Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fed up with Loudmouth 2 drone/rasp !!

This is a discussion on Fed up with Loudmouth 2 drone/rasp !! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos I am more tearing into SLP's design than an actual tuned length header. Ya I ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I am more tearing into SLP's design than an actual tuned length header.
    Ya I know I'm just not sure you could do tuned length on a 4th gen any better given the restrictions and the confines you have to work with. Those K-members are pretty bulky, even standard headers come close. So you end up making up the distance under the car, which unfortunately doesn't work out that well on a low slung 4th gen.

I would think with a tubular K-member giving more room, you might be able to design a better tuned length header that could stay up in the engine compartment a little more rather than under the car.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

One of the reason I went with my Hookers is they were advertised as a tuned length, ceramic coated header. I know for my app a tuned length is not really gonna gain me very much over a non-tuned length header, but they also fit nice and high.

I just checked with a Sprite can, and that can fits under the drivers side header with an eigth inch to spare, and the 3" ORY won't clear that can, but it only misses by 3/8". Maybe I need to lower my car LOL, it's never scraped the exhaust. I'm not too happy about the 4WD look it has sometimes.

When I first joined this forum almost 4 years ago, I was looking at an SLP catalog, I asked people here about the headers because I wanted the easy gains SLP was advertising. I'm so very glad I did a little research before I bought those headers, and y'all steered me in the right direction.

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

I'm gonna jump in here with a suggestion. How about a Pypes M80 muffler? It's round, stainless, and not too expensive

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

OP, I have a magnaflow resonator that I bought to replace the SLP one but I sold my WS6. I still have it and it is brand new in the box. Let me know if you are interested.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

JHayes...,

many thanks for the offer but i have been lucky enough to find the part i was after here in the UK ! It is magnaflow #14419 and i will get it delivered tomorrow!!

But thanks again.

To all that may be curious i will let you know what my set up sounds like with it fitted and the damn LM2 hurled over the nearest fence!!

Trev )

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I've got an entire exhaust setup for sale...Pacesetter Long Tubes, Pacesetter Off-Road Y-Pipe, Hooker Aeroflow Catback. It sounded great all around and idled real nice. I had an electric cutout installed and it was nice to have open for the track and closed for cruising.
    This is the EXACT set up i have on my car. Idle is nice, not too loud or quiet. It can get loud once u get past 3k but when ur bellow 2k its nice and mellow. Cruising it is not loud at all, if u keep it in 1500 rpms or somewhere around there u cant even hear it with the AC on and the radio up. Good set up IMO

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    JHayes...,

many thanks for the offer but i have been lucky enough to find the part i was after here in the UK ! It is magnaflow #14419 and i will get it delivered tomorrow!!

But thanks again.

To all that may be curious i will let you know what my set up sounds like with it fitted and the damn LM2 hurled over the nearest fence!!

Trev )
    Good work man!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Hooker aerochamber is one of the more quieter catbacks, it also is one of the best flowing. It does wake up on the top end like most other catbacks. I also happen to have one if you are interested

Impounded
    if you run an SLP LM or LMII cat back, you have to run a catted Y-pipe.
    anything else and youll sound like a dump truck...
    if you want mellow...look at magnaflow.
    if you want to replace headers...ceramic coated pacesetters are a reasonable price.
    IMO Pacesetter, Catted Y and the LM II sounds good...
    ARH, Catted Y and the LM II sounds even better

bottom line...SLP headers arent the best choice...
    my vote....if you go with a magnaflow catback...get an ORY
    ls1caminos exhaust would be a better investment..
    just my twocents
    (that is if you plan on changing your setup in the future)

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    if you run an SLP LM or LMII cat back, you have to run a catted Y-pipe.
    anything else and youll sound like a dump truck...
    if you want mellow...look at magnaflow.
    if you want to replace headers...ceramic coated pacesetters are a reasonable price.
    IMO Pacesetter, Catted Y and the LM II sounds good...
    ARH, Catted Y and the LM II sounds even better

bottom line...SLP headers arent the best choice...
    my vote....if you go with a magnaflow catback...get an ORY
    ls1caminos exhaust would be a better investment..
    just my twocents
    (that is if you plan on changing your setup in the future)

SLP headers are the worst choice among LS1 headers period.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Hooker aerochamber is one of the more quieter catbacks, it also is one of the best flowing. It does wake up on the top end like most other catbacks. I also happen to have one if you are interested
    The only one thats not quiet at crusing speeds on stock manifolds imo are the lm's

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

A bit later I will start a thread showing the progression of the LM.....

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Success!!

Well guys...,

I have had the magnaflow muffler installed a few days now and the fitting wasn't plain sailing as it had to mate up with my SLP y and rear pipework.

I had to cut off one end of it as both were 3" I/D and i needed one end 3" O/D. so one welding task later it got fitted and i am very happy with the result!!

It has gone from the situation where we started calling the RPM area where it happened as the "drone zone". to a nice growl and perfectly acceptable.... no, more than acceptable, really a great sound and thanks to all who had some input in the choice of muffler

Now.... To add to this, i have been in contact with Steve Williams (Frost) regarding my present tune and i said i would get this drone situation settled before thinking of another tune. What i would like to know if anybody has heard of
    "Ed Wright Automotive" in Tulsa Oklahoma and can comment ,good or bad, on them? These are the people that did the present re-tune to take into account the headers and whatnot. and the previous owner in upstate New York swore that it was a great tune and really exploited the bolt ons and ran like a champ from before! My problem is i don't know what it was like before (stock), and even though it does run very well indeed with no codes at all, i have the disadvantage of wondering if Steve (and EVERYBODY rates him so highly) could improve on what i have even further if i explain every mod done to the car..or would i be throwing money away!? He would reprogram a PCM from his stock and mail it for $225 plus shipping and this seems pretty good value to me?

I would love to hear anybodys thoughts on this situation and ANY replies are welcomed!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Trev )

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Well guys...,

I have had the magnaflow muffler installed a few days now and the fitting wasn't plain sailing as it had to mate up with my SLP y and rear pipework.

I had to cut off one end of it as both were 3" I/D and i needed one end 3" O/D. so one welding task later it got fitted and i am very happy with the result!!

It has gone from the situation where we started calling the RPM area where it happened as the "drone zone". to a nice growl and perfectly acceptable.... no, more than acceptable, really a great sound and thanks to all who had some input in the choice of muffler

Now.... To add to this, i have been in contact with Steve Williams (Frost) regarding my present tune and i said i would get this drone situation settled before thinking of another tune. What i would like to know if anybody has heard of
    "Ed Wright Automotive" in Tulsa Oklahoma and can comment ,good or bad, on them? These are the people that did the present re-tune to take into account the headers and whatnot. and the previous owner in upstate New York swore that it was a great tune and really exploited the bolt ons and ran like a champ from before! My problem is i don't know what it was like before (stock), and even though it does run very well indeed with no codes at all, i have the disadvantage of wondering if Steve (and EVERYBODY rates him so highly) could improve on what i have even further if i explain every mod done to the car..or would i be throwing money away!? He would reprogram a PCM from his stock and mail it for $225 plus shipping and this seems pretty good value to me?

I would love to hear anybodys thoughts on this situation and ANY replies are welcomed!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Trev )
    Throughout the USA, there are not many, if any at all, finer tuners than Ed Wright. Ask Procharger and many other vendors across America.

red
    2010 honda

Re: MAGNAFLOW
    Posted by fastwisne -
    whenever you're on craigslist dont you get hesitant when someone puts "custom" exhaust in the description of the ride?

I have magnaflow and i love it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information