Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

gmmg

This is a discussion on gmmg within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; /\ - Good points. Also, a high velocity flowmaster merge does wonders for rasp also, since most of the merges ...

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

/\ - Good points.

Also, a high velocity flowmaster merge does wonders for rasp also, since most of the merges on these aftermarket Ypipes are garbage. This is a WELL worth while mod for anyone running an aftermarket Ypipe..

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    One thing about "sound clips" on the net. Try to find clips of the car actually moving. Exhaust is going to sound totally different while under a load, as opposed to somebody just revving the piss out of the car while it sits still. I've heard tons of exhaust systems over the years that didn't sound that good while revving from a stop, but sounded great under WOT.

Also, I've done back/back testing on the Hooker before. On a 460rwhp heads/cam car, the Hooker muffler only gave up 5HP to the wide open cutout. That's pretty impressive for a $300 catback. Hooker also has a flange at the rear that can be unbolted, and you can drop the entire rear section of the catback for racing if you wanted to.

Some more food for thought.
    i know what you mean i wish i could hear it live but i don't know anybody with a T/A i know a guy that had an SS with an SLP Exhaust he like it. sound clips right now are what i have to go off of.

i will have to look into those hooker headers do you have any pics of the flange unbolted? dang this is rough cause ur right about some systems costing a lot less did u have a GMMG exhaust before?

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    If your considering headers and y pipe later, then choose your catback wisely now. All LT headers and ORYs create some or a lot of rasp. The catback will determine how bad it is gonna sound. Magnaflow seems to be the catback of choice to eliminate most or all of the rasp. But there are others. There are also other methods to kill rasp, like adding an additional bullet muffler in the I-pipe or using a different muffler.
    If you are gonna go with a catted y pipe in the future, then just about any catback will sound nice. The cats really knock down and kill the raspiness.
    That's what i am try to do and that's what making me so indecisive on this. i have the money for it but it wold be nice to save and place an extra mod here and there. I thought i made my decision with GMMG exhaust but not a whole lot of feed back on it and everyone in NM pushes Flowmaster. what exhaust are you running?

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

i will have to look into those hooker headers do you have any pics of the flange unbolted? dang this is rough cause ur right about some systems costing a lot less did u have a GMMG exhaust before?
    GMMG with an ORY sounds like pure ass. The rasp @ 2500 is horrible FYI. My experiences with GMMG are a little different. Their shop is in my home town and I have a lot of inside info on them. Lets just say you'd shit if you knew how much those systems "cost", opposed to what they sell for.

As for the flowmaster, I was ONLY referring to that merge collector. Flowmaster mufflers for the F-body catback are HORRIBLE. Look into the Hooker or Magnaflow for the most cost effective that flows well.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Sfgore_21 View Post
    That's what i am try to do and that's what making me so indecisive on this. i have the money for it but it wold be nice to save and place an extra mod here and there. I thought i made my decision with GMMG exhaust but not a whole lot of feed back on it and everyone in NM pushes Flowmaster. what exhaust are you running?
    Kooks 1 7/8" LT, ORY, and Borla 3" adjustable catback. It rasps between 2000 and 2500ish rpm at medium to heavy throttle. WOT and light throttle it sounds great! I'm currently considering adding a Borla or Magnaflow bullet muffler in the intermediate pipe to rid me of the annoying rasp.
    On my car, the rasp sounds worse inside the car then outside. I had my friend drive by me 5 times and it didn't sound too terrible (still not great though).

If I were you, I'd just get the Magnaflow quad tip cat back. Looks really great on a Trans Am
    Last edited by Cutlass; 04-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

There's tons of options. GMMG is a rip off. You're paying $800 for some aluminum pipes and 2 chambered glass pack style mufflers. Not too mention their customer service sucks.
    GMMG is all t304 stainless, better stainless than what magnaflow uses from what i remember

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah Magnaflow uses 409 SS, which won't look as nice as 304 SS after some time.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sfgore_21 View Post
    if your trying to avoid rasp I feel like I have accomplished that pretty well. borla catback w/hf catted slp y pipe. there is absolutely no rasp(even at wot) and between 2500-3000 rpm under light-moderate throttle it trumpets like a cobra and at cruising speed it sounds deep like a truck. I recently replaced the borla muffler that came with the system for just a pipe cuz I wanted it louder. now it always trumpets. last time I took it to a dyno the owner told me he thought my car was a stang as he heard me coming. imo that's a complement cuz I like the way the 4v's sound. If you'd like I can make a cruising vid for u. I do plan on putting the borla muffler back on tho when I get LT's cuz the rasp will be crazy w/o a muffler

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

My Borla wide open (no plate) didn't rasp one bit with stock manifolds and stock catted y. LTs and ORY made it rasp

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have QTP headers but went witha ory to save money. Headers fit great and look good since there polished stainless. But yes the catback and cats will determine the sound if you go with a catted y pipe SLP Lm1 and other bullet mufflers along with that cat back hooker sells will be alot less raspy. I love the GMMG sound but I was going to order the stainless works chambered exhaust since several places like WS6store and other major online retailers had them, not cheaper but better customer service. Since I have no cats I went with a SLP PowerFlo catback with the LM2 muffler off the y and the two powerflo's right at the rear welded to my Corsa clones from afterthoughtsauto.com and love it, deep and pretty quiet at idle and cruising buy loud at WOT on hardly any raspyness.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

GMMG with an ORY sounds like pure ass. The rasp @ 2500 is horrible FYI. My experiences with GMMG are a little different. Their shop is in my home town and I have a lot of inside info on them. Lets just say you'd shit if you knew how much those systems "cost", opposed to what they sell for.
    This The GMMG INC. Right? cause isn't there a different company that now offers it i don't think i can post the company name cause its a non sponsor here . Or it that the company that your talking about?

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Kooks 1 7/8" LT, ORY, and Borla 3" adjustable catback. It rasps between 2000 and 2500ish rpm at medium to heavy throttle. WOT and light throttle it sounds great! I'm currently considering adding a Borla or Magnaflow bullet muffler in the intermediate pipe to rid me of the annoying rasp.
    On my car, the rasp sounds worse inside the car then outside. I had my friend drive by me 5 times and it didn't sound too terrible (still not great though).

If I were you, I'd just get the Magnaflow quad tip cat back. Looks really great on a Trans Am
    Borla Sounds pretty good on a stock car but i am not sure i want to pay a G on it. I like The Magnaflow Too IDK .

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

This The GMMG INC. Right? cause isn't there a different company that now offers it i don't think i can post the company name cause its a non sponsor here . Or it that the company that your talking about?
    Correct. There is another company offering GMMG now as well.
    Borla Sounds pretty good on a stock car but i am not sure i want to pay a G on it. I like The Magnaflow Too IDK .
    Agreed. Paying for Borla is almost as bad as paying for GMMG. It's not worth it.

I've been building LTX/LSX cars for 13 years, and I've seen every catback on the market perform on the dyno and the track. I can tell you from experience that these $600-900 catbacks are NOT worth $600-900. Not even close.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information