Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Flowmaster 80 Series question

This is a discussion on Flowmaster 80 Series question within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The reason they dont "Flow" that well is the fact there are so many baffles, Thats where the sound comes ...

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

The reason they dont "Flow" that well is the fact there are so many baffles, Thats where the sound comes from. They do flow better than stock but not by much.
    If your just looking for tone or sound then go for it, bolt it on and see if ya like it. I went through several catbacks befor i found the sound i wanted. It was just a 3" cutout.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

They are noticably louder then my magnaflows i had back on my 93Z came with the car, if your gonna put on a muffler might as well put on something good. I was gonna give mine to a friend for free but then i felt bad and just told the exhuast shop im gonna dump it in there trash. Very raspy, resonate bad and too loud especially when it doesnt flow as well as magnaflow or some of the other mufflers out there. You will have some people that just love flowmasters and say they feel a noticable difference i can honestly tell you even when i put on a magnaflow which flows really well i hardly felt anything as far as power the gains arent that noticable to feel a big difference atleast to me.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 02-16-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I put one on my car the second day I owned it. My first thing done to the car. It made it sound good but i didn't notice any gain but I just wanted the sound so i think it was worth it.
    Like you, I was more interested in sound rather than gaining performance from it.

If you already have it then I'd stick it on and see if you like the sound.

I wouldn't worry about performance so much. About 4 years back we used several catbacks on one car to see what they were worth.
    Bottom line is once you start using the 3 inch single catback systems they all performed nearly identical. Just go with a sound you like.

It's only when you step up to a 4 inch single system where a difference in power will be found.
    Or a real dual system (something we didn't try on this car)

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    They are noticably louder then my magnaflows i had back on my 93Z came with the car, if your gonna put on a muffler might as well put on something good. I was gonna give mine to a friend for free but then i felt bad and just told the exhuast shop im gonna dump it in there trash. Very raspy, resonate bad and too loud especially when it doesnt flow as well as magnaflow or some of the other mufflers out there. You will have some people that just love flowmasters and say they feel a noticable difference i can honestly tell you even when i put on a magnaflow which flows really well i hardly felt anything as far as power the gains arent that noticable to feel a big difference atleast to me.
    Before my camaro(I have now) I had a magnaflow welded into place on my 99 t/a. A few months later I bought my wife a 99 z28 with a flowmaster welded in place of her stock muffler her car sounded better than mine and was louder imo. Put a cut on it if you like the way the flowmaster sounds and don't worry how it flows, with your cut out open it will flow better than any catback.

white
    2002 z28 convertable

It is true to each there own. I personaly LOVE the way a flowmaster sounds. The first time i heard them i fell in love with that hollow tone! I had a 65 malibu with a mild small block and always got compliments on how it sounded. First thing i did to my camaro too!

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I like the flowmaster rumble as well

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Flowmaster + cutout =sex

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by WICKED LS1 View Post
    I've always loved the sound of a pair of two chambers on an old school 5.0. Up until today I still smile when I hear one go by.
    Flowmasters 2chambers were made for the 5.0. As much as I like my Trans Am more than my Mustang, I have bnever found an exhaust I like as much as Flowmasters on a 5.0 with headers and no cats.

That being said I had a flowmaster on my car and it sounded great. Then came the long tubes and ory. After that I couldn't even stand driving my car it was so dam raspy. I wanted a deeper less raspy tone. Them came my power Flo exhaust. I like it and it's adjustable. All I have to do is swap the LM2 for a LM1 or straight pipe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information