Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Exhaust for my '01 WS6

Now that I have my new car home, I'm lookin at exhaust mods. I want to go with long tube headers and guessing an after market muffler. (I've heard Borla and Flowmaster are good). Also, I've seen alot of guys run a Y-pipe. My cousin insists that the H-pipe he had on his LT1 is the way to go. Can anyone comment on this? And what is everyones' thoughts on mixing brands in your set up? I don't think it should make a difference but just curious. Finally, will I need to change the tubing on the way back? I know I will if I run an H-pipe or from the point of the Y-pipe back if I go with that route.

Any help or information on the above topics would be great! I'm ready to learn so fire away.

P.S. I know this is supposed to be in the Exhaust or Bolt ons section. Haven't figured out how to access that. So if I could get a tip on that as well that would be great. Not trying to piss anyone off by posting exhaust question on this part of the forum.
    Last edited by SactownHuskers; 08-29-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Long tubes are always a good place to start, as well as replacing the smashed, small stock y-pipe. Commonly, the best place to start is with a catback system. You don't run a h-pipe from the y, you replace the y with h. You only want a h-pipe if your going to run true duals, which leads to higher performance but costs more (unless you run open headers). As for mixing brands there is never a problem with that, mixing will give you a custom sound and performance. I would read as many threads as possible, you'll get alot further that way than starting a new one, I'm pretty sure they have a sticky on exhaust set ups. Many different companies sell many different kinds of exhaust set ups, from complete front to back, to just tips. I guess it mainly depends on how much money you have to spend.

true duals is the way to go there are to ways to do this 1- all custom 2- bassani makes a true dual system but cost some, then there is a catback i would get GMMG. this is just my .02

BTW- check out ( LS1sounds.com ) to fine what sounds you like and go from there thats what alot of people do

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks guys. I did know that if I ran an H-pipe it replaced the Y pipe, guess my wording was confusing. But thank you for the info on the H-pipe and options. I will continue to just read all the threads I can find. I want a smoother low growl rather than what I would call a "choppy" or "sharp" sound if that makes any sense. The LS1sounds is probably where I'll want to start.
    Thanks, again.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I like the GMMG sound. Do the headers and Y pipe affect the sound near as much as the muffler one goes with? I like the SLP Dual-Dual sound on that page. Does that stand for true duals?

lt and ypipe will affect the sounds no matter catback or true duats ( no ypipe with dual ) but IMHO put a full exhaust on the car if you have the money. and if your state doesnt need cats dont waste the money on them but it will be alittle louder with no cats some sometimes it smells like gas out the exhaust

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

How much $$$ are you looking at modding with? That's always a good place to start. For the price Hooker and Magnaflow both flow well for CB systems, and yes you should add headers with no cats also to get the most out of the engine. However you will need someone to delete the codes for the ORY.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree with what everyone here is saying.

If you do get headers, get 1-7/8".

The best option in my opinion is to have a tame exhaust at idling speeds and for it to sound sick at WOT. Be careful with SLP. Depending on what headers you get in combination with the Loudmouth I set-up, it can sound really raspy.

Just for reference, I have Kooks LTs and a Loud Mouth II with no cats and I love the sound. I get compliments almost every time I take her out. It is pretty f'in loud with a deep loud tone.

You could also get a nice sounding, quieter exhaust and add an e-cutout so you have the best of both worlds. A lot of people do that.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a buddy that can delete the codes for the cats so that won't be a problem. I guess it's just a process of figuring out which brand gives me the desired sound I like.

This may have been explained and I may just have missed it, but isn't an H-pipe basically a little connector tube between true duals to even out the pressure? Or is that not the case? Just curious becuase a couple of you have said that true duals are the way to go for overall performance and sound. I guess I am more concerned with the sound being a good "rolling" growl rather than a "choppy" sound. I think that makes sense. Can I achieve this with true duals or would the Y-pipe be the right way to go to get this?

That being said, does anyone recommend any brands that tend to have a smooth rolling sounds versus a choppy or slappy type of sound? One poster recommended GMMG which I thought sounded close to what I want for sound. Also, Flowmaster and Borla sounded pretty close to the type of sound I wanted. Just wondering if anyone that runs these brands or others can tell me what their experience is with the sound.

