Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Exhaust Cutout?

This is a discussion on Exhaust Cutout? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by biga0206 I did a cut out when i did my LTs and ORY. Around 12rwhp seems about ...

  1. #21
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by biga0206 View Post
    I did a cut out when i did my LTs and ORY. Around 12rwhp seems about avg for the mod from what i have seen inless you have H/C/I. The only thing is to watch out where you put it because they hang low and can take away lots of ground clearance. I say do the electric if you can so you dont have to get under the car to open and close it every time inless you plan to leave it open the whole time.
    +1.............if u can afford electric its the way to go, I did the manual to see how I would like it and can always add on the electric. I love mine and will be adding electric in the future. If u can only afford manual it doesnt take long to cap/uncap it. I put mine in the I pipe right b4 it goes over the axle. I can reach it without having to jack the car up. I have the bolts welded on with wingnuts

  2. #22
    Member 98_ls1maro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    102

    Black
    2000 Camaro SS

    On my car I have stock Headers and Y pipe and with cutout open at the 1/8 mile track I gained .12 and .1mph.
    So I think its definately worth it.

  3. #23
    Junior Member cruiSSin LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Covina
    Posts
    48

    red
    2000 Camaro

    it definitely sounds a lot better

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    213
    98 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    I put mine in the I pipe right b4 it goes over the axle.
    that is where you have to put it almost inless you have a custom Y. i put mine right in the middle of the car at first and smacked it off going over a bump.....

  5. #25
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    well you could get dual cutouts and put them in right after the headers...

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    md
    Posts
    33

    black
    00 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by biga0206 View Post
    I did a cut out when i did my LTs and ORY. Around 12rwhp seems about avg for the mod from what i have seen inless you have H/C/I. The only thing is to watch out where you put it because they hang low and can take away lots of ground clearance. I say do the electric if you can so you dont have to get under the car to open and close it every time inless you plan to leave it open the whole time.
    imo, it sounds like shit with lts and ory, and deafening

    with that said, its the setup i have, and electric is definitely worth it. i never drive with it more than 1/3 open though; its way too obnoxious

  7. #27
    Member totalkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Age
    30
    Posts
    389

    Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

    Hey first post-

    I just got a 2000 ss with 75,000miles on it. It has the magnaflow quad tip(yeah it came on the car) cat back already on it, i think it sounds great, but sometimes i would like it to be louder.

    Would i lose power running a cutout? If so id rather not run one.

    Also, on a side note, Are the stock rotors on these cars drilled and slotted? Because that is what is on my car. They're kinda squeaky every now and then, i was thinking to get ceramic pads on front and back to quiet them down and help eliminate brake dust, is this a good idea?

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    213
    98 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by phantazn View Post
    imo, it sounds like shit with lts and ory, and deafening

    with that said, its the setup i have, and electric is definitely worth it. i never drive with it more than 1/3 open though; its way too obnoxious
    yes it is way to damn loud, i only open mine all the way when racing or just feel like pissing people off. I like how at the flip of a switch my car sounds basicly stock. Also i didn't the extra $250 magnaflow.

    Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    Hey first post-

    I just got a 2000 ss with 75,000miles on it. It has the magnaflow quad tip(yeah it came on the car) cat back already on it, i think it sounds great, but sometimes i would like it to be louder.

    Would i lose power running a cutout? If so id rather not run one.

    Also, on a side note, Are the stock rotors on these cars drilled and slotted? Because that is what is on my car. They're kinda squeaky every now and then, i was thinking to get ceramic pads on front and back to quiet them down and help eliminate brake dust, is this a good idea?
    1. You would not lose power from a cutout you would add power. i believe around 10-15 inless you have H/C/I then i have seen gains 25+.

    2. my stock rotors are not drilled and slotted.

  9. #29
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    will a Y-pipe with dual electric cutouts have the same performance as a true dual x with dual cutouts?

    I figure they should be the same since when the cutouts are open it doesn't matter what pipes you have since all the exhaust is going through the cutouts, am i right?

  10. #30
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    as far as I know there has never been any stock f-body cars that came with drilled and/or slotted rotors.

