Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Getting Pacesetter Race LT's

I have a 98 Z28 and i'm planning on getting the race version of the Pacestter LT's and an TSP ORY. However, i know it is more complicated then just taking the manifolds off and putting the headers in. I know not to use the crap gaskets, i know to get the o2 extensions. My problem is...When i get the Race version LT's, what additional things will i have to do? I'm confused as to what the EGR is, and what to do about that as well.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

This sticky will help as far as install and FAQs. I used it to install mine. (I have the same headers/ORY set up)

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117548

A couple of things from my install. Check your header bolts, compare the ones they gave you and your old ones. I had to use the old ones because the ones that came with the headers didn't have a rounded tip like the OEM's. You'd think it doesn't matter however it does. Your headers will not seal. I talked with Pacesetter after my install and they sent me the correct ones, I'll put them on next time I have to drop my headers. Test fit every thing, before you get under the car. make sure you have no issues. Look under the car and get an idea of how the the ORY is laid out. Also the tunnel brace will most likely not be put back on. No worries, lots of guys have not been using it *(raises hand). If you really want one, UMI makes one and KySpeed sells it (ask for Mark, also a member here.)

EGR and Air Pump are in the sticky above. With those headers you will delete EGR/Air Pump/Cats and rear O2's. You will need a tune for your PCM. Frost (member/sponsor) has done mine. Another excellent guy and is highly recommended on this board for tuning. You can have it out and back with in a week depending on shipping. You can run your car with out, however at idle it runs rich and WOT runs lean. After tune you will feel a difference. Any other questions just ask or pm.

Added: You will need to plug the spot where the ERG goes into your intake manifold, some guys used something from HD or Lowes, not sure wht, but I spent the $20 and got the EGR Intake Block-off, check with sponsor they may have it cheaper.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 03-18-2010 at 08:08 AM.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    This sticky will help as far as install and FAQs. I used it to install mine. (I have the same headers/ORY set up)

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117548

A couple of things from my install. Check your header bolts, compare the ones they gave you and your old ones. I had to use the old ones because the ones that came with the headers didn't have a rounded tip like the OEM's. You'd think it doesn't matter however it does. Your headers will not seal. I talked with Pacesetter after my install and they sent me the correct ones, I'll put them on next time I have to drop my headers. Test fit every thing, before you get under the car. make sure you have no issues. Look under the car and get an idea of how the the ORY is laid out. Also the tunnel brace will most likely not be put back on. No worries, lots of guys have not been using it *(raises hand). If you really want one, UMI makes one and KySpeed sells it (ask for Mark, also a member here.)

EGR and Air Pump are in the sticky above. With those headers you will delete EGR/Air Pump/Cats and rear O2's. You will need a tune for your PCM. Frost (member/sponsor) has done mine. Another excellent guy and is highly recommended on this board for tuning. You can have it out and back with in a week depending on shipping. You can run your car with out, however at idle it runs rich and WOT runs lean. After tune you will feel a difference. Any other questions just ask or pm.

Added: You will need to plug the spot where the ERG goes into your intake manifold, some guys used something from HD or Lowes, not sure wht, but I spent the $20 and got the EGR Intake Block-off, check with sponsor they may have it cheaper.
    on top of what was said do yourself a favor get some pb blaster and spray down the bolts on the exhaust to make it easier. Also have someone help you it makes the job a lot easier.
    Have fun and enjoy the open header startup
    02 NBM Z28, A4
    Polluted, Pro Flo, Yank 4k, and lots of other things.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

SMWS6TA... I just got a custom exhaust that is 3in back from the stock manifold with a magnaflow muffler and an electronic cut off but after the y-pipe. Do you think that my car would run funny without the tune? I do not have cats but my check engine light isnt on. Yesterday however while going through the drive through i noticed the car getttin exceedingly hot faster than usual but that could have just been my cooling fan! I dont know if that has anything to do with my new exhaust but perhaps you have a little insight on the subject or anyone for that matter, its freaking me out.

I plan on getting tuned by frost but i didnt know that i NEEDED to do so otherwise the car wouldnt run right unless you are talking about specifically the headers lol and im just talking for no reason!

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    SMWS6TA... I just got a custom exhaust that is 3in back from the stock manifold with a magnaflow muffler and an electronic cut off but after the y-pipe. Do you think that my car would run funny without the tune? I do not have cats but my check engine light isnt on. Yesterday however while going through the drive through i noticed the car getttin exceedingly hot faster than usual but that could have just been my cooling fan! I dont know if that has anything to do with my new exhaust but perhaps you have a little insight on the subject or anyone for that matter, its freaking me out.

I plan on getting tuned by frost but i didnt know that i NEEDED to do so otherwise the car wouldnt run right unless you are talking about specifically the headers lol and im just talking for no reason!
    Do you have the air system removed? do you have 02 sims?

