Full SLP Exhaust Question... should I do it?

I'd like to do full SLP exhaust including their headers and 'cat-back' on my '99 WS6, anyone advise against this? I'm aware that their clearance isn't that good, but I can't find any pictures about it. I'd like to have SLP because some WS6's came with it and I'd like to remain sorta close to stock. Also, is there a good place to purchase them for the cheapest price? Thanks

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

im pretty sure no ws6s came with the slp headers. IMO i would get a different brand of headers for a)less amount of money and b) better clearance. also ive heard about lots of rasp wth the slp catback with any brand of headers. not to many people are fond of the slp brand at all on here

black
    '02 trans am ws6

SLP and "cheap" go hand in hand, plus their headers are far from a can favorite. I vote Pacestters LTs, TSP ORY, and then get either a dual/dual or Loudmouth catback.

Technically no WS6 got any SLP items, the Firehawks and SS did, and the extent of that was catback, lid, and/or springs/shocks...no car got headers.
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

I would stay away from them for the most part their lids are ok. Exhaust sound is whatever you like but slp's hang really low so if your lowered or ever plan to go lower I would say stay away from them.

But doesn't their newer design make the clearance much better?

I'd prefer to keep everything slp (LT's, cat-back, and intake) to keep everything uniform but it's beginning to sound like I shouldn't do it. I definitely want it to be stainless steel or something close, and would like a low rumble with zero rasp. Any suggestions? I plan to install all of this myself.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

i run bbk lts and ory with slp LM2 cat back, some minor fitment issues with the cat back but everything else fits real nice. I have the same if not better clearance than when i was stock

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you want stainless steel and quality get American Racing Headers (ARH) or Kooks...they are THE BEST.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

buying SLP headers will be a huge mistake.......like 35th said......Kooks or ARH if you're wanting stainless. Hell, I'd do the stainless ebay headers before I did SLP.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Stainless Steel QTP headers worked for me. 6 years and still look good as new.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Stainless Steel QTP headers worked for me. 6 years and still look good as new.
    I installed a set of these for a guy a few years ago. Quality header for sure....I was impressed.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

The only thing I like made by SLP is the loudmouth catback other than that I wouldn't get anything from them. The loudmouth has no rasp if you have HF cats on your y pipe.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

If you don't want rasp.....going to have to go with duals.
    And NOTHING from SLP.

SLP is crap when it comes to parts. Not bad on the conversion side, but their parts side......yuck.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by idle View Post
    I'd like to do full SLP exhaust including their headers and 'cat-back' on my '99 WS6, anyone advise against this? I'm aware that their clearance isn't that good, but I can't find any pictures about it. I'd like to have SLP because some WS6's came with it and I'd like to remain sorta close to stock. Also, is there a good place to purchase them for the cheapest price? Thanks
    Dont do it. Headers hang really low and theres much better out there no a days.
    01 SS A4 3.23-LID-CAI-LTS-ORY-CB-STALL-TUNED-326rwh,335rwt
    60'-1.666, 1/4-11.918@112.83MPH

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

The slp loudmouth is loud with the factory headers. If you do lt's, and delete the cats , and put in an offroad y,(No cats) then the loudmouth is about the rapsiest thing you can get on these cars. I love my rasp. It is like three harleys revving at the same time. Sounds like a nascar shifting into second coming off pit row. Obviously not what you are looking for. With everything you are saying, stay far away form SLP exhaust components. Far, far away. By the way, i got pacesetters, and clearance is a non issue. They actually slid right in without any motor jacking/drilling/grinding/bending issues. And my clearance has improved. Haven't scraped once, and that's saying a lot here in the land of the speed bump. Pacesetter off road y. Doesn't bang on the floor, zero problems. Pacesetters def recommended.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

OP says he wants stainless steel, so Pacesetter's wouldn't be a choice for him.

Yeah man, looks like it's going to have to be Kooks or American Racing... Both are $800ish, any suggestions anyone?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I run Kooks 1-7/8" with their 3" ORY. No fitment issues. Great ground clearance and I'm lowered 1.2" on Strano springs. Either choice you cannot go wrong. Like mentioned, a lot of people have been impressed and happy with the SS E-bay headers, which are much cheaper.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I had Kooks on my T/A.
    Ordering Kooks for my TBSS soon.

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    The slp loudmouth is loud with the factory headers.
    I disagree. I have LM1/LT's/Cats and its really not loud at all until wot.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check out the ebay stainless headers....many many people happy with those and they're a third of the price. You just have to come up with a Y pipe. You could ask around on the site and see what people with the ebay headers have done. It's hard to look past them due to the cost.....they're dirt cheap for stainless headers. I know spaz runs a set but there's a ton of other people that do too.

Thread Information