Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Free Mod ?s

This is a discussion on Free Mod ?s within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; came across the free mods thread a lil while ago and i was wondering how many,(if any), of these mods ...

  1. #1
    Army Dude robcas47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ft. Rucker Area, Lower AL
    Posts
    674

    Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

    Free Mod ?s

    came across the free mods thread a lil while ago and i was wondering how many,(if any), of these mods can be bad for a daily driver or just eventually harmful to the car. i'm saving up for a hypertech tuner and headers+ory. i plan on other mods but would like do get some of these done cause you can't beat free HP. should i wait till i get the car tuned right ? thing is that i'm deploying in about a month for a 15 month Afghan vacation and would like to drive this car to its fullest before i go. the rest of the mods will get done when i get back since i'll have the cash for it then. all i've done for now is a hooker aero chamber muffler and an air temp resistor. i'm sure a lot of you have already done these free mods so i appreciate your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    well I did the !EGR, TB Bypass, and cut up the air box lid mods one night.

    My car is a 99 Z28 with 97k. It feels fine. As to damage, don't know. IMO, you would have to tear down the engine before the mods and after to know if they really hurt. IMO the rest is speculation, and every one has slightly diff driving conditions.

    I was in the middle of replacing the water pump and couldn't resist having the car torn apart not to do it.

    I can say a TB port and polish is one that I don't know if I would do. Its one thing to screw up a piece of plastic, its another to mess up you TB. I doubt I would ever de-screen my MAF. While I don't agree w/ the "straight" air theory. I don't like the idea of stuff flying into my MAF wires.

    Good luck

    My brother has spent lots of time in Afganastan. I never heard him refer to it as a vacation...

    God bless our troops...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    130

    black
    2001 z28

    dont waste your money on the hypertech. youd be better saving the extra to get hp tuners or efi live. do a search on hypertech. the only free mod people seem to have trouble with is the descreening the maf. most say it doesnt do a damn thing.

  4. #4
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    do the heater hose mod

  5. #5
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    BTW- they are all worth it...every lil bit helps and ditto above, no bueno on the hypertech

  6. #6
    Member ApexVIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    307

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    there are a few,
    tb by pass,
    fix the egr that hangs down in the intake mani

    port polish your TB

    but dont de screen the MAF its bad!
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

  7. #7
    Member Sunset T/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Age
    66
    Posts
    285

    Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

    As mentioned above, I am one of those who had trouble with the desceening of the MAF, luckily I went the route of buying some descreened maf ends, in case it did not work, and was able to just re-install my stock ones. My car ran like crap.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ewing, NJ
    Age
    51
    Posts
    161

    2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

    I put on a lid, cut back the EGR tube, cut open the airbox base, put on a ported TB and all those mods increased my airflow dramatically. I was seeing 10-12% fuel being added while cruising so the car is flowing a lot more air and leaning out. I added longtube headers and I'm even leaner now! So I need a tune but I'm not sure if I'm done modding yet. The only thing I can think of that might cause a problem is the EGR tube mod. It looks like the tube is designed to catch any carbon deposits that could build up in the pipe and break loose. By cutting the tube, those deposits will go directly into the manifold instead of being caught in the bottom of the tube.
    2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, #'s matching - being restored

  9. #9
    Member craz1469's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Near Houston
    Age
    31
    Posts
    111

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Like said above HPP3 is a no go-----its shit. Spend the money on a real tune or better yet Hptuners or LS1edit. You will have to do a lot of reading and ask a lot of question but it will be so much better in the end. I descreened the MAF long ago and had no problems. But then again I felt no gains, so its up to you.

  10. #10
    Army Dude robcas47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ft. Rucker Area, Lower AL
    Posts
    674

    Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

    hey thanks everyone, i've left the screen on and didn't mess with the egr. will wait on port/polish of tb for now. did the free ram air and ported the maf for now. cant wait to get LT and ORY. the tune will also have to wait till after the exhuast is done.

  11. #11
    Junior Member ilikeppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Age
    30
    Posts
    18

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    I took the screen out of my MAF and lost power bad my WS6 lost to a regular TA and a regular Camaro afterwards bad idea oh and the Hypertech is a bad idea worst money i ever spent on a mod

  12. #12
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Exclamation ??

    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    do the heater hose mod

    What is this??

  13. #13
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    came across the free mods thread a lil while ago and i was wondering how many,(if any), of these mods can be bad for a daily driver or just eventually harmful to the car.
    none are harmful...


    Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    i'm saving up for a hypertech tuner and headers+ory. i plan on other mods but would like do get some of these done cause you can't beat free HP. should i wait till i get the car tuned right ? thing is that i'm deploying in about a month for a 15 month Afghan vacation and would like to drive this car to its fullest before i go. the rest of the mods will get done when i get back since i'll have the cash for it then. all i've done for now is a hooker aero chamber muffler and an air temp resistor.
    forget about a hyper tech... get a good dyno tune...about $300 - $350 for one... wait untill you do the mods to do it...

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    24

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Are you guys claiming descreening the MAF is bad due to A/F issues, or are you saying it's bad for the MAF/car itself due to the possibility of stuff getting in there?

    I descreened mine and haven't had a problem

  15. #15
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    i think one claim is it will allow stuff into the passage and hurt the wires. Personally any junk big enough to get through the screen sounds like a air filter issue. The screen holes are not microscopic, but they are plenty big compared to an air filter, even compared to a K&N.

    I think the other claim is it promotes "straight" air flow. Personally I would say get it up on a bench that would allow you turn run "dye" in an air steam and see what happens. I'm not really buying that "straight" air theory. Maybe someone with a PhD in fluid dynamics would elaborate. I say de-screen would promote "better" flow in the center of the stream and still give you expected turbulance on the sides. But what do I know, I'm only a software KB monkey.

    Can any one recall any make and model that uses a MAF without a screen by design? Like a Mustang, heard rumors the Vette doesn't, any thing? I think if you can find at least one successful car that has a MAF setup like ours that runs without a screen. It begs to say you shouldn't fear large objects killing the wires.

  16. #16
    Member craz1469's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Near Houston
    Age
    31
    Posts
    111

    Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikeppie View Post
    I took the screen out of my MAF and lost power bad my WS6 lost to a regular TA and a regular Camaro afterwards bad idea oh and the Hypertech is a bad idea worst money i ever spent on a mod
    I hope your being sarcastic.

  17. #17
    Junior Member ilikeppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Age
    30
    Posts
    18

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    it happened i swear their cars were a few years newer maybe i just needed to tune it up or something

  18. #18
    ...going to the darkside gspfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    i think one claim is it will allow stuff into the passage and hurt the wires. Personally any junk big enough to get through the screen sounds like a air filter issue. The screen holes are not microscopic, but they are plenty big compared to an air filter, even compared to a K&N.

    I think the other claim is it promotes "straight" air flow. Personally I would say get it up on a bench that would allow you turn run "dye" in an air steam and see what happens. I'm not really buying that "straight" air theory. Maybe someone with a PhD in fluid dynamics would elaborate. I say de-screen would promote "better" flow in the center of the stream and still give you expected turbulance on the sides. But what do I know, I'm only a software KB monkey.

    Can any one recall any make and model that uses a MAF without a screen by design? Like a Mustang, heard rumors the Vette doesn't, any thing? I think if you can find at least one successful car that has a MAF setup like ours that runs without a screen. It begs to say you shouldn't fear large objects killing the wires.
    Ford, at least the 5.0 and older 4.6, did not use screens in their MAF's. I don't know why it's part of the LS1 MAF to begin with.... Like you mentioned, if it's big enough for that screen to catch it, your air filter sucks or you have a leak in your intake system somewhere.

  19. #19
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post
    Ford, at least the 5.0 and older 4.6, did not use screens in their MAF's. I don't know why it's part of the LS1 MAF to begin with.... Like you mentioned, if it's big enough for that screen to catch it, your air filter sucks or you have a leak in your intake system somewhere.
    i have heard others say they have found grass stuck to it. Well, so have I. Not big blades like you rip off the front lawn, but big enough to question my air filter and intake.

    I do wonder what people think about all the non MAF setups that have no screen to protect the engine? Think about every car you have owned and ask yourself what kind of junk got sucked into the engine, scary. Of course most of my cars were always old beaters, so who cares.

    Well I used my MAF housing as a test for my skills at porting an polishing. I tried every thing I could not to descreen it, but no such luck. The first time i nicked it with the cutting wheel it was all over.

    so now i cross my fingers and watch ebay in case i need a replacement.

  20. #20
    R/A T/A SS/CETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arkansas/Missouri State Line
    Age
    33
    Posts
    332

    Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

    Does anyone have the link to the free mods thread? I'm dying to find the damned thing, but I've no such luck with the search function.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Free pizza......now free ??????
    By fxgs in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 09:37 AM
  2. Free! That right. Free!sweetthunder 18 chambered pipe.
    By REDBEAST in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •