View Poll Results: Flowmaster restricts more than stock muffler?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    32 28.32%
  • No

    81 71.68%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 141 to 160 of 160

Flowmaster Restricts more than stock?

This is a discussion on Flowmaster Restricts more than stock? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i have a 3'' catback flowmaster setup on my 87 ls1 and it still pulls the front tires , a ...

  1. #141
    Junior Member crashandburn_01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    15

    blue/silver
    87 camaro ls1

    i have a 3'' catback flowmaster setup on my 87 ls1 and it still pulls the front tires , a flowmaster exhaust wont do much for stock but once you start bumping up the power thats when they really shine

  2. #142
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    I think what needs to happen is a real comparison test. I would do it but I have an LT1, and I know the LS1 is the more popular car right so it would make more sense to do it on an LS1 car. It would be nice if 3 mufflers could be tested; a Flowmaster 2 or 3-chamber, a Magna-Flow and maybe a Hooker Aero-Chamber, all in the same day on the same dyno, to see if the Flowmaster muffs really are restrictive or if it's just an illusion we are having.

  3. #143
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I think what needs to happen is a real comparison test. I would do it but I have an LT1, and I know the LS1 is the more popular car right so it would make more sense to do it on an LS1 car. It would be nice if 3 mufflers could be tested; a Flowmaster 2 or 3-chamber, a Magna-Flow and maybe a Hooker Aero-Chamber, all in the same day on the same dyno, to see if the Flowmaster muffs really are restrictive or if it's just an illusion we are having.

    I have Flowmaster 1 chambers and I'd be willing to meet somewhere reasonable to do this comparison.....Put it to bed once and for all lol

    Well, kind of...each motor/car is different, so #'s would vary a little bit. You'd have to do it all on 1 car for best results, but this way would be much easier and cost effecient.
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 07-28-2008 at 07:17 PM.

  4. #144
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I have Flowmaster 1 chambers and I'd be willing to meet somewhere reasonable to do this comparison.....Put it to bed once and for all lol

    Well, kind of...each motor/car is different, so #'s would vary a little bit. You'd have to do it all on 1 car for best results, but this way would be much easier and cost effecient.
    If I wasn't too far i'd do it, seriously. The speculation has gone on for a while and I wan't facts now.

  5. #145
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    If I wasn't too far i'd do it, seriously. The speculation has gone on for a while and I wan't facts now.
    What's halfway between Cali and PA haha!!! Maybe each regional section can try this and take all of the results into consideration. The test would definately yield more accurate results with a larger base group.

  6. #146
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    What's halfway between Cali and PA haha!!! Maybe each regional section can try this and take all of the results into consideration. The test would definately yield more accurate results with a larger base group.
    Sounds good to me. Your right, multiple tests would make the results more valid.

  7. #147
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Sounds good to me. Your right, multiple tests would make the results more valid.
    Been there, done that. Post #31
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-29-2008 at 06:15 AM.

  8. #148
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Been there, done that. Post #31
    I'm baffled, where are the numbers?

  9. #149
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I didn't bother to post them. I can't simply attatch pictures like I used to do here, that feature is long gone. And I'm not going to join another site just to link pics on this site. Seems like double duty for little gain.

    Guess I could sit here and type out all the dyno numbers, ET and MPH from countless dragstrip passes etc....but I figure whats the point,,,this is just the internet afterall....so I simply summed it up to save others the time, money and aggrivation. Post #31 summed it up in a nutshell without going into all the little details. That entire process took the better part of 3 months of testing to make that all come together.

    Started out just looking for ways to make the car go faster, and then we got this stupid idea and it took off from there.

  10. #150
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Been there, done that. Post #31
    So you're the only one allowed to do some research? I'd like to see differences in dual systems as well, that would REALLY put the argument to bed!

  11. #151
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    So you're the only one allowed to do some research? I'd like to see differences in dual systems as well, that would REALLY put the argument to bed!
    LOL,,,I think you have me wrong. If you want to spend the time and money be my guest.

    Now comparing single systems to dual systems is comparing apples to oranges. I kept our tests as consistent as possible and never strayed from the single catbacks.

    Thats not to say I wouldn't have minded testing a dual system,,,but thats an entirely different ballgame....