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

No, i do not think so, i believe they simply drilled and placed the O2 sensors back where they originally were on the stock exhaust =/

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

No, i do not think so, i believe they simply drilled and placed the O2 sensors back where they originally were on the stock exhaust =/
    hmmm...
    pictures?

so it goes headers (are they long tubes)
    to custom off road y
    to single with cutout
    then over axle and done

The stock manifolds connect right to the cats. It sounds like you do have cats and the rear 02 sensors right after them. Im confused show pictures or someone else help out

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Its stock headers.. =( i can afford the long tube headers to be installed. I wish i had pictures. I still owe some people pictures lol. The 3in exhaust is a custom y pipe and the piping even goes up and you cant see the ends at the front of the car. There is about 5 in or less of clearance because its all 3in instead of the flattened pipe that was originally there.. every inch that you can see is 3 inch all the way into a cut off.. but the cut off isnt place very good soo thats aggervating.. then it goes back into a magnaflow muffler and chrome dual tips but im sending the exhaust back in for stainless tips today or tomorrow.
    Last edited by smkn gts; 03-18-2010 at 10:58 AM.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Its stock headers.. =( i can afford the long tube headers to be installed. I wish i had pictures. I still owe some people pictures lol. The 3in exhaust is a custom why pipe and the piping even goes up and you cant see the ends at the front of the car. There is about 5 in or less of clearance because its all 3in instead of the flattened pipe that was originally there.. every inch that you can see is 3 inch all the way into a cut off.. but the cut off isnt place very good soo thats aggervating.. then it goes back into a magnaflow muffler and chrome dual tips but im sending the exhaust back in for stainless tips today or tomorrow.
    hmmm...ok i understand im just shocked that you aren't throwing a code b/c no cats and the rear 02s sensing that.
    Have you thought about installing the long tubes yourself?

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I have and i have had offers to help but i dont know if i even have the parts to perform a job like that but i get this feeling i will some day lol.. i cant believe i am not throwing a code either, in fact its rather fishy.. my cruise control has been acting up and the car got hot so fast, im almost concerned that the wiring for the cut off or something is messing up my computer or something.. maybe its all in my head

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

I have and i have had offers to help but i dont know if i even have the parts to perform a job like that but i get this feeling i will some day lol.. i cant believe i am not throwing a code either, in fact its rather fishy.. my cruise control has been acting up and the car got hot so fast, im almost concerned that the wiring for the cut off or something is messing up my computer or something.. maybe its all in my head
    are you sure your "check engine light" is functioning? My car the bulb was blown or was pulled out by the previous owner.

Navy Blue Metallic

I read down the posts. O2sweet has been guiding you in the right direction. I'd go to autozone and have them check for codes. If you have codes, this means your if your CEL is not working. There is a sticky for what the codes are on here. If you are not throwing any codes I believe it's because your getting input from the rear O2 sensors still. Check with Frost, he might be able to answer why no codes. He's our residential expert on tuning issues.

In regards to the heating issue - how high is the temp rising? Warm day? on average our cars run about 190 degrees (with 180 thermostat) When at idle it can go up to 200-210 easy. If it's going higher check the following:

fans, warm car up to 190 - do fans come on? No - check fuses, fuse good, fan may be out.
    coolant sensor - located on drivers side behind power steering pump. Does it look ok, no damage, cracked wires.
    Open radiator - check coolant levels. When is the last time it's been changed? Over 2 yrs or don't know = flush and change it.

I'm afraid to ask what you paid for the "custom" ORY pipe and install. As far as installing headers if you can change your plugs and change your tires you can do a headers install. It seems intimidating but it's not. When you get LT's you will need a tune. As I stated to OP you can drive without it, but I would not take it to the track or take to long in getting a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by razer900 View Post
    are you sure your "check engine light" is functioning? My car the bulb was blown or was pulled out by the previous owner.
    If it was pulled that person is an A-hole....

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    I'm confused as to what the EGR is, and what to do about that as well.
    Sorry I forgot to answer your question about EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

Technical definition - EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. In a gasoline engine, this inert exhaust displaces the amount of combustible matter in the cylinder. This means the heat of combustion is less, and the combustion generates the same pressure against the piston at a lower temperature. In a diesel engine, the exhaust gas replaces some of the excess oxygen in the pre-combustion mixture.

Sounds good in theory but GM stop putting it on our cars in 2000 (Thank God).

Simple answer - smog control, that robs the engine of a few HP.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I began to drive before i let the temperature reach over 210.. i am not concerned considering my family owns a heating a cooling shop lol even tho business isnt good right now, i am sure we can figure out the problem. as for a custom ORY, I paid 650 for the cats back and an electric cutoff with a magnaflow muffler and chrome dual tips, but because they took so long to complete the job they through in the custom y-pipe all the way to the manifold sooo i know i got a good deal, the system is 3in all the way around but its aluminized not stainless. However the tips were sliced by the shop so i have to take them back because they have already began to rust so im paying 40 bucks for stainless chrome dual tips because it was their mistake they are paying for half!! lol

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Can't wait to get rid of this unnecessary exhuast crap woohoo! come on summer! Gotta make some moolah!

Thread Information