exhaust question

This is a discussion on exhaust question within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am in the process of buying a 95 camaro, its a 3.4L and i have no clue on what ...

Black
    95 3.4

exhaust question

I am in the process of buying a 95 camaro, its a 3.4L and i have no clue on what exhaust kit to get. I wanted to get Borla but they dont make it for my size motor. I want to get something loud and aggressive. I also read the stop and dont ask exhaust questions but i know the differece about the kinds , just dont know what name brand to do with, thing like that.

Thanks John.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Uh, don't sink any dough into your v-6 is my first bit of advice. Camaro v-6's with exhaust sound just silly. If your wanting a v-6 due to gas mileage then just drive it the way it is. Is there any reason you can't manage an LT1 of the same year or even a year or two older? They are pretty cheap these days too. Your 25 man, it's time to step up don't ya think?

Black
    95 3.4

Well i got it because it was cheap, and i just bought a house, have custody of my son and dont recieve child support so i didnt need the payments. Plus i have a show truck that i have been sinking money into. My buddy has a 2000 ss for sale but like i said i cant afford the payments.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

just try saving money for what you want. i just get mine. 7 months now.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

You can get any LT1 exhaust kit for your 3.4 but don't expect to sound like a V8. It will rumble on idle but past 3K rpms it will sound like a V6. Trust me, I own a 3.8 v6 fbody, I had flows 80 3" CB it sounded like ass, then swap the muffler to a dynomax and never looked back. Their point is 3.4s/3.8s are intended mainly for economical use. But don't get discourage with these guys giving you some flack owning a v6 and modding your ride, some of these guys just don't see the point modding a six banger. My 3.8 fbody ran 14.7 @ 96 mph.
    Last edited by bene; 05-27-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

A V-6 sounds great with true duals using 2 inch pipes. Of-course, you will have to install a catalytic convertor on the drivers side to make it street legal in most states. But, as I said. A V-6 sounds good with true duals going over the axle, through straight through, noise cancelling mufflers (one located on each side of the rear tub) and out the rear from beneath the rear bumper, one on each side in the stock location like on the Z-28 or SS. It is a setup that you don't see often, but when you find one, they really sound good.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2drool4
    Well i got it because it was cheap, and i just bought a house, have custody of my son and dont recieve child support so i didnt need the payments. Plus i have a show truck that i have been sinking money into. My buddy has a 2000 ss for sale but like i said i cant afford the payments.

Congrats to you on buying a house. I admire the custody thing with your son too. Very responsible. I think you should just drive the v-6 camaro for what it is. Ya you can put true duals on if you want but listen man that might cost you as much as the damn car. True duals over the axel gets expensive. Throw in a cat and maybe some custom exhaust work and viola $$$. Really, save the cash.

true duels on a v6 is overkill in my opinion....i have a 99 3.8 with a single in/dual out flowmaster 40 series delta flow with a straight pipe in place of my cat, sounds mean and throaty down low just like z, but at about 4k's it gets raspy...which is expected....im in the same boat you're in, ive got bills, a beautiful 2 year old daughter, g/f so i didnt have the money for a z or i would of been on that like ugly on diane keaton, plus i picked up my 99 a4 with t-tops and 60k miles about 2 years ago for $4k so i couldnt pass it up

[QUOTE=Huskerz1]Uh, don't sink any dough into your v-6 is my first bit of advice. Camaro v-6's with exhaust sound just silly. If your wanting a v-6 due to gas mileage then just drive it the way it is. Is there any reason you can't manage an LT1 of the same year or even a year or two older? They are pretty cheap these days too. Your 25 man, it's time to step up don't ya think?[/QUOTE

not all v6 fbodys sound silly, mine sure as hell doesnt, dont think your better than anyone because you have v8, because, trust me, YOUR NOT, and about the age remark, what the hell does age have to do with the size of the engine in your car??? hell if that was the case, teens=v6, twentys=v8, and thirtys(like you)=v10.........so where the hells your v10? nuff said

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Thumbs up

After all of that was said (&^%@%(*&(*^$) I still say that a V-6 and an inline 6 and a with true duals has a sound that is great and the power increase isn't bad either. Each (inline and V) has a different sound of-course, but both have a sound that is good. Duals on the V-6 is a setup that one does not see often because (as stated be one here on the form) it is only an "ole" 6 so why bother with it. So many people seem to think that way. Duals on a V-6 picks up horsepower just like duals on a V-8 picks horsepower. Duals on a V-6 (as well as an inline 6) produces a sound that is unique, and different and increases the horsepiwer just like the duals on the V-8 increases the power. I have had several 6 cylinder cars over the years with true duals. The power increase and the sound that I picked up with the duals was well worth the time and the dollars it took to install. Guys, don't put down the V-6 (or inline 6 for that matter) just because it is a 6 cylinder. You just might be surprised at what a 6 cylinder can do and or can be modified to do. Sometimes they can be down right awsome.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

