Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

FAST vs. LS6

This is a discussion on FAST vs. LS6 within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; okay... here's the poll question. I have a 2002 WS6 M6 12k miles. I was wondering if the gains with ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    210

    Artic White
    2002 ws6

    FAST vs. LS6

    okay... here's the poll question. I have a 2002 WS6 M6 12k miles. I was wondering if the gains with the FAST intake are going to be enough over my stock LS6 intake to justify spending that kind of cash.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    what are your mods?

  3. #3
    Military Muscle :usa: MYSCZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbia,SC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    511

    Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

    FAST Alone no...but along with supporting mods heads/exhaust/cam tune then yes

    caveat to my orginal post- You will see some gains, if the end result is you would end up getting one its not a bad place to start but as a only mod then grab the LS6 intake
    Last edited by MYSCZ06; 02-04-2009 at 06:18 AM.

  4. #4
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Pewter_LS1 View Post
    FAST Alone no...but along with supporting mods heads/exhaust/cam tune then yes
    Do you think it is worth it with a bolt-on/cam engine with stock heads?

    2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

    2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

    2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

    2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

  5. #5
    Military Muscle :usa: MYSCZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbia,SC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    511

    Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

    not too say he wont get any gains with just FAST alone but you really see it when its matched up with supporting mods...so yea you will see gains with cam and bolt- on's, tune etc

  6. #6
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Pewter_LS1 View Post
    not too say he wont get any gains with just FAST alone but you really see it when its matched up with supporting mods...so yea you will see gains with cam and bolt- on's, tune etc
    I was speaking of myself, I've been pondering the idea of dropping a load of cash on one, but didn't know if it would be worth it w/o heads. I already have the ls6, so it's not bad... just curious what your thoughts were on $1000 for it plus t/b.

    Thank you sir!

  7. #7
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I was speaking of myself, I've been pondering the idea of dropping a load of cash on one, but didn't know if it would be worth it w/o heads. I already have the ls6, so it's not bad... just curious what your thoughts were on $1000 for it plus t/b.

    Thank you sir!

    $1000 is way to much. they sell for right around $820-830 shipped on ebay (brand new) and the tb's go for about $400. theres a guy on there selling blems (they are the wrong color) and he say that they are perfect performance wise. He sells them for like $700 shipped, but i wouldnt trust that.

  8. #8
    Military Muscle :usa: MYSCZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbia,SC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    511

    Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

    DR Crash is correct is his statement they can be found cheaper on many LS based boards. I think the intake wouldnt hurt yea at this point since you have a good start on mods and then when you get around to a set of heads then it will really shine. Cruise the boards and get a good deal on a intake/tb set up which can be found for right around 900-1100 depending...

  9. #9
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    $1000 is way to much. they sell for right around $820-830 shipped on ebay (brand new) and the tb's go for about $400. theres a guy on there selling blems (they are the wrong color) and he say that they are perfect performance wise. He sells them for like $700 shipped, but i wouldnt trust that.
    Yeah I was basically quoting the intake/tb combos I have seen offered for right around a grand.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pewter_LS1 View Post
    DR Crash is correct is his statement they can be found cheaper on many LS based boards. I think the intake wouldnt hurt yea at this point since you have a good start on mods and then when you get around to a set of heads then it will really shine. Cruise the boards and get a good deal on a intake/tb set up which can be found for right around 900-1100 depending...

    Thank's for the input! I kinda expected to drop that coin into an intake in the future, but this summer is going to be all about the clutch and rear end set up.

  10. #10
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Do you think it is worth it with a bolt-on/cam engine with stock heads?
    Yes. I myself and alot of other cam only guys use a FAST 90/90. Most effective I feel when the cam is 230+.

  11. #11
    Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,045

    Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

    I'm currently running a FAST 90/90 on my car and all I have is bolt ons and it still runs well despite the oversized intake. I plan to go further with my mods eventually so I got it planning ahead. My mods are in my sig.

