exhaust question

This is a discussion on exhaust question within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I want to do a true dual setup, but I don't want it too loud. the idea I had was ...

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

exhaust question

I want to do a true dual setup, but I don't want it too loud. the idea I had was do pipes straight off the headers back over the axle and use a dual/dual muffler with crossover as the x-pipe.

so does it matter where the x pipe is in the exhaust system?

would this sound pretty good?

could I put a bullet muffler in the piping to quiet it down a bit?

white
    94 camaro z28

any help?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

X-pipe is usually right after the Headers, where theres the most room.

Depending on what kind of mufflers your using will vary in sound, are going to run cats?
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

You could shoot Dr. Gas an email and ask. They make the best x-pipes in the business that are tuned with different size and shape openings for various combo's.

Thats who did my setup. There is a specific area where the X-pipe is most benificial,,,,I am sure they can tell you. I could measure mine but I believe it's in the vicinity of 18-24 inches of the headers collectors.

white
    94 camaro z28

I will not have any cats. I am calling my exhaust guy up in the morning and seeing how much he would charge to do td's with a couple bullet mufflers where the cats would go and I was gonna do an x-pipe as soon after that as possible and then put it over the axle on opposite sides and then make it dump over the axles, and go into a magnaflow dual/dual muffler. possibly a flowmaster muffler there instead because he sells them really cheap to people he likes. lol.

does that sound more like something that would sound good?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

This is like the second thread about what exhaust to go with on your car. No offense dude, but you need to just go with something more main stream. I know you want something different, but then you have no clue what it'll sound like and on top of it you might not like it. I.E. waste of money. I would just go with something like a Magnaflow catback...

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    This is like the second thread about what exhaust to go with on your car. No offense dude, but you need to just go with something more main stream. I know you want something different, but then you have no clue what it'll sound like and on top of it you might not like it. I.E. waste of money. I would just go with something like a Magnaflow catback...
    eh I would get bored with it. lol. I am gonna call the guy that does my exhaust stuff. I just decided on what I want. I am just gonna see if he can do it. if he can, I know what it'll sound like already. found a clip of something similar. only difference was they went magnaflow instead of flowmaster at one point. I could go either way. same design. I know the magnaflow would sound a bit better. I'll talk to the guy that does the stuff and see if he can make it happen. heck he did one of my friend's 96 trans am's true duals and fit 4 bullet mufflers on it. it was a little different though. I didn't like how it had no rasp at all. it sounded like a cammed import really. it was weird. then again it was 2 magnaflow bullets and 2 dynomax bullets. that's why it sounded like that.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

This is just my opinion, but I would not change a thing on my exhaust, the Sound of LT's ORY and Magnaflow Catback sounds amazing.

I get tons of compliments on how my car sounds, not to loud and not to quiet.

Plus its simple

Sounds like your just beatin' yourself up over what to do. Keep it simple.
    Like the others have said, there are plenty of quality cat back systems out there with different sound levels. They all perform the same, we've tried a bunch of them with similar results,,,,just pick the sound you like and go with it.

I wouldn't cobble up the car with 4 mufflers and a bunch of crap that hangs too low. That just sounds like a mess to me.

If you want a nice dual system go with Bassani,,,they make one of the best and it fits nice.

If you want one of the best single cat back systems I have ever tried,,,,then go with a Mufflex 4 inch system with the optional Spintech muffler.

white
    94 camaro z28

well I decided on what to do and it's only gonna cost 300 because I got a friend with an exhaust shop. I am getting a custom true duals with x-pipe and magnaflow dual/dual muffler in the back. it should sound really good.

Thread Information