Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Mods

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

First Mods

I'm new to ls1.com and just bought a 01 ss. My plans are to first buy a lid, filter, cai, and possibly the slp bellows and maf sensor. It already has catback and I plan to use it as a daily driver. I am also considering the predator tuner by slp wasnt sure if it was worth the money and a pro 5.0 shifter with lou's short shifter. Just wanted to get some feedback on which mods are worth the money and which brands I should go with

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

First off, stay away from SLP. Second, you can go with a lid and filter OR cold air intake. I'd probably go with the Volant, but thats just me. Get the smooth bellow off Ebay. Its like $30. Or, you can get the set of stainless headers for around $175 and it will come with them. As far as shifters, I've heard nothing but praises on the MGW shifter. Its not on there website, but e-mail them and they'll have it. Its the best of the best when it comes to Stangs and Vettes. I'd say some longtubes would be a good upgrade, possible the Ebay stainless ones like I mentioned above. Don't get the Predator. A REAL tune is worth the money after you do full bolt ons. Don't change the MAF. Just port it and descreen it. Also, a ported throttle body is a good upgrade as well...

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    First off, stay away from SLP. Second, you can go with a lid and filter OR cold air intake. I'd probably go with the Volant, but thats just me. Get the smooth bellow off Ebay. Its like $30. Or, you can get the set of stainless headers for around $175 and it will come with them. As far as shifters, I've heard nothing but praises on the MGW shifter. Its not on there website, but e-mail them and they'll have it. Its the best of the best when it comes to Stangs and Vettes. I'd say some longtubes would be a good upgrade, possible the Ebay stainless ones like I mentioned above. Don't get the Predator. A REAL tune is worth the money after you do full bolt ons. Don't change the MAF. Just port it and descreen it. Also, a ported throttle body is a good upgrade as well...
    what brand of headers would you recommend? I hear pacesetter and kooks are good, pacesetters are a lot cheaper but I hear you lose more ground clearance?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Nah, no ground clearance problems with Pacesetter. I'd go Kooks or ARH if you can swing em, but the cheap Ebay stainless are ridiculously cheap for the quality. I'd get the Ebays over Pacesetters. Y-pipe is the only thing to deal with as far as the Ebay headers go, but I think theres one that will fit them no problem.

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

since this is my daily driver, will any of the mods to the maf affect my fuel economy or simply flow more air?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Exhaust will free up restriction. Which relates to MPG, but now your go pedal got the loud mod and you will probably lose MPG.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 10-26-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Exhaust will flow up restriction. Which relates to MPG, but now your go pedal got the loud mod and you will probably lose MPG.
    I know headers won't have any adverse affects on my mpg but i was asking about the maf sensor being descreened and ported...sorry for not being clear..and it would probably help if i let off the go pedal a little more too

I wouldn't descreen the MAF unless you don't drive it on the street

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    Why? Its a pretty common modification.

But no, it won't adversely affect your MPG. If anything, help it, but you probably wouldn't notice it...

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    I have to pass emissions testing in NC also so I dont know what kind of affect it would have on that either

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

None

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I don't know how many times this has to be covered on this site... Descreening the maf does NOTHING there is 0 proof or recorded data showing gains from descreening a maf one thing that has been proven is that there has been MANY people reporting events of them finding foreign material in their maf screen... I've personally found peices of my stock intake lid in my maf screen from being sucked in from too much restriction... the stock maf is good for 500rwhp screened or not... don't bother upgrading unless your surpasing that power level or going to full 90mm intake...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I would recommend Pacesetter's to just about anyone... the cheap ebay ones are deffinately good for the price but if you don't mind spending the extra cash get the Pacesetters...

just as Pacesetters are basically as good as Kooks but a sensible alternative so are the ebay ones to Pacesetters... depends on what you're willing to spend.

Edit: and the most important mod you can do is SFC BMR is a good brand for just about ANY suspension part...

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I planned on adding BMR SFC and STB also

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    I would recommend Pacesetter's to just about anyone... the cheap ebay ones are deffinately good for the price but if you don't mind spending the extra cash get the Pacesetters...

just as Pacesetters are basically as good as Kooks but a sensible alternative so are the ebay ones to Pacesetters... depends on what you're willing to spend.

Edit: and the most important mod you can do is SFC BMR is a good brand for just about ANY suspension part...
    Main reason I like the Ebay headers is there stainless. I've seen even the coated Pacesetters start to rust within months...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Main reason I like the Ebay headers is there stainless. I've seen even the coated Pacesetters start to rust within months...
    I've been lucky sofar, had my pacesetter lts for a year now (cheap uncoated) and no rust yet. I live here in PA and we get some bad weather. where most people fo wrong, the factory black paint on standard headers is made to stop corrosion during shipping and storage but starts to burn off after they get hot.
    run them for awhile, take them back off and spray them with a good coat of hightemp paint and have years of service.....i have a GTO so I don't have the option of cheaper stainless headers

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 01NBMSS View Post
    I have to pass emissions testing in NC also so I dont know what kind of affect it would have on that either
    Most of those bolt-ons do not affect emissions testing. Long tube headers can pass if you get a catted Y pipe. You have to remove the stock cats to put on LT headers, and you will also need a tune to get rid of faulty cat codes in your computer. In NC SES light=failed inspection.

Navy Blue Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    Most of those bolt-ons do not affect emissions testing. Long tube headers can pass if you get a catted Y pipe. You have to remove the stock cats to put on LT headers, and you will also need a tune to get rid of faulty cat codes in your computer. In NC SES light=failed inspection.
    yeah unfortunately im too familiar with inspections and stuff I got a 96 chevy silverado with all the bolt ons and it passes fine but i had never descreened a MAF sensor and didnt know what affects it had but it seems like i can probably leave it alone without much restriction

OMGls1jz
    does porting the stock TB really help that much? if so i will port my stock TB

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by OMGls1jz View Post
    does porting the stock TB really help that much? if so i will port my stock TB
    I'm not going to say I noticed a difference, but for an extra horse or two I feel it was worth the work

Thread Information