Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exhaust for my '01 WS6

This is a discussion on Exhaust for my '01 WS6 within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 Almost positive i'm not going to be doing that kind of work to my WS6. I'll ...

Quote Originally Posted by '01BlackWS6 View Post
    Almost positive i'm not going to be doing that kind of work to my WS6. I'll leave that to my Camaro. Will true duals be much more expensive than going the ypipe route? Also, is it alot better on sound and performance or is it minimal?

I think i'll probaby aim for middle of the road or a little higher as far as prices are concerned. Don't know if I want to splurge for Borla or Corsa. Might go with Magnoflow and say Pacesetter Headers. Heard they are pretty good and not too bad on price.
    its all up to you if you want to put duals on your car IMHO i wouldnt if not doing heads and cam, i would stay with the catback borla/corsa/GMMG are going to be alot money wise, magnaflow and flowmaster will be alot cheaper

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks 35th. I'll have to kick that idea around... Would you still recommend all the same brands for true duals? And are Kooks headers alot better than Pacesetters? I priced them and it looks like a pair of Pacesetters are $450 and Kooks around $1000! Not sure i'm willing to pay twice as much unless there was a world of difference.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Think I'll stick to the Ypipe then. Thanks, Blackbird. I don't want to go cheap on my exhaust. May get pacesetter headers, and then GMMG cat back... Compromise my money. I'm more after great sound and any added performance is just a perk basically.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks 35th. I'll have to kick that idea around... Would you still recommend all the same brands for true duals? And are Kooks headers alot better than Pacesetters? I priced them and it looks like a pair of Pacesetters are $450 and Kooks around $1000! Not sure i'm willing to pay twice as much unless there was a world of difference.
    I have Kooks. They are the best there is. You can find them less than $1000. Tons of people on here have Pacesetter though, and are very happy with them. Hell, there are even e-bay SS header brands that have been impressing a lot of people for even cheaper than Pacesetter. Do a search on e-bay headers and see what you find in here. And yes, those brands of exhaust give the best sound IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have Kooks. They are the best there is. You can find them less than $1000. Tons of people on here have Pacesetter though, and are very happy with them. Hell, there are even e-bay SS header brands that have been impressing a lot of people for even cheaper than Pacesetter. Do a search on e-bay headers and see what you find in here. And yes, those brands of exhaust give the best sound IMO.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

What is an armoured header? Noticed it is a bit more than black painted header? I am only seeing 1-3/4 headers not 1 7/8? I head the 1 7/8 are good. Is this an issue?

What is an armoured header? Noticed it is a bit more than black painted header? I am only seeing 1-3/4 headers not 1 7/8? I head the 1 7/8 are good. Is this an issue?
    ceramic coated headers, get the 1 7/8

dont get the painted ones they will not last for shit

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks. I'm havin trouble finding 1 7/8... Guess I'll just have to look further...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

You might consider American Racing Headers, outstanding quality, stainless steel, and cheaper than kooks... and Magnaflow catback is the cheapest stainless steel catback for great (fairly quiet) sound at a great price.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Are they also known as ARH headers? I'm guessing so... Found a set of ARH headers and offroad y pipe for 1100... Does offroad just indicate that there are no cats and which do I want?

P.S. You guys rule adn I appreciate the enormous feedback you've given me. I promise I will remember!

Are they also known as ARH headers? I'm guessing so... Found a set of ARH headers and offroad y pipe for 1100... Does offroad just indicate that there are no cats and which do I want?

P.S. You guys rule adn I appreciate the enormous feedback you've given me. I promise I will remember!
    offroad stands for offroad use only just so they cover them self and you dont go raceing and all that crap

it would say catless if it dont come with cats if your state does not use then, then there is no need for them but check your laws first and it will be alittle louder with out them but not much and it somrtimes smells like gas out the exhaust

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Not sure about the law in my state (Nebraska). Maybe I should just go for the catted-Y pipe. I've heard of guys eliminating their cats and getting a deal that sends a signal so it still seems reads as if they have cats or something of that nature. Worth it?

Not sure about the law in my state (Nebraska). Maybe I should just go for the catted-Y pipe. I've heard of guys eliminating their cats and getting a deal that sends a signal so it still seems reads as if they have cats or something of that nature. Worth it?
    hmm i think your talking about 02 sims witch i would not get, if you get a full exhaust your going to need a tune for them and the tuner can shut the 02s off, but check your state see if you need then if not i wouldnt get them IMO

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ok, so if my state requires cats get a catted y pipe. If not, get a catless or offroad y pipe? Sorry, don't mean to sound ignorant, just want to make sure I understand you. I have a buddy with a tuner so he will be tuning it and can remove the codes if need be.

Ok, so if my state requires cats get a catted y pipe. If not, get a catless or offroad y pipe? Sorry, don't mean to sound ignorant, just want to make sure I understand you. I have a buddy with a tuner so he will be tuning it and can remove the codes if need be.
    offroad ypipe is a ypipe there is no diff lol the only diff is catted or catless

and yes if your state requires i would get them some people dont but they know people so they can get away with it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No cats, no rear O2's, you will need to have the codes removed and the PCM tuned to have the rear two O2's that won't be there to read a constant voltage so you can pass emissions. If your state does a visual check, or requires cats...get them.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Oh, ok... I guess that's what I was thinkin but I know I sound like a lost puppy. Just trying to soak up as much info as possible so I can make a good decision! Thanks man, you've been alot of help and i'm way further ahead than I would've been without your advice and others. I think Nebraska has a law requiring them, so I can get catted y pipe then get them deleted at the tune.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks 35th, so if my state does indeed require them will I have to pass emissions then take them out if they are visually accessible? I'm guessing you do this when you license your car? Or do you have to pass a visual inspection at another time? I grew up in a small town and still license my cars there, they don't even check bill of sale for how much you paid. My cousin licensed a car he bought for 6 grand and told them he bought it for 600 and they didn't bat an eye. So i doubt they will be very stingy on an inspection.

Oh, ok... I guess that's what I was thinkin but I know I sound like a lost puppy. Just trying to soak up as much info as possible so I can make a good decision! Thanks man, you've been alot of help and i'm way further ahead than I would've been without your advice and others. I think Nebraska has a law requiring them, so I can get catted y pipe then get them deleted at the tune.
    if you get a catted ypipe then you will not delet them from the tune, you only will be shuting off the 02s with the tune if you get a catless ypipe

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Oh ok. I must have gotten the two confused... haha, I'd rather ask dumb questions and learn than not know at all though, lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information