Third Generation F-Body's. Been tuning LT1's for the last ten years, while delving into LS1's these last two. If you carefully inspect my first post again, you'll find that I mentioned a good H/C/I combination. With a good set of heads, aggressive cam and Fast 90/90 set up, yes, the Granatelli shine's.

... but, if we're talking "stock", it's a complete waste of time. Again, the stock MAF is more than adequate of up to five hundred horsepower, This has been proven countless times, so, you're point of; "It increases airflow and reduces the restriction in the intake track. Therefore, it picks up power", is completely irrelevant.

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Formula
    hey "granatelli" i have a HPP3 that needs to be reset, if this is something you could do could ya pm me some info and i'll give ya the whole story...??
    I can't reset a Hypertech

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    Is that right.

Whoa there fella, that is completely false. First of all, the stock LS1 Mass Air Flow sensor is not a limitation.

... but, if we're talking "stock", it's a complete waste of time. Again, the stock MAF is more than adequate of up to five hundred horsepower, This has been proven countless times, so, you're point of; "It increases airflow and reduces the restriction in the intake track. Therefore, it picks up power", is completely irrelevant.
    It is OK to agree to disagree. And I truly appreciate the props as it relates to Heads, Cams and Injectors However, your number of 500hp is equivlent to 800cfm. At 800cfm the factory meter has over 45"H2O across it. That's a ton of vacuum. Again we worked with Delphi to develop the MAF that came stock on all Z06's and standard on 2001 to 2004 Corvettes. A simple change from the 80mm to 85mm MAF produced 5hp on the GM Dynos with no other changes. The reason is Laminar Airflow (while the engine injests about the same amount of air (5hp is only 8scfm) it can do it with far less pressure drop across the meter Hence the power increase.

GMS Mass Airflow Sensor: From Customer Emails
    I put a red GMS mass airflow sensor on my red 1998 Formula Firebird and it looks great. Since the installation, the car feels a lot better on acceleration. - J.M.

Hi, I recently bought one of your MAF's for my 1998 Camaro Z28. I am very happy with your product. I am a disabled Vet and I am very limited with physical activity. Your maf was very easy to install. - E.F.

I went back to the track Friday with my stock MAF installed. I thought you'd be interested in knowing the results. The car was linearly slower without the GMS MAF sensor. The 60'was about 1/10 slower. It was about 2/10 slower at the 1/8th mile. And the 1/4 was about 3/10 & 3 mph slower. (13.50s @ 103 vs. 13.20s @ 106) The only real variable was the MAF. Other than that, the car had an identical setup.
    - M.G.

TAFOSTERWS6
    Pish Posh

and this thread was dead for five months...........its alive now!

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Just have a quick question on the Throttle Body combo with the MAF ... I have a ported Throttle Body and felt a loss of power at low end and was wondering if the combo would help ...
    99 WS6 Trans AM
    Hurst Shifter
    Aftermarket Throttle Body
    KN Air Filter
    Strut Tower Brace
    Z06 Rims

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6MAN
    Just have a quick question on the Throttle Body combo with the MAF ... I have a ported Throttle Body and felt a loss of power at low end and was wondering if the combo would help ...
    I wish I could say yes for sure but I can't promise. a lot of guys say when they ported the t- body they drop at the bottom but gained in the middle and top.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I installed a Gran. MAF not to long ago, the only noticable difference is when your in the really high RPMs. I'd recommend doing the entire intake to keep up the bigger airflow (Manifold, Throttle Body, Lid, & Bellow).

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    I installed a Gran. MAF not to long ago, the only noticable difference is when your in the really high RPMs. I'd recommend doing the entire intake to keep up the bigger airflow (Manifold, Throttle Body, Lid, & Bellow).
    Like I alwasy said - you are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain - so yes the whole package as a combo helps more then just 1 part

Black
    98 Trans Am

Like I alwasy said - you are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain - so yes the whole package as a combo helps more then just 1 part
    I'd always heard the MAF wouldn't become the weak link until after 500 hp.

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW346
    I'd always heard the MAF wouldn't become the weak link until after 500 hp.
    Again - I keep telling you guys that is not true. The meter allows the engine to ingest air with less restriction. PERIOD. it is like breathing through a garden hose or a fire hose. Either way it is enough air but the fire hose is still better

I have to chime in here after reading Granatellis customer reviews. They are just rediculous. The first two like it cause it was red and easy to install. The last one said he picked up .3 in the 1/4. Thats like 30 HP. WTF.
    I am not here to bash anyone but those are the silliest customer claims you could have posted.
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by onyx_rock
    I have to chime in here after reading Granatellis customer reviews. They are just rediculous. The first two like it cause it was red and easy to install. The last one said he picked up .3 in the 1/4. Thats like 30 HP. WTF.
    I am not here to bash anyone but those are the silliest customer claims you could have posted.
    et is not indicative of HP increase MPH is. The 3mph gain represents 23hp increase. Again his words not ours

I took the reviews from the website - I could have hand picked a ton but I just took the last 3 that came in. It is not uncommon for autotrans cars to pick up torque big time with the meters. The tables (map) in the Auto trans cars are whimpy

This is a dyno run done by Pop Hot Rodding in 99 - these are their numbers not mine.

I just purchased a combination of the Granatelli air induction lid, K&N filter, and Granatelli air mass sensor. I wasn't too happy about throwing out $500, but I wanted to get the maximum performance out of my new 2001 SS SLP Camaro. I have to say that this ride went from "real fast" to "I defy anybody to catch me from behind". I'm at about 364 rear wheel horsepower right now. Your product definitely works as well as advertised in my car. Thanks a lot guys !! - B.S.

I have a 02 Trans-Am with factory ram air option. I installed a K&N filter and GMS Mass air flow sensor + Flowmaster muffler. Of these mods the GMS Mass Air Flow sensor was the most bang for my buck. Great product, I have and will recommend to people at the strip. My 1/8 mile times improved from 9.3 sec / 77 mph to 9.0 / 80 mph with just these simple, cheap, safe mods. - C.W.

1994 POS

We introduced the 85mm MAF for the F-body. SLP was quick to copy our part and several of you were quick to jump on the SLP meter. Some said they made more power with the SLP. That is like saying your car runs faster with blue paint instead of black paint. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. LOL!
    So you're basically saying you're selling the same part as SLP that they sell for $180 but for an additional $100+ cost to your customer?

It also amazes me that the Z06 Maf can be purchased with a harness for a 5pin to 3pin+2pin with the temp sensor at a price less than $130. Then the hotrodder can have the table put in by a tuner on a dyno who's going to be busting their balls over your resistor for the same price they're already paying for the tune.

Granatelli Lower the price if you want more business

1994 POS

Now a 90mm MAF, that would be something with a 90/90 setup... back to the drawing board for your R&D so you can charge unreasonable prices for 2HP

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information