Exhaust setup

This is a discussion on Exhaust setup within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Alright, ive got a 98 z28 and i want to put a complete exhaust system on it, headers back. I ...

WHITE
    1998 CAMARO

Exhaust setup

Alright, ive got a 98 z28 and i want to put a complete exhaust system on it, headers back. I was planning on going with the SLP headers and either borla or corsa mufflers, but i just cant seem to find a whole lot of information about all the other piping in between. Is there something that would bolt on to the mufflers and headers or should i take it to a shop to have them custom make the tubing.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

You mean to do duals or do a cat back system? If you get the SLP Y pipe and the cat back you'll have all the parts you need.
    2000 SS Conv, M6, Onyx - SLP Lid, CAI, TTS LTs, AFR 205s, 220 224 581 581 114, Z6 Int. & clutch, 3.73s, GMMG, ASP, 160 stat, Rapid tune, STB, LCAs, Brkts, SFCs, SLP 1LE, Hurst Billet+.TTIIs (Gunmetal), BFG KDWs. 406rwhp, 376rwtq + 2011 Camaro Vert Triple Black

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

SLP headers are a waste. Believe me, I know. I had the SLP's.
    For the price, get Kooks or QTP. Much better headers.

I posted this pic in another thread just a minute ago as well....
    Kooks are the bottom headers, the top ones are SLP.
    The SLP's are used, the Kooks are new.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

JGA
    Hi

If I had to do it again I would get Kooks. They are expensive, but they seen to have the only Y pipe that realy tucks up nicely. You can even get you factory tunnel brace back on. If you want to do a tunnel mount torqure arm, you will be able to get the one with the cross brace that goeas straight across and no lose in clearance.

JA

WHITE
    1998 CAMARO

see, i didnt want to use a y pipe...i wanted to go tru dual. I was gonna have two headers, two hi flo cats, either an x pipe or custom tubing(but two seperate pipes), and two mufflers. I want my car to sound sick and im pretty sure that will cover it, i just dont know about everything in between the mufflers and the headers.

WHITE
    1998 CAMARO

also, ive heard the corsa exhaust online and it sound omg orgasmic, but i was doing tru dual with one would have a better indicator of how it would sound...the corvette or the camaro which has a y pipe

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

The Corsa or Borla both sound OK as long as you keep the cats. If you ever plan to get rid of the cats go with GMMG exhaust.

The Corsa/Borla both sound like a cross between a Ferrari and a weedwacker without cats - believe me, I have 1st hand experience

I currently run JetHot Hooker LT's, JetHot Y-Pipe, no cats, and GMMG. The hookers fit well & tuck up nicely under the car with no loss to ground clearance. The JetHot Y follows right in suit & has no interference with crossmember. I have no issues whatsoever with any exhaust part hitting the car at any point and I didn't have to modify anything on the car to get that result.

-Jay-
    Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 10-30-2005 at 01:25 AM.

WHITE
    1998 CAMARO

ive been reading up a lot on gmmg and what if i wanted to put hi flow cats on there...should i still go with the gmmg?

LS1 is the only one...

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Pacesetters are pretty cheap, Jet Hot LT's aren't bad either.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I haven't actually heard a GMMG on a car with cats - in fact I haven't seen another T/A in my area with GMMG.

I would assume (there's that word) that it would sound fine - if anything, the sound would be quieted somewhat by the addition of the cats.

The Borla/Corsa both sounded great when I had the cats, stock headers/y-pipe - soon as I upgraded these items and removed the cats there was the awful 'rasp' that I spoke of earlier. I ended up selling both exhaust setups to friends who still have their cats - and they sound fine.

WHITE
    1998 CAMARO

gmmg is a pretty rare company to find on a car...i live in south florida and ive never seen any car with them on there. see, here's the thing...im gonna put a super charger on there and i know my car will be loud as hell after that, especially with a complete aftermarket exhaust system (stainless works headers, qtp ory pipe w/ cutouts, and gmmg exhaust)....i just dont want it to be way too loud, thats why the cats are staying...so with that setup, is there another cat back you'd suggest or would gmmg be the way to go?

Thread Information