Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

A few questions...heads/cam/headers

ok guys, a friend of mine screwed up his heads and he has to replace them. He has a 99' Camaro SS M6 and he has stock exhaust except a catback (magnaflow). He says he is looking to spend 2-2.5k for the parts.

1. What cam should he purchase for his Daily Driven SS?

2. What heads will complement that cam?

3. Is it ok if he runs the stock exhaust manifolds for a while?(needs to save up for headers)

It'll be cool if you guys could suggest a reliable place to get the parts. Thanks in advance.

molecularmann
    Last edited by molecularmann; 09-07-2010 at 02:13 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If he has to save up for a part he should wait-or do Headers and exhaust first then do the heads and cam.
    Drivability opinions varies from person to person. Some will say they drive ther ms4 cam daily with 4.10's. But a safe cam would be tsp's 228 cam with there 5.3's or 243 heads. Unfortunately the best way to decide what he wants is to read what others have done and pick what he likes because there are hundreds of viable options.
    As for headers here is a list of what is available to him
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126089

The intake needs to be upgraded as well. An ls-6 at minimum and if he wants to save up some more he should look at the fast 90,92,102etc.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

He needs heads now, his car is broken ATM. I know the stock manifold would restrict it, could it be done tho? Would it run with the heads/cam stock intake and stock exhaust manifolds?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I suppose it could. I know people who have ran w/o tunes with a cam. If it runs at all he would be lucky to drive it w/o it dieing.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

"dieing" meaning stalling bc it's not tuned? I'm assuming it'll do damage bc it'll be lean and rich all over the place?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I rode with someone who had there cammed car only go through a basic tune and it would still periodically die in parking lots. Not saying it can't be done but for the sake of the motor I would tell him to suck it up and buy some stock heads for the mean time. I see them all the time for 100-150.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

he told me he now has 4k to spend so im telling him to get the following:
    Pacesetters without egr and air
    LS6 intake manifold with coolant pipe kit and plugs
    TSP 228r cam... not sure about the prc springs or the $50 upgrade ones, the lsa size or the pushrod length?
    Heads...idk I was looking on TSP's website and there is so many options idk what to even start to look at. if you could go into the heads/ cam packages section of their website and tell me exactly what he should get that be great. with all the details.

Plus a $300 tune to get rid of his egr, air, and rear o2 sensors and to help him pass emissions with the SES light off.
    Last edited by molecularmann; 09-07-2010 at 08:46 PM.

NBM Z28

Quote Originally Posted by molecularmann View Post
    he told me he now has 4k to spend so im telling him to get the following:
    Pacesetters without egr and air
    LS6 intake manifold with coolant pipe kit and plugs
    TSP 228r cam... not sure about the prc springs or the $50 upgrade ones, the lsa size or the pushrod length?
    Heads...idk I was looking on TSP's website and there is so many options idk what to even start to look at. if you could go into the heads/ cam packages section of their website and tell me exactly what he should get that be great. with all the details.

Plus a $300 tune to get rid of his egr, air, and rear o2 sensors and to help him pass emissions with the SES light off.

4k is alot of money to dump mods. If i were you or your buddy i would get all bolts on like longtube headers, ory, pulley.. then i would use the rest of the money on a built tranny if hes an auto or built rear end if he is a M6. but i honestly would spend the 4k on both a tranny and rearend. that way it takes all the abuse.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post
    4k is alot of money to dump mods. If i were you or your buddy i would get all bolts on like longtube headers, ory, pulley.. then i would use the rest of the money on a built tranny if hes an auto or built rear end if he is a M6. but i honestly would spend the 4k on both a tranny and rearend. that way it takes all the abuse.
    His head are done for, he needs to get new ones. So heads are a must, he DD this car.

red
    99 camaro

ls6 heads, frost tune, 224 or 228 cam, hoker or pacesetter headers, tsp oryp, and maybe an ls6 intake, should be 400rwhp, call it a day. Your welcome.

Thread Information