blue

Fuel pressure test failure, where to start?

Takes several cranks to start the car so I did a fuel pressure test and this is what it does is:

Hooked the guage up without starting and there was no pressure. Turned the key on (without starting) and pressure built up to 59 then something clicks under the hood and the pressure falls immediately to near zero. While the car is running the pressure stays at 59, as soon as the key is turned off the pressure falls to zero. Another thing I noticed was when I unscrewed the gauge I could hear a little pressure escaping from the test port. Where should I start?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not mess with the fuel system. Sounds like it is working fine to me.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree. With the description given, I don't see anything wrong.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You may have some clogged injectors, plugs may need to be changed, How is your air filter, coils working ok. I would poke around and see what you can find. Pressure is fine.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

blue

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was supposed to hold the pressure. The air filter is new and the car runs perfect once it starts so I didn't think it would be the plugs.

red
    2002 z/28

it should hold pressure for a couple of minutes. if it falls to zero immediately then you need to replace the fuel pump module.
    Last edited by 383ls6; 03-24-2013 at 03:22 PM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 383ls6 View Post
    it should hold pressure for a couple of minutes. if it falls to zero immediately then you need to replace the fuel pump module.
    This^^^ You should see it hold pressure for a few minutes at least. Sounds like the pressure regulator has gone bad, so you you either need to disassemble the module and replace it or get a new module. Try this test to confirm, next time you start the car turn the key on and wait a few seconds then turn the key to start it. This will prime the pump first and I bet it will kick over.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Most likely the drop in fuel pressure is a result of the pick up tube having a crack.

Does it do this at certin levels of fullness with the tank? Meaning does it do this when you're half full, 3/4, 1/4? That is another way to check.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Mine will drop pretty fast. I don't know if I'd call it immediate, but definately not a few minutes. Never had an issue.

OP- if you don't start the car, but turn the key on, and let the pressure build and fall, then turn the key off and back on again, does it build pressure again?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Same. If I turn on my ignition without starting the car, it will jump to 58 or 59 psi. After a few seconds, it'll drop into the 40's. Haven't really paid attention to what it does after that.

blue

Turning the key and waiting a few seconds doesn't seem to help it but cycling the key on and off a couple times does seem to help.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator to me.....it could possibly be as simple as the according hose in the tank that supplies the pump being cracked but normally that pressure wouldn't fall that fast I don't believe. I would open it up and inspect that hose first and then look at the regulator if that hose isn't cracked. GM parts direct lists a fuel pressure regulator ($3.20) but I'm not sure I've ever known anyone that's replaced just the regulator so I'm not sure how serviceable that part is. If you do find that it's the hose make sure you use submersible hose and not regular fuel line. You'll want to go to NAPA and ask for SAE 30R10 hose. Another good idea would be to replace your pump while you're in there with a racetronix pump since you'll be right there anyhow.

blue

Thanks to everyone and yes I agree if I'm going to have to go in there I might as well do the whole module.

Thread Information