Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

FTRA installed yesterday

This is a discussion on FTRA installed yesterday within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by M-Ten Yep, you're right. Installuniversity has no clue what they are talking about. They are not getting ...

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Yep, you're right. Installuniversity has no clue what they are talking about.
    They are not getting 15rwhp with just ram air period. Read the article and it says in conjunction with an aftermarket lid which is already giving you 8-10rwhp so you are getting what maybe 5 or 6 hp with the addition of FTRA and that's on paper? Not worth it IMO but hey you believe whatever you want to justify your purchase.

  2. #22
    Member Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Near Philly
    Posts
    338

    White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Those people are not saying that a lid is ram air just that adding ram air doesn't add much hp if you already have a lid and they are right. No way you are gaining 15hp with the FTRA system.

    I'm not saying you're going to gain 15hp with a FTRA but saying you won't gain much because you already have a lid makes NO sense. One has nothing to do with the other.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

    -89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

    ~Tony

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    It has to do with overall HP gains not that one has to do with the other. And sure one has something to do with the other you can't have more air coming into a restrictive lid you need a better flowing lid to realize full gains for ram air. Another thing everyone seems to be missing here is you don't benefit a damn thing until you are moving fairly quick. Even fast toys states that the 15hp gain and i'm sure that's crank hp is not realized until 100mph. How often are you going that fast? How much 1/4mi is left at that speed? It's definitley a mod that will net you a gain but not much where you need it and your money is better spent else where IMO. I just love how people come on here dropping all kind of HP numbers they just grab off websites having no idea what the true REAL WORLD gains are.

  4. #24
    Member Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Near Philly
    Posts
    338

    White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

    I gained almost 2 tenths with mine, to hell with the horsepower on paper, the results are at the track.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I gained almost 2 tenths with mine, to hell with the horsepower on paper, the results are at the track.
    And you tested this on the same day under the exact same track and weather conditions?

  6. #26
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    It has to do with overall HP gains not that one has to do with the other. And sure one has something to do with the other you can't have more air coming into a restrictive lid you need a better flowing lid to realize full gains for ram air. Another thing everyone seems to be missing here is you don't benefit a damn thing until you are moving fairly quick. Even fast toys states that the 15hp gain and i'm sure that's crank hp is not realized until 100mph. How often are you going that fast? How much 1/4mi is left at that speed? It's definitley a mod that will net you a gain but not much where you need it and your money is better spent else where IMO. I just love how people come on here dropping all kind of HP numbers they just grab off websites having no idea what the true REAL WORLD gains are.
    Umm, actually it says in first gear they showed no gain, but in 2nd and 3rd they showed a 0.9 VE increase. Also they gained a tenth in the quarter mile.. Real world enough?

  7. #27
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    They are not getting 15rwhp with just ram air period. Read the article and it says in conjunction with an aftermarket lid which is already giving you 8-10rwhp so you are getting what maybe 5 or 6 hp with the addition of FTRA and that's on paper? Not worth it IMO but hey you believe whatever you want to justify your purchase.
    "5-6 HP" and a tenth in the quarter mile? Not bad for 175$

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    "5-6 HP" and a tenth in the quarter mile? Not bad for 175$
    What on paper and at the crank? I have yet to see a real world test at the track under indentical conditions that shows any gain. Not the worst mod for sure and I'm sure at speeds over 80mph you might gain something but there are better ways to spend your money IMO. If you are happy with your purchase more power to you in the end that is all that matters.

  9. #29
    Member Speed Psychosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    499

    Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

    I don't understand the argument here. People are saying headers are a better deal but he already is getting headers too. Plus, it also would make a difference on what the car is used for. If you drive on road courses then ram air would be a good bang for the buck.

  10. #30
    Member Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Near Philly
    Posts
    338

    White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    And you tested this on the same day under the exact same track and weather conditions?
    Nope, not the same day, temp was different by 3* and the humidity was about the same. 3* isn't going to net 2 tenths.

    Stop being a hater, the product works.

  11. #31
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Nope, not the same day, temp was different by 3* and the humidity was about the same. 3* isn't going to net 2 tenths.

    Stop being a hater, the product works.
    lol

  12. #32
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    For the SECOND time in this thread... One hundreth of a second difference in 60-foot (launch duh!) nets a tenth difference in ET. MPH is the ONLY way to show gain.

    To the guy throwing out quality and fitment for those headers (that I posted), you can leave the internet folklore at the door. Ask the user that posted the picture; she and her BF put them on her car. I looked at them carefully and tuned her car. I would not speak for them if I didn't have first-hand knowledge of them. Just tossing them out as a VERY affordable alternative. Personally, I don't know how they sell so cheap, it would seem that the steel itself should cost that much or more.
    Last edited by Frost; 12-25-2007 at 07:15 PM.

  13. #33
    Member Speed Psychosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    499

    Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    For the SECOND time in this thread... One hundreth of a second difference in 60-foot (launch duh!) nets a tenth difference in ET.
    although i think the argument is pointless, i completely agree with this. you could have just launched better, especially since you have a manual.

    only real way to test small power gains like this is a before and after dyno, same dyno, same day and letting the car cool between runs.

  14. #34
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    It wasn't ME who had these times... the times came from installuniversity.com who reviewed this system to see if it actually worked..

    According to them they had a 0.9 increase in VE which apparently translates into approximately 14.9 HP gain, also they had an improved time in the 1/4 mile too.

    IDK why we're still discussing this..

  15. #35
    Member Speed Psychosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    499

    Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

    ^ i'll change the subject. does the car sound different with it? is it any deeper?

  16. #36
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Umm yeah, I think it did.. it's not VERY noticeable but i could hear a difference under the hood.. not enough to hear when i'm in the car driving though, the exhaust drowns it out.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    Supposedly people see a mpg increase with this too. That's what I'm really interested. Mine's a DD that sees 40 miles highway a day, every little bit helps.

    Can you let us know if you see any mileage improvement?

    Thanks!

  18. #38
    Member SexyAssFormula's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Miami
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Black
    1998 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Finally got it in the mail on wednesday, and installed it last night..

    Took me about 5 hours to get it fully installed and sealed up correctly, and I can't imagine it being possible installing on your own (had my dad help), but it is a very nice system once it's in!

    Noticeable difference too.. I notice a lot more top end power at higher speeds. With just a SLP Lid, SFC's, and the FTRA I'm able to chirp the tires in 3rd gear now.. even more fun

    Overall it's a great system, just some parts were very longgg on installing
    sounds like you need a better set of tires

  19. #39
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    why's that?

  20. #40
    Member SexyAssFormula's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Miami
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Black
    1998 Formula

    cuz your chirping third gear with just With just a SLP Lid, SFC's, and the FTRA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. wtb ftra or ssra
    By c5z28 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
  2. Ftra?!?!?
    By T/A36 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 11:53 AM
  3. SLP FlowPac vs FTRA
    By M-Ten in forum External Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
  4. Wtb: Ftra
    By MagicMan in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 06:17 PM
  5. Ftra Fs
    By SRZ in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •