Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fast 90mm

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

fast 90mm

Im i ready for a fast 90mm intake and throttle body? I have a 98 A4 with 3.73 OBX headers, slp loudmouth, R/A, slp lid and bellows, eibach sportlines, bilsteen hd shocks, 35mm front, 25mm rear sways. None of this is installed. Should i get a new maf too. And is it ready to tune?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I dont see how your ready for a FAST 90/90. You need heads/cam or a big cam to see the benefits from it. Fast 90 on stock heads/cam is a waste of $$.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

unless your going to cam the car and do heads down the road, your wasteing money.
    leave the maf alone
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Putting a FAST intake on a stock heads/cam LS1 will not give you any more benefits than a LS6 intake would on stock heads/cam. You need to have a good size cam to see any benefits from the FAST intake.

I wouldn't mess with the MAF either.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Tuning is never a BAD idea, its just a matter of weighing the cost efficiency of it. Some people can afford to do a tune with bolt ons and will see some benefits, but for others, its not really cost efficient to do a tune with bolt ons.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Putting a FAST intake on a stock heads/cam LS1 will not give you any more benefits than a LS6 intake would on stock heads/cam. You need to have a good size cam to see any benefits from the FAST intake.

I wouldn't mess with the MAF either.
    I learned my leason don't get a maf enless your ready to tune I did and it started making my car bogg down put stock maf back on works fine going to clean it tn and take my car to the track for the first time tm wish me luck guys 98 ss camaro 5.7 m6 3.73 with slp lm1, slp cold air set up with lid and smooth bellows what do you think I should be around I ordered the pro 5.0 but won't get till the 8th I'm kinda pissed about that one but oh well.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Thank you all. I guess i need to buy heads and a cam. Is it worth the money to go over ls6 heads, how much better are they than ls1 heads? Damn this is getting expensive.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 13nickels View Post
    Thank you all. I guess i need to buy heads and a cam. Is it worth the money to go over ls6 heads, how much better are they than ls1 heads? Damn this is getting expensive.
    What are your goals for the car? Doesn't sound like you've thought about it much. Just throwing parts and money at it is pointless. Do reasearch. I've known guys that put head and cam kits on there car before vitals like a rear and clutch. They go to the track and get there asses handed to em by guys with way less mods.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    What are your goals for the car? Doesn't sound like you've thought about it much. Just throwing parts and money at it is pointless. Do reasearch. I've known guys that put head and cam kits on there car before vitals like a rear and clutch. They go to the track and get there asses handed to em by guys with way less mods.
    I"ve done a lot of research and I have an idea of where im going with it. I just wasnt ready to buy heads or break into the internals yet. Its got 90k miles on it. I wanted to wait until i pulled the motor before getting to deep. Just wanted to know where to stop with the bolt ons. BTW i have a A4 and already have 3.73s so no clutch, maybe I'll put a small converter on it. I dont want a mean ass drag car, just a powerful, well tuned, great handling car.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I"ve done a lot of research and I have an idea of where im going with it. I just wasnt ready to buy heads or break into the internals yet. Its got 90k miles on it. I wanted to wait until i pulled the motor before getting to deep. Just wanted to know where to stop with the bolt ons. BTW i have a A4 and already have 3.73s so no clutch, maybe I'll put a small converter on it. I dont want a mean ass drag car, just a powerful, well tuned, great handling car.
    Okay. Prolly a good idea to wait on the internals then. Convertor would be one of my first mods then. They really make the car come alive.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Okay. Prolly a good idea to wait on the internals then. Convertor would be one of my first mods then. They really make the car come alive.
    Hey man have you ever put a converter on your car or driven one with one on it, question is how is daily driving affected, will it accelerate normally in stop and go traffic. I have this idea that its like dumping the clutch at 3000 rpms everytime. I know thats not the case but ive never tested one.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Hey man have you ever put a converter on your car or driven one with one on it, question is how is daily driving affected, will it accelerate normally in stop and go traffic. I have this idea that its like dumping the clutch at 3000 rpms everytime. I know thats not the case but ive never tested one.
    I have a 3800 stall in my car with a few bolt ons. It drives perfectly normal and accelerates fine. Before I had a few bolt ons, the throttle was a little spongy, but not that bad.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

I have a 3800 stall in my car with a few bolt ons. It drives perfectly normal and accelerates fine. Before I had a few bolt ons, the throttle was a little spongy, but not that bad.
    Thanks good info, i think ill go with a 3000 stall, anything over that I feel would be overkill. Ive never pulled the tranny on one of these either, but I have on many others, is there anything i should be aware of before i drop the tranny.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks good info, i think ill go with a 3000 stall, anything over that I feel would be overkill. Ive never pulled the tranny on one of these either, but I have on many others, is there anything i should be aware of before i drop the tranny.
    I really recommend a 3500 for an LS1. Most people that get anything less than 3400 usually regret it.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

I really recommend a 3500 for an LS1. Most people that get anything less than 3400 usually regret it.
    I do some SCCA racing, will the stall effect the track performance

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

As mentioned...Unless you plan on upgrading the cam to something HUGE and adding heads on top of it...go with the LS6 intake. You can find a used one for $350 maximum.

Stock MAF > any other MAF
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have always read you want at least a 3,600 stall.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    As mentioned...Unless you plan on upgrading the cam to something HUGE and adding heads on top of it...go with the LS6 intake. You can find a used one for $350 maximum.

Stock MAF > any other MAF
    Hey brother nice to finally talk to you. I was completely satisfied with my car until i saw your vid on youtube. Wow what nice car man. and also the reason i joined this forum. I plan on digging into the engine in a few months, cam heads, rockers, maybe even pull the motor and rebuild it with some goodies. Rebuild the tranny.
    I think I'll wait to buy a intake until i do that, Gotta save some money first. My goal is to have at least 400hp at the wheel. With these mods do you think i'll be close?

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I have always read you want at least a 3,600 stall.
    I've always heard the same...at the very least a 3,600 stall; as a lower stall doesn't improve performance nearly as noticeably & those who have purchased lower stalls regret doing so...could be wrong, any opinions?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

i have a 3000 rpm converter. its not like your dumping a clutch at all.
    matter of fact if a non gear head was to drive my car, they wouldnt even know i have a stall.
    daily driving wont be affected much at all unless you mash the gas from stop light to stop light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information