[QUOTE=i not tarted]
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1
    Uh, don't sink any dough into your v-6 is my first bit of advice. Camaro v-6's with exhaust sound just silly. If your wanting a v-6 due to gas mileage then just drive it the way it is. Is there any reason you can't manage an LT1 of the same year or even a year or two older? They are pretty cheap these days too. Your 25 man, it's time to step up don't ya think?[/QUOTE

not all v6 fbodys sound silly, mine sure as hell doesnt, dont think your better than anyone because you have v8, because, trust me, YOUR NOT, and about the age remark, what the hell does age have to do with the size of the engine in your car??? hell if that was the case, teens=v6, twentys=v8, and thirtys(like you)=v10.........so where the hells your v10? nuff said

LOL! Offended huh? Listen Napoleon, if I were to buy a v-6, it wouldn't be a camaro. If I was hard strapped with bills and lack of money then hows about a 4 door economical piece of transportation that my kids could get in an out of easily. The name camaro means 2 door sports car which in turn isn't associated with v-6 now is it? Which aslo means why put a dual exhaust on a v-6 2 door camaro when your already strapped for money? Your almost correct as far as the age thing goes... Naw 30 something guys still need v-8s. It's when I turn 50 I will look at diesels and v-10s or caddys. BTW do you think 30 something is too old to kick some ass?
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 06-01-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Talking

[QUOTE=Huskerz1]
    Quote Originally Posted by i not tarted

LOL! Offended huh? Listen Napoleon, if I were to buy a v-6, it wouldn't be a camaro. If I was hard strapped with bills and lack of money then hows about a 4 door economical piece of transportation that my kids could get in an out of easily. The name camaro means 2 door sports car which in turn isn't associated with v-6 now is it? Which aslo means why put a dual exhaust on a v-6 2 door camaro when your already strapped for money? Your almost correct as far as the age thing goes... Naw 30 something guys still need v-8s. It's when I turn 50 I will look at diesels and v-10s or caddys. BTW do you think 30 something is too old to kick some ass?
    not offended, your just a fucking idiot, you can TRY and kick my ass OLD FART, doubt it will ever happen.........about my v6, i paid 3500 for a 99 camaro with 50k miles, couldnt pass up the deal, oh, another thing, im in the market for a ls1 z w/in the next month, A V6 CAMARO IS STILL A CAMARO you stupid bitch ass fucker now go fuck your mom, i just got done w/her, oh wait, its your dads turn now, haha, thats rights, the order goes:me,your dad, and then you get sloppy 3rds bitch boy

dude, whats wrong with you guys. everybody just chill the hell out. this is a tech forum. both of you blew up way too easily. answer the guy's question and move on.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

You went overboard with the insults. I hope to see an appology. I see you only have 6 posts. That is just not the way we talk to each other on this tech site. No daddy to teach you manners. Don't worry your daddy's coming soon.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 06-04-2006 at 12:16 AM.

ok ok im sorry, im sorry your dad didnt wrap his shit when he slid it in your mom

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Alright that is enough of the insults and flaming. If you don't like what the guy bought then leave it at that. No need to start on him. He was asking a question. Pm's is where the flaming needs to go.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

Just get a Magnaflow muffler and dual pipes from a good muffler shop. I had a 96 V6 and I picked up a couple MPG and it sounded much better. For a few bucks more, get a SLP valance and run it out the center. Kinda trick.
    Last edited by Bowtie Guy; 01-02-2008 at 10:48 AM.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by 2drool4
    John, have a muffler shop fab you up a complete system. It shouldn't be too costly, and it will sound a great deal better over stock. I think what Huskerz1 was implying, was to not get caught up in a six cylinder "build". My advice, if you plan on building her at all that is, is, focus on the suspension and rear, first (after you have a little fun w/the exhaust note).

Swapping in an LTx/LSx will be a breeze, and the beauty of it is, you can build the engine to you're specs (in you're new garage) while you're driving around with the 3.4. Tremendous opportunity with six cylinder F-Body's, insurance wise, especially! Enjoy you're new ride bro, and welcome.

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Whatever you do, don't put a flowmaster on it.

I had a 98 Grand Prix GT and made the flowmaster mistake. It drones and rasps like MAD!.

I ended up switching to dynomax turbo mufflers. they sounded much better. Not as much rasp or drone, but just as loud/deep outside.

But, the still didn't sound "good."

But, if you have to, dynomax or magnaflow will sound the best.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, SLP lid, Holley filter, Shaner S3 TB, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs, Edelbrock PHR. Moser 9" 4.11 gears.

**FOR SALE**: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/fs-02-silver-t-heads-cam-headers-9-fl-60478/

Thread Information