    The throttle response is amazing with the FAST, the motor revs up so much faster. Don't go for the FAST 90, get the 92 its a much better unit. The whole reasoning behind FAST releasing the 92 was to replace the problematic 90. The 92 is much more functional and reliable than the 90. Trust me I've been there and done that, get the 92 not the 90.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

    BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

  12. #12
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    you won't see substantial gains from removing ls6 intake until 400 wheel. i'm not a fan of BBK by any means, but they did somethin right on their LSx manifold. BBK manifold best NA manifold for the money. . .outflows fast outta the box and it's almost 1/2 the price.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    210

    Artic White
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    you won't see substantial gains from removing ls6 intake until 400 wheel. i'm not a fan of BBK by any means, but they did somethin right on their LSx manifold. BBK manifold best NA manifold for the money. . .outflows fast outta the box and it's almost 1/2 the price.
    Hmmm.... you say the BBK is a better more powerful intake than the FAST?

  14. #14
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    depending on setup, straight outta the box they flow best on 346 that i've seen. (excluding carb manifolds)

    "better" is not a word i like to sling around. both can be ported to match flow for your setup, both are designed off the LS6 manifold. with the FAST you are payin' for nitrous ports and fancy polymer compound construction. bbk is so much cheaper AND has outstanding flow characteristics right outta the box, more so than the FAST. i've run both on many applications, i personally use bbk for my NA 346.
    Last edited by side2000; 02-08-2009 at 09:28 AM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    210

    Artic White
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    depending on setup, straight outta the box they flow best on 346 that i've seen. (excluding carb manifolds)

    "better" is not a word i like to sling around. both can be ported to match flow for your setup, both are designed off the LS6 manifold. with the FAST you are payin' for nitrous ports and fancy polymer compound construction. bbk is so much cheaper AND has outstanding flow characteristics right outta the box, more so than the FAST. i've run both on many applications, i personally use bbk for my NA 346.
    Awesome. Thanks for the input.

  16. #16
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Something to think about to is that if you do get a fast setup, you can sell your LS6 mani for about $300 which will help to offset the cost. Yes they are a little expensive, but they are also in my opnion the "best". If the BBK is really better, then why isn't everyone buying them? I would think that if there was a better product for less money, more people would recomend it. It would be nice to spend less money but you get what you pay for. Just my .02

  17. #17
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Something to think about to is that if you do get a fast setup, you can sell your LS6 mani for about $300 which will help to offset the cost. Yes they are a little expensive, but they are also in my opnion the "best". If the BBK is really better, then why isn't everyone buying them? I would think that if there was a better product for less money, more people would recomend it. It would be nice to spend less money but you get what you pay for. Just my .02
    Agreed...


    Anyone looking for an LS6 manifold?!?!?! lol

  18. #18
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Something to think about to is that if you do get a fast setup, you can sell your LS6 mani for about $300 which will help to offset the cost. Yes they are a little expensive, but they are also in my opnion the "best". If the BBK is really better, then why isn't everyone buying them? I would think that if there was a better product for less money, more people would recomend it. It would be nice to spend less money but you get what you pay for. Just my .02
    It could be that people tend to shy away from the cast aluminum construction. It's a little heavier than plastic and it also holds more heat. Something not condusive to HP when talking about intakes.

    I do favor the BBK though for boosted or NOS applications,,,just seems like a solid piece, plastic is a little scary for this in my opinion. Alot of people do it though That 2 piece design of the FAST scares the hell outta me for this reason (and a couple others),,,,,, but it also makes porting much easier.
    Just alot of different ways to look at it.

    For me the LS6 intake does the job on stock cubes and naturally aspirated. Thats all I plan on having. If I built a stroker motor I probably wouldn't hesitate for a better intake but for what I'm doing I have a hard time swallowing the price for such a small gain in HP that I would get. I'd rather spend $1,200 on something else personally.
    If you are squeaking for every last bit then by all means.....

  19. #19
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Agreed...


    Anyone looking for an LS6 manifold?!?!?! lol
    Yes I am,,,but for anymore than $300 shipped I wouldn't be interested. Since I have to invest in coolant lines, gaskets etc...that will set me back another $100.

  20. #20
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Agreed...


    Anyone looking for an LS6 manifold?!?!?! lol
    Ya I just ordered my fast and looking to sell my LS6 as well Haha
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 02-09-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FAST 90 on LS2
    By Mr. Luos in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
  2. 150 mph is a lil fast
    By SycoJoe69 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
  3. Ls1 Go Fast Parts*.Needs to go Fast!!
    By king_speed in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
  4. check out this fast ass supra!!! then a crazy fast honda...
    By got-a-ls1 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •