Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes

GRANATELLI MAF sensor.

This is a discussion on GRANATELLI MAF sensor. within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos Work better....yes Gain power? Not enough for having to drop $250 for the MAF and ...

white

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Work better....yes
    Gain power? Not enough for having to drop $250 for the MAF and $500 for a tune.
    well thats it.... the problem is not the maf is the tunning isn't what everybody wants a diff tune, better then stock??? frost can do that for like 120 bucks??? rite??? now u have a new mod but like a said before i never spend 300 dlls for a new maf if i get use and works fine thats enough for me no??

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by TOMASINO View Post
    well thats it.... the problem is not the maf is the tunning isn't what everybody wants a diff tune, better then stock??? frost can do that for like 120 bucks??? rite???
    Frost I bet would smile yet again.... at someone wanting to change out MAF's. If you havent noticed, the resident tuner here doesnt condone messing with the stock MAF until all the HP requirements are made. All this thread needs is...

WOW, I got my new (aftermarket) MAF and put it on and noticed a HUGE difference in HP.

THEN I ported it myself and it was craay extra mad horsepower.

It really would just make the thread.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

well thats it.... the problem is not the maf is the tunning isn't what everybody wants a diff tune, better then stock??? frost can do that for like 120 bucks??? rite???
    Problem is, every car is different. The problem IS those MAF's. They aren't calibrated for our computer.
    Plus, they aren't going to add enough airflow to actually make a difference in power. The stock MAF is NOT a bottleneck by any means.
    SLP and Granatelli MAF's tend to lean you out. That is how they can make claims of power gained. Lean equals power, but also equals detonation which can lead to serious problems internally.

Just stick with the stock MAF and spend the money elsewhere. Like a hooker.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Another point that hasn't been brought out...isn't the lid and the stock TB 75mm. so 75 into 85 back into 75 isn't really gonna do you any good.

white

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Problem is, every car is different. The problem IS those MAF's. They aren't calibrated for our computer.
    Plus, they aren't going to add enough airflow to actually make a difference in power. The stock MAF is NOT a bottleneck by any means.
    SLP and Granatelli MAF's tend to lean you out. That is how they can make claims of power gained. Lean equals power, but also equals detonation which can lead to serious problems internally.

Just stick with the stock MAF and spend the money elsewhere. Like a hooker.
    hooker like a hooker or hooker parts???? hahahahah well said thanks for the help...

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Probably depends on what you are in more need of...LOL!!!

white

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Probably depends on what you are in more need of...LOL!!!
    a NEW MAF SENSOR hahahahaa k im done..

white
    1999 Z28

wow!!! i bought my car with the gmaf already on and it was tuned post install but the previous owner gave me the original maf... should i put it back on and get it retuned???

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

well thats it.... the problem is not the maf is the tunning isn't what everybody wants a diff tune, better then stock??? frost can do that for like 120 bucks??? rite??? now u have a new mod but like a said before i never spend 300 dlls for a new maf if i get use and works fine thats enough for me no??

One more comment here and I'm sticking a fork in this thread...

The GMAF and 'ported MAF's' are disliked from my (and should be your) standpoint because most often, they are not repeatable in our cars. If you make 3 pulls at WOT with NO changes to the tune and you get a different WOT AFR each time then I consider that trash. Some of the GMAFs, though making the cars very lean, can be tuned and act repeatable. I don't know if their cals wander off over time because I have never had to revisit one. At any rate, because these units are all over the board, I won't even ATTEMPT to mail order tune for one, I'm not a psychic. If you want to keep a GMAF or a raped (sorry I meant ported) MAF, you will need to bring the car in for tuning, not mail me a PCM.

The bottom line with a MAF swap is that it WILL drastically alter your WOT AFR. If you don't have a wideband to check it against, it doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me for people to swap them. The MAF's SOLE JOB is air mass estimation, why are people so obsessed with screwing with this part of their car? Why do we have to have like 50 threads about this?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Looks like I'll be putting the stocker back on. At least until I finish my mods and get a tune. Since the stock maf is off I think I'll clean it b4 I put it on. What do you guys recomend to clean it with? Do they make a MAF cleaner or would carb cleaner work?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

They make a MAF Cleaner you can buy at almost any autoparts store. It does not leave a residue like some spray cleaners can.

Red

Back to the original poster, what mods to the car? You mention the same generic Bolt Ons that everyone says, but which? Do you have headers? You may get tiny improvements in air flow here and there, but until you get serious and improve the airflow at the cylinder (like you would with a head/cam/intake), you are just mickey-mousing. The MAF you added did not make the car any better, and may have made you run lean. No biggy, a good tuner can fix that. You are not flowing enough air to need to worry about restriction at the MAF. Also, you should not be flowing enough to run out of range on the stock MAF. The lid mod is noisy, but that is because you defeat some intentional restrictions GM added to make more people happy with the NVH of the car. Other than intentional items like that, you should not hear horsepower. Remember that noise and heat are wasted energy. As for the air-pump arguement, it gets over generalized and abused. Louder is not faster. You will eventualy hit a point where some noise is a compromise for making power, but not why you make power. The wrong cam lobes for your taste will drive you nuts!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Stock MAF... I too am one that tried out the aftermarket world of MAFs and now back on a stock MAF... the aftermarket one kept throwing my tune (A/F) off from 13.1 all the way down to 11.2.
    Very unusual indeed..............

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I guess I need to swap back to long tubes, ORY and Loudmouth, since HP can be heard now.
    My exact setup lmfao,

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information