Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Free Mod ?s

This is a discussion on Free Mod ?s within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i descreened my maf and haven't had ne problems at all. i didn't feel any gains but other then that ...

Black
    2002 Ram Air Trans AM

i descreened my maf and haven't had ne problems at all. i didn't feel any gains but other then that my car runs great!!

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SS/CETA View Post
    Does anyone have the link to the free mods thread? I'm dying to find the damned thing, but I've no such luck with the search function.
    here is a start, its not a thread, but a couple of sites

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ons/index.html

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

I appreciate you finding those links for me, but I have those. Me and 02cetransam were trying to find them, but with no real results.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    well I did the !EGR, TB Bypass, and cut up the air box lid mods one night.

My car is a 99 Z28 with 97k. It feels fine. As to damage, don't know. IMO, you would have to tear down the engine before the mods and after to know if they really hurt. IMO the rest is speculation, and every one has slightly diff driving conditions.

I was in the middle of replacing the water pump and couldn't resist having the car torn apart not to do it.

I can say a TB port and polish is one that I don't know if I would do. Its one thing to screw up a piece of plastic, its another to mess up you TB. I doubt I would ever de-screen my MAF. While I don't agree w/ the "straight" air theory. I don't like the idea of stuff flying into my MAF wires.

Good luck

My brother has spent lots of time in Afganastan. I never heard him refer to it as a vacation...

God bless our troops...
    though i don't know you...your brothers is my prayers man

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    though i don't know you...your brothers is my prayers man
    thanks, all the men and women are, every single one.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SS/CETA View Post
    I appreciate you finding those links for me, but I have those. Me and 02cetransam were trying to find them, but with no real results.
    Hmm... well the only free mods i have heard about are in those two links plus the heater hose. maybe you could throw up a heater hose search. It seems every time i come across a thread about free mods its the same list

air box cutting
    MAF de-screen, if you dare
    TB port polish
    replace the rear spring cup with a piece of heater hose
    cut the EGR tube, or just get a block off plate
    TB bypass, not exactly free but only a couple of bucks
    change air filters, but i saw a test and thread that said AC Delco was the best, i know its not free

that GM link is miss leading, its ten free ponies not ten mods.

the only thing i haven't done is the TB port and heater hose. I like my stock ride height so no heater hose for me. I practiced porting my MAF housing, so I am getting close to trying my hand at the TB.

I am pretty sure that is the whole list of mods on the cheap. Outside of that your talking parts and money. If you can do the research you maybe able to find a 160* thermo stat for under 20 bucks. There is another thread that is discussing getting the temp down in the low 170s or lower, and rumor has it maybe possible to take the stat out of the housing. If it is true you can greatly lower the cost of a thermo stat. I haven't tried it, and unfortunately i tossed my old stat, kicking myself every day.

Thermsotat Questions, MRR23, Orion, Frost???

hope that all helps.

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

the MAF are not needed on f bodys, they are ionly there to correct airflow on 90 degree bend ins air induction(GTO) in fact 03 and up vettes dontr have them because the air induction is straight as in f bodys

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by dfillmore827 View Post
    the MAF are not needed on f bodys, they are ionly there to correct airflow on 90 degree bend ins air induction(GTO) in fact 03 and up vettes dontr have them because the air induction is straight as in f bodys
    true, if you wanted, you could replace them with a MAP sensor.

my question is wtf does the egr mod do?? and how do you do it with out fully deleting your egr.

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

I have the EGR mod TB bypass, ported stock TB, and ripped the screen out of my MAF. I currently have no issues and way better throttle response than ive ever had. The EGR mod is basically trimming a tube. There is a single bolt that secures the tube into the top of the intake if you remve the bolt and lift the tube up you will see that it sticks down into the intake manifold right behind the throttle body and all the incomming air has to move around the tube. Cutting the tube flush just gives the air a more direct less turbulent path.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

oh cool, so a hand saw can cut it off eh? that was a quick 5 minutes, I will have to see if it worked going down the road. Is there a way to have your egr tube out of the engine bay and get a block off plate and not have the egr running through the intake with out removing the egr, or will it throw a code?
    Last edited by Demon_Z28; 04-10-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Blue
    2001 Z28

Yep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information