  11. #31
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    I'm with you I really can't see how it could possibly make a difference by having duals as oppose to Y, because you're bypassing both regardless... so it should be identicle performance.

  12. #32
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    that's what i was thinking.. it makes sense right??

  13. #33
    Member ApexVIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    307

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    i want an electric cut out with stock exhaust over my SLP LM1's any one wanna trade stock with cut out??
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

  14. #34
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    Hey first post-

    I just got a 2000 ss with 75,000miles on it. It has the magnaflow quad tip(yeah it came on the car) cat back already on it, i think it sounds great, but sometimes i would like it to be louder.

    Would i lose power running a cutout? If so id rather not run one.

    Also, on a side note, Are the stock rotors on these cars drilled and slotted? Because that is what is on my car. They're kinda squeaky every now and then, i was thinking to get ceramic pads on front and back to quiet them down and help eliminate brake dust, is this a good idea?

    you would gain around 12 RWHP with a cut out..........stock rotors are not slotted/drilled..............I have heard ceramic's dont stop u as good but never used them myself

    also welcome to LS1 !

  15. #35
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    Hey first post-

    I just got a 2000 ss with 75,000miles on it. It has the magnaflow quad tip(yeah it came on the car) cat back already on it, i think it sounds great, but sometimes i would like it to be louder.

    Would i lose power running a cutout? If so id rather not run one.

    Also, on a side note, Are the stock rotors on these cars drilled and slotted? Because that is what is on my car. They're kinda squeaky every now and then, i was thinking to get ceramic pads on front and back to quiet them down and help eliminate brake dust, is this a good idea?
    U can listen to some cut outs here.........http://www.ls1sounds.com/

  16. #36
    Member 180ls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego (Poway)
    Posts
    516
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    yes and the cut outs sound best if u still have your cats and manifolds
    I love mine !!!!!!!!! I was going to do some video of it this weekend but got sick so maybe soon as I get better I will do it. the sound it great for only $55 part 30 labor
    wait why would it sound better with cats then without cats? just more clean and less raspy i assume.

  17. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    md
    Posts
    33

    black
    00 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
    wait why would it sound better with cats then without cats? just more clean and less raspy i assume.
    a lot less raspy. idle is nice and deep, and you can feel the vibrations from across the street; very nice and intimidating imo

    however, when my foots in it it sounds raspy as hell, especially when i let off between shifts. it was a lot smoother sounding with cats.

  18. #38
    Member 180ls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego (Poway)
    Posts
    516
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by phantazn View Post
    a lot less raspy. idle is nice and deep, and you can feel the vibrations from across the street; very nice and intimidating imo

    however, when my foots in it it sounds raspy as hell, especially when i let off between shifts. it was a lot smoother sounding with cats.
    would it be considerabally louder without cats then? because i have never really heard a clean sounding car with a cutout open and someone on the gas.

  19. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    md
    Posts
    33

    black
    00 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
    would it be considerabally louder without cats then? because i have never really heard a clean sounding car with a cutout open and someone on the gas.
    without a doubt. when i did my headers, i had my friend rev the car a few times with the stock y pipe disconnected, and then again after the headers went on. stock w/o y pipe is loud... open headers is deafening. my hearing distorted like a bad sound recording. granted i was standing 10 feet away with the car 2 feet up in the air, but you get the idea

  20. #40
    Member cobrahunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bay
    Age
    46
    Posts
    504

    Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

    I got 6-7RWHP from my cutout (JBA shorties - yeah, yeah, yeah...CA emissions restrictions are a beeoch!!). Ordered the electric part after I got tired of having to squeeze underneath to take off the cap. There is a bit of a loss on launches. But lots of top end.



Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. exhaust cutout question?
    By 1998 T/A in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 07:25 PM
  2. exhaust cutout
    By 1998ss in forum External Engine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM
  3. Exhaust Cutout
    By Smkn_TA in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
  4. exhaust cutout
    By tnnt in forum LT1
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 03:40 PM
  5. Exhaust cutout
    By newcomer in forum External Engine
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •