Exhuast/Muffler Question

This is a discussion on Exhuast/Muffler Question within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So, I hope this isn't too stupid of a question to be asking, but I am just looking to see ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Exhuast/Muffler Question

So, I hope this isn't too stupid of a question to be asking, but I am just looking to see if what I heard was right. Is there a way to modify your catback such that it will be louder? I have a Borla system, and I thought I had read somewhere that there are cones inside of the muffler that you can modify/remove, resulting in a louder exhaust note. I can't find where I had been reading up on this, and I can't recall seeing anything on our forum about this lately. I'm not trying to cut out the "cut-out" so to speak, but I just wanted it a bit louder when I get into higher RPMs. I really appreciate all the info you guys can share. Thanks

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Here is a copy and paste of what ive found

69 z11
    Jul 9th, 07, 03:58 PM
    Dennis, that could very well be a factory SLP exhaust! Sorry about that, didn't mean to confuse anyone, I was just talking about the original SLP TOTL exhaust. Here's the story as I understand it:

When the SS first came out and you ordered the optional SLP exhaust you got the "two out the left" or TOTL. The exhaust code is 20TL. The systems installed in 96 did not have the cone of silence in them so they were pretty loud :yes:. This system also made the most horsepower because they flowed really well. Somebody (EPA) told GM/SLP that the sound level was too high and to fix it. The solution was the infamous "cone of silence" which is essentially a tapered washer welded into the end of the exhaust pipe where is goes into the muffler. It reduces the diameter of the pipe from 3" down to about 1.5". When I took mine out - big difference in sound - and seat of the pants too. Anyway, sometime in mid year 1997, GM/SLP decided to get rid of the TOTL because of the noise issue and people bitching that it didn't have a dual exhaust. They started installing the dual/dual outlet pipe instead of the TOTL sometime in the midyear. This system didn't quite flow as much but was quieter and also looks pretty good.

So: An original 1997 SS could have one of three exhaust systems and be 100% correct. The SLP TOTL, the SLP dual/dual, or the GM Z28 set up which has two chrome RECTANGULAR exhaust outlets.

BTW, of the 957 1997 30th Anniversary SS cars, 871 had the optional SLP exhaust. If you have one of the 30th SS cars with the stock Z28 exhaust, think real hard before you change it! There were only 38 30th Anniversary SS T-Tops, 26 coupes, and 22 convertibles sold with the original GM Z28 exhaust. I'd imagine the numbers are very similar for the regular 97 SS cars.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Yes certain Borla exhaust's have a block off plate with different size plates you can install to change the note. Here's the style that has it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thank you both very much!

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

No problem at all.

Thread Information