2002 TA

Exhaust questions....

I'm still new to the LS1's, but after looking at a few headers and such.... why is it that it usually comes off the header as a Y and if you want dual exhaust it is usually fake dual at the end, or am I missing something here? Do they make X or H pipes for these cars? What about just simply true duals? Is there not much difference in sound and performance? I would think fitting an X or just true duals straight back would be more beneficial? Are there clearance issues?....

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Making room for the pipe and clearance issues.
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

2002 TA

So what do most people do? Y pipe into true duals? Does anyone do True Duals all the way back?

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Pythias View Post
    So what do most people do? Y pipe into true duals? Does anyone do True Duals all the way back?
    yeah i was plannin on getting hooker lts, with the texas speed True duals, im getting them dumped tho

2002 TA

I've heard dumped makes it louder inside and quieter outside, maybe its because I'm used to mid pipes and such but I don't think I'd do a Y pipe into fake duals, I'd do true duals all the way back no matter how expensive

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

That is the thing to do!!!! GO WITH TRUE DUALS, OVER THE AXLE AND OUT THE BACK!!!!!!!.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Most catback systems run from the Y-pipe as a large diameter single pipe, and then split off into 2 pipes out the back of the car. Thats the setup most people have.

There are 2 true dual systems that I know of. The Bassani True Dual system and the Texas Speed true dual system. I've heard and seen pictures of the Bassani system, but not of the Texas Speed system. I was very impressed with the Bassani system. It starts at the headers, goes into an X-pipe, and then runs dual pipes to the muffler - using the same location as the stock exhaust system, so there are no clearance issues.

2002 TA

I will definitely get the bassani System once I get my hands on an LS1 then..... Just something that feels wrong to me about having a Y pipe, although I am partial as I have also had X-pipes on my cars, and do on my current one.

I can't seem to find the Bassani one on their website...

Also I just checked out the TSR system, looks very nice for the price, the only thing else you would need is the headers. Anyone have any opinions on any of the 3 muffler options that come with it? Which is the loudest?
    Last edited by Pythias; 10-10-2006 at 09:51 PM.

white
    02 Z28

many have wondered
    slp loudmouth,
    k/n, c6 wheels
    strut tower brace,
    factory zo6 heads,
    the freak car

2002 TA

??? Btw your car looks very nice

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6

I will definitely get the bassani System once I get my hands on an LS1 then..... Just something that feels wrong to me about having a Y pipe, although I am partial as I have also had X-pipes on my cars, and do on my current one.

Also I just checked out the TSR system, looks very nice for the price, the only thing else you would need is the headers. Anyone have any opinions on any of the 3 muffler options that come with it? Which is the loudest?
    sweet thunder is supposedly the loudest, but i think the bullets sound nice, check it out on ls1sounds.com

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

For some reason Bassani doesn't list the LS1 true dual setup on their website. For pictures go to ls1sounds.com and click "True Duals", if you want to purchase the system try www.vincihiperformance.com

2002 TA

Thanks for the help guys!

red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

i have a 98 ss with gutted cats and a single to dual system w/ no muffler and was thinking of adding the borla muffler instead of the straight through exhaust. my question is if i will gain or lose a good amount of power? also i dont have o2 simms but the car does run pretty strong, i was told o2 simms will improve the performance and keep my ses light off? any info?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro1384 View Post
    i have a 98 ss with gutted cats and a single to dual system w/ no muffler and was thinking of adding the borla muffler instead of the straight through exhaust. my question is if i will gain or lose a good amount of power? also i dont have o2 simms but the car does run pretty strong, i was told o2 simms will improve the performance and keep my ses light off? any info?
    O2 sims won't improve performance at all.

They will just keep the secondary O2 sensors from tripping the Check Engine Light.

Silver
    2002 Z28

2 cutouts on the y-pipe =)

Thread Information