I absolutely love this board and the resource for information it provides. I've been a T/A LS1 owner for two days and I can definitely feel commaraderie! Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Oh, and for money range I'm kind've open to whatever. I make pretty good money and as of right now the only modding I plan to do on this car is exhaust. Want to keep it as close to stock as possible (not looking to build a track car). So if there were two brands that were comparable and one was cheaper I would go with the less expensive one. But say there was one brand that stood head and shoulders above the rest I would choose it. (I know this isn't really the case and it's all on personal preference but just an example) Right now i'm kinda tentatively thinking 1-7/8 LT's with GMMG or Borla exhaust and maybe a flow master muffler or one of the two brands above.

a good rolling sounds ( not realy loud ) thats not choppy and not crazy money would be the Magnaflow with headers and ypipe IMO but if you put a good size cam in the car with just about any exhaust it will get chop b/c of the cam

Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Oh, and for money range I'm kind've open to whatever. I make pretty good money and as of right now the only modding I plan to do on this car is exhaust. Want to keep it as close to stock as possible (not looking to build a track car). So if there were two brands that were comparable and one was cheaper I would go with the less expensive one. But say there was one brand that stood head and shoulders above the rest I would choose it. (I know this isn't really the case and it's all on personal preference but just an example) Right now i'm kinda tentatively thinking 1-7/8 LT's with GMMG or Borla exhaust and maybe a flow master muffler or one of the two brands above.
    if your not going to do heads and cam i would just stick with a catback IMO and like i said before GMMG with headers and ypipe gets my vote hell ill even take the borla that anthe highend system i realy like but like i said they cost some more then others

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I don't think i'll be doing heads or cam work. I have a cam in my 1986 camaro with a half an inch of lift and it added some of that loping or chopping sounds like you said. Don't think I want to go that route with my WS6. Does GMMG make a muffler too or are they just the y pipe and headers? I really like the way my cousin's LT1 sounded with a flowmaster muffler (40 series i think if anyone is familiar). But if GMMG does make a muffler I may price check being as they both should give me the sound I want according to what you're sayin about GMMG, Blackbird.

Looks like the next step is to do the pricing.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't think i'll be doing heads or cam work. I have a cam in my 1986 camaro with a half an inch of lift and it added some of that loping or chopping sounds like you said. Don't think I want to go that route with my WS6. Does GMMG make a muffler too or are they just the y pipe and headers? I really like the way my cousin's LT1 sounded with a flowmaster muffler (40 series i think if anyone is familiar). But if GMMG does make a muffler I may price check being as they both should give me the sound I want according to what you're sayin about GMMG, Blackbird.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spin...ntechindex.asp

Lots of people love them. Check em out and ask around.

everyone likes a diff sounds and type of catback the GMMG is just my pick thats all you dont have to buy that one but the GMMG is just the catback you will have to buy the ypipe and headers they do not come with the GMMG, the borla is anther very nice system i would buy but these are higher end systems and cost alot more then others

http://www.gmmginc.net/Exhaust/index.php

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    everyone likes a diff sounds and type of catback the GMMG is just my pick thats all you dont have to buy that one but the GMMG is just the catback you will have to buy the ypipe and headers they do not come with the GMMG

http://www.gmmginc.net/Exhaust/index.php
    GMMG, Borla, Corsa, and Magnaflow. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these set-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    GMMG, Borla, Corsa, and Magnaflow. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these set-ups!
    true it all has to do with sounds and price range and if your doing heads and cam i would get true duals IMO

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Almost positive i'm not going to be doing that kind of work to my WS6. I'll leave that to my Camaro. Will true duals be much more expensive than going the ypipe route? Also, is it alot better on sound and performance or is it minimal?

I think i'll probaby aim for middle of the road or a little higher as far as prices are concerned. Don't know if I want to splurge for Borla or Corsa. Might go with Magnoflow and say Pacesetter or Kooks Headers. Heard Pacesetters are pretty good and not too bad on price. Heard Kooks are really good but a little pricier.
    Last edited by SactownHuskers; 08-30-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Almost positive i'm not going to be doing that kind of work to my WS6. I'll leave that to my Camaro. Will true duals be much more expensive than going the ypipe route? Also, is it alot better on sound and performance or is it minimal?

I think i'll probaby aim for middle of the road or a little higher as far as prices are concerned. Don't know if I want to splurge for Borla or Corsa. Might go with Magnoflow and say Pacesetter Headers. Heard they are pretty good and not too bad on price.
    Yes. Magnaflow with Pacesetter headers would be a good combo I think. Pacesetter LTs are a good quality construction header that doesn't kill the wallet. You will gain the most power advantage from running true duals with more HP I think. A stock application will not see HUGE advantages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information