    Actually the Bassani looked nice,,,but we couldn't find one to borrow and quite frankly they are a little pricey to just purchase for a test.
    I would have loved to see how that compared to the 4 inch mufflex,,,,that single catback system blew the others single systems away.

  12. #152
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    LOL,,,I think you have me wrong. If you want to spend the time and money be my guest.

    Now comparing single systems to dual systems is comparing apples to oranges. I kept our tests as consistent as possible and never strayed from the single catbacks.

    Thats not to say I wouldn't have minded testing a dual system,,,but thats an entirely different ballgame....

    Actually the Bassani looked nice,,,but we couldn't find one to borrow and quite frankly they are a little pricey to just purchase for a test.
    I would have loved to see how that compared to the 4 inch mufflex,,,,that single catback system blew the others single systems away.
    I really think that even testing td's will just end in hp/tq #'s varying only a few hp anyway, but it would just be cool to do it. And HELL NO I'm not gonna waste my money on it haha!

  13. #153
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I really think that even testing td's will just end in hp/tq #'s varying only a few hp anyway, but it would just be cool to do it. And HELL NO I'm not gonna waste my money on it haha!
    Ya I think there are companies now making short dual systems that stop at the rearend, but that would again be different from a dual system that reaches the back bumper,,,,,,,then you have things like X or H crossovers, pipe diameters etc....you can really beat yourself up over little things.

    Then if you fabbed your own shorty dual system with turndowns at the rear,,,it would probably be with crush bends, since most shops don't have a $30,000 mandrel,,,,so this again changes things....

    We stayed with exhaust kits simply because they are all mandrel and they are considered simple bolt ons that people go for...

    If it makes you feel better, I have done alot of dual system testing on my chevelle over the last 25 years in the quest for quicker ET's, and I ended up going back to flowmaster super 40's on that car,,,they performed just as well as the 10 other brands of mufflers I had on this car.
    I found the best combo for this car was 3 1/2 pipe off the collectors into a custom Dr. Gas X pipe that switches to 3 inch on the other end,,,then 3 inch into the super 40's and a pair of Torque Tech tailpipes,,,,all mandrell bent.

    It really came down to the pipe design and overall system that gave me best results on this car.

  14. #154
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I didn't bother to post them. I can't simply attatch pictures like I used to do here, that feature is long gone. And I'm not going to join another site just to link pics on this site. Seems like double duty for little gain.

    Guess I could sit here and type out all the dyno numbers, ET and MPH from countless dragstrip passes etc....but I figure whats the point,,,this is just the internet afterall....so I simply summed it up to save others the time, money and aggrivation. Post #31 summed it up in a nutshell without going into all the little details. That entire process took the better part of 3 months of testing to make that all come together.

    Started out just looking for ways to make the car go faster, and then we got this stupid idea and it took off from there.
    I believe you 100%. I was just interested in the exact numbers. You guys should of did a write up on it and made a homepage with the information. That would of shut up a lot of hype about this topic as it is all over the internet! Now I have another question, I wonder if true-duals really increases power or is just for snits and giggles<?

  15. #155
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I believe you 100%. I was just interested in the exact numbers. You guys should of did a write up on it and made a homepage with the information. That would of shut up a lot of hype about this topic as it is all over the internet! Now I have another question, I wonder if true-duals really increases power or is just for snits and giggles<?
    All that gas has to merge, and I'm sure there is shitloads of turbulance where the y comes together. I bet a nice collector in there (like QTP's) would help it flow moer evenly...I can't really tell too much of a power difference with mine because they were done along with the Lt's..

  16. #156
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    All that gas has to merge, and I'm sure there is shitloads of turbulance where the y comes together. I bet a nice collector in there (like QTP's) would help it flow moer evenly...I can't really tell too much of a power difference with mine because they were done along with the Lt's..
    Well I would think theoretically it would produce more power over the factory single exhaust, but it would be nice to see how much.

  17. #157
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I believe you 100%. I was just interested in the exact numbers. You guys should of did a write up on it and made a homepage with the information. That would of shut up a lot of hype about this topic as it is all over the internet! Now I have another question, I wonder if true-duals really increases power or is just for snits and giggles<?
    Thats a great idea, maybe a spread sheet of sorts. I'm not a computer person per say, but I could probably find a way. We still have all the sheets and timeslips along with what was tried.

