Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fram Oil Filter?

This is a discussion on Fram Oil Filter? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; In the ensuing years things have changed. Delco changed to a cheap paper filter and FRAM came out with the ...

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 TA

In the ensuing years things have changed. Delco changed to a cheap paper filter and FRAM came out with the EXTRA Guard line of synthetic filters. Now the Delco is garbage, and the FRAM is actually one of the best rated filters on the market today - but only the EXTRA Guard line. The EXTRA Guard line has no paper components - all plastic and rated for longer periods. I change mine at 5k miles with full synthetic oil. The PN for the standard length filter is 3506.

I use Redline when I can get it and Royal Purple when I can't. Both seem to be first rate.

Last edited by Senator; 05-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mansfield, PA

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have no problem installing the high end Fram Ultra oil filters on any of our cars these days. I shy away from the base filter and the Extra Guard though.

Blossburg, PA

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I put Mobil 1 5w30 in my car, not knowing what it may have had in its past. The oil filter I initially took off had no name at all on it, but it was yellow. That scares me enough. I match my mobil 1 with the mobil 1 m1-107 filter. I usually go with Amsoil oil and a Pure 1 filter on vehicles i'm unsure of. Except Ford, I stick to Motorcraft oil & filter. But I needed a quick oil change and was at Walmart, and beings GM recommended it in the LS1 vettes, why wouldn't I.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

2002 SS LE

I have no issues using any type of FRAM filter (air, oil, fuel) on a car that doesn't get raced, or a heavy duty truck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information