Thread: Exhaust Issues

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Exhaust Issues

I have 1 3/4" QTP headers with the QTP Y-pipe. I have a couple of issues with this set up

1. The Y-pipe is so big it hangs low creating clearance issues

2. The Y-Pipe is so long I had to take the resonator out of my SLP loudmouth catback set up. Now it is kind of raspy and too loud.

Are there any mufflers that wont quiet it down too much but take that raspy sound out of it, also I want to keep the dual outlets and not lose any power

Any suggestions on either one of these issues would be great
    1998 Trans am Ws6, T56 : SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, Smooth Bellows, Granatelli air foil, LS6 Intake, SLP Harmonic Balancer pulley, QTP 1 3/4" headers and Y-pipe, LS7 Clutch & flywheel, Hurst Billet Pro shifter,Tick Master Cylinder, UMI LCA relocation kit, UMI LCA, UMI Panhard Bar, Tuned by Frost

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Dynomaxx, SLP, Flowmaster all have mufflers to do the job. A 3" Y-pipe on an F-body will hang a little low and there is just so mych adjustment you can do. I think there is an adapter on the market to help out but I'm not sure who makes it. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Magnaflow Muff sound real good too.

Also for the record - SLP LM I & II's are always raspy.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is the Y-pipe one piece or two? Our Kooks Y-pipe is a two piece setup and on the driver side there is a band clamp. This allowed for the pipe to be rotated to gain additional undercar clearance during installation. Take a look at yours and try to determine is slicing the driver side part of the Y-pipe and being able to move things there would help. We usually hear this question with early SLP exhaust parts, not QTP stuff.

Here's a pic of our setup from back when it went on the car. You can see the slip joint just to the right of the driveshaft, below the brake and fuel lines:

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is the Y-pipe one piece or two? Our Kooks Y-pipe is a two piece setup and on the driver side there is a band clamp. This allowed for the pipe to be rotated to gain additional undercar clearance during installation. Take a look at yours and try to determine is slicing the driver side part of the Y-pipe and being able to move things there would help. We usually hear this question with early SLP exhaust parts, not QTP stuff.

Here's a pic of our setup from back when it went on the car. You can see the slip joint just to the right of the driveshaft, below the brake and fuel lines:

Click for full size
    what kind of cats are those behind the LT's? I love that Y pipe setup btw...looks like a really nice setup.

I've been looking @ getting a catted Y pipe because of emissions...my car came with LT's when I bought it, but I have no clue if they are Kooks or not...would this Y pipe work with them? Only reason I ask is because it says "must be used with Kook's headers".
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 10-17-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Click for full size
    Do you ever drive your car or do you just clean it all day. I'm pissed because my car has never looked that good. Even when new.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Click for full size
    I see you still have the DeCarbons on the rear. And they even look good. Damn

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The cats are Kooks -- just ordered their catted Y-pipe. Not sure what other headers they would mate up to. I may have some pictures from other angles so you could compare using the underbody as a reference.

Keith: It was one of the selling points when we bought the car - has a very clean underside. I cheated on the DeCarbons. Found during the rear axle swap that Chevrolet Orange engine paint is essentially an exact match!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have Pacesetter LT's, with Texas speeds off road y, and I am not lowered. I have no issues with clearance at all. I honestly usually don't even slow down for speed bumps much. I take my TA out in the desert every once in a while, and when I bottom out, it is because I hit the "frame rails" on the ground. It was a perfect fit to my LM1. And, it is VERY raspy. Just like I wanted.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

After a lot of research and talking with other members most of the rasp is due to not running cats. I have a OBX set up with resonators and Magna Flow and have a rasp sound around 3500rpm, I will be going back to Magna Flow high flow cats soon. You can pick them up for around $80 ea. I also have a 3pc Y-pipe and have no issues with clearance
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

I have cats but the Y-Pipe I have is different. It has a huge collector on it which I think causes the clearance issues. I will have to post some pictures of my set-up when I crawl under it one day

Thread Information