    Funny though, we never did this for a flowmaster test,,,,I never knew so much hype over a muffler on the internet was a big deal. We simply did this for ourselves with no particular muffler in mind...

    As far as a real dual system goes,,,,I'm willing to bet that if it's designed right, with a good X-pipe, the right pipe size etc....it would be hard to beat.
    These 4th gens are so limited with floor space you have to be willing to sacrafice alot of ground clearance to run something worth having, I'm just not willing to do that on my 4th gens.
    Thats why the Bassani system was appealing to us. Nice fit and finish, but it limits itself to a transverse muffler much like the older true dual systems of the 1st and 2nd gen F-bodies,,,for obvious reasons,,simply because thats what the car was designed to accept. Would be even a different comparison yet if you used a dual muffler setup,,,sheeeesh the combinations are endless.

    I've had several dual systems on my chevelle over the years, with different pipe sizes, H-pipes and X pipes, several mufflers as well. Of course this is a dual muffler application. I have an exhaust setup now that works so well that opening the headers only yields very slight gains on a 600+ HP combo.
    Guess I could fab a single system for the car,,,but I would guarantee the car would slow down,,,besides I don't think I could bring myself to do such a thing to this car

  18. #158
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    bryan texas
    Posts
    1

    blue
    2000trans am

    A cutout eliminates all these issues!!!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #159
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thats a great idea, maybe a spread sheet of sorts. I'm not a computer person per say, but I could probably find a way. We still have all the sheets and timeslips along with what was tried.

    Funny though, we never did this for a flowmaster test,,,,I never knew so much hype over a muffler on the internet was a big deal. We simply did this for ourselves with no particular muffler in mind...

    As far as a real dual system goes,,,,I'm willing to bet that if it's designed right, with a good X-pipe, the right pipe size etc....it would be hard to beat.
    These 4th gens are so limited with floor space you have to be willing to sacrafice alot of ground clearance to run something worth having, I'm just not willing to do that on my 4th gens.
    Thats why the Bassani system was appealing to us. Nice fit and finish, but it limits itself to a transverse muffler much like the older true dual systems of the 1st and 2nd gen F-bodies,,,for obvious reasons,,simply because thats what the car was designed to accept. Would be even a different comparison yet if you used a dual muffler setup,,,sheeeesh the combinations are endless.

    I've had several dual systems on my chevelle over the years, with different pipe sizes, H-pipes and X pipes, several mufflers as well. Of course this is a dual muffler application. I have an exhaust setup now that works so well that opening the headers only yields very slight gains on a 600+ HP combo.
    Guess I could fab a single system for the car,,,but I would guarantee the car would slow down,,,besides I don't think I could bring myself to do such a thing to this car
    I agree. I couldn't see any reason why a true-dual exhaust wouldn't make more power than a single.

  20. #160
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by omspray View Post
    A cutout eliminates all these issues!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eh, I have cutouts on 4 of my cars,,,dual cutouts to be exact. If the entire exhaust system is built well the cutouts won't do much for ya.

    My chevelle is a perfect example of this. Can't really drive around all the time with those open anyway without fear of the man. I can't anyway. They are more for making some extra noise when the oportunity presents itself in my case.

    Just to add something interesting on this particular car. I can cruise along with the wideband hooked up,,,,watching the AFR while running through the full exhaust,,,,then flip the switch for the dual 3 1/2 inch cutouts and the AFR only changes 1/10th which I found interesting,,,,the full exhaust system is doing a good job on a rather large cube motor.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-30-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Complete Stock exhaust, Cats, Flowmaster
    By LukesSpeedShop in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
  2. Stock T/A tips with Flowmaster muffler
    By patriot1136 in forum Texas Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
  3. When LS6 restricts hp???
    By CandyRedZ28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
  4. Flowmaster w/ stock tips for sale
    By LS1Formula01 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 01:15 PM
  5. Flowmaster muffler with stock tips $50 fits 93+
    By baesvt in forum Western Members
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •