Thread: Exhaust idea?

2002 Camaro Z28

Exhaust idea?

Car is in sig. When I bought the car I took it down to a local exhaust shop and had them splice in a magnaflow muffler and some tips in place of the old. Don't know why I dind't get a catback system to be honest. Wasn't planning on doin anything else to the car until I discovered this site and a coworker who used to think his car was fast So anyway now I have LT's and an ORY that goes from 3" down to what I assume is 2.5" at the factory intermediate pipe back to the muffler. Car actually sounds very nice but I wouldn't mind alittle louder as long as it still sounds good. I would love true duals but I guess I like the look of the tips out the back and I smell enough fumes without the pipes ending under the car.

OK so here's my idea. Ditch my cobbled up catback and have 3" or 3.5" pipe put in for an intermediate pipe with some type of bullet muffler before the axle, most of those are 4" diameter so I think it would fit? Then have a split after the axle for the tailpaipes. I think it would be plenty loud and still have have nice tone. Or would it be too much like the loudmouth systems? Maybe I should just go with a cutout after the Y pipe. I don't know, any comments appreciated.

Andy
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Sounds like a plan..

Id go off road x pipe with pacesetter headers, high flow magna caylic conv., and borla muffler. (loud as heck if you have no cats with the x pipe dumped to the axle)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your best bet for that muffler is going to be after the axle.....not a lot of room before the axle with the drive shaft being right there. My vote would be to keep it exactly like you have it now and put an electric cutout on it. Out of everything I've done to the car that is the most enjoyable mod I have. I love being able to open it up with the press of a button and then quiet the car down by pressing it again. I wish I would've done the cutout before I did the catback....would've saved me the several hundred dollars I wasted on the catback.

2002 Camaro Z28

Yea, maybe I'll go with a cut out. Electric would be nice, What brand do you have?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have a McCord powerplate on mine. I don't know if they're out of business or what but I can't find a site to them anymore.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your best bet for that muffler is going to be after the axle.....not a lot of room before the axle with the drive shaft being right there. My vote would be to keep it exactly like you have it now and put an electric cutout on it. Out of everything I've done to the car that is the most enjoyable mod I have. I love being able to open it up with the press of a button and then quiet the car down by pressing it again. I wish I would've done the cutout before I did the catback....would've saved me the several hundred dollars I wasted on the catback.
    I second this idea.

Thread Information