Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Exhaust Cut-out?

This is a discussion on Exhaust Cut-out? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i have a 96 trans am with a lt1 with k&n cai, and ypiip with magna flow high flow cats, ...

Black
    1996 Trans am

i have a 96 trans am with a lt1 with k&n cai, and ypiip with magna flow high flow cats, and borla catback exhaust with intercooled quad tips, i want a cut out where would i put it cause i dont have much clearance at all and would it sound good at all , being my car is mostly stock? would it mess the motor up or anything too, sensors missing or anything like that?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by camarostripes96 View Post
    i have a 96 trans am with a lt1 with k&n cai, and ypiip with magna flow high flow cats, and borla catback exhaust with intercooled quad tips, i want a cut out where would i put it cause i dont have much clearance at all and would it sound good at all , being my car is mostly stock? would it mess the motor up or anything too, sensors missing or anything like that?
    You already have a cut-out on your Borla Cat-back system. The right side tailpipe does not come out of the muffler, but the intermediate pipe instead - just like a cutout. Consider it a cut-out with a tailpipe extension.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Black
    1996 Trans am

so does it have like a baffle or something in there to keep the exhaust from going strait out and half go in the muffler, and how do i take it off?

10's N/A

If you have the complete kit it should of came with plates that will give you the option to either block off the cut-out (bypass) sending all of the exhaust through the muffler, or run the bypass fully open. There are also two plates that allow only a portion of exhaust flow to escape through the bypass.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by cavpat View Post
    Sorry I didn't specify, yes it's an electric cut-out that I got. I wouldn't have it any other way, it's not very expensive, and it's a lot easier. Plus, it's nice to go from sounding stock to scaring people, without even getting out of the car
    I agree....If I had a manual--it would be useless...it would be capped all the time.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

white
    2002 z28

thats cool of borla, but seems just like a dummy exhaust that cost like 800 for a mullerless system

10's N/A

Yeah $800 is a whole lot of exhaust

Black
    1996 Trans am

well the borla exhaust came on the car already, so what do i do take it off, cause whenever the car is running all the exhaust is coming out the right side and not on the left, so i guess it wide open then huh?

10's N/A

That's your problem. You didn't get the plates for the system when you bought the car, so now your stuck on "Extra Loud" mode. Contact Borla and order some replacement plates.

white
    2002 z28

http://borla.com/

couldnt find anything on the site about the chambers but give it a try

pewter
    2002 Trans Am

I think you should just take them off and trade for my Stock exhaust... i heard the Stock system sounded mean.....

Black
    1996 Trans am

no ill pass, on that i have new magna flow high flow cats and its really loud as hell, and i was just curious and it sounded like going through the borla muffler? would it sound any better?

10's N/A

It will be much quieter.

Black
    1996 Trans am

i just got this new y pipe for my car and my exhause hangs down low ,and i want some long tube headers, but gotta go in there and mess with the exhaust again and its a bitch , so i can across some shortys i think i will throw on , u thing with short headers and open borla exhaust that i would be louder than with my stock manifold

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

eletronic cutouts power increase?

hey I know the sound of these cutouts is awesome, I heard some the other day and want to put some on my vette. Did you guys notice a power increase with the electronic cutouts? Some sites are claiming as much as 20rwhp increase but i think thats an exaggeration. One other guy I talked to mentioned that if u get the wrong one itll dump all ur backpressure and then ull actually lose a lil power. So u guys get more power or less from these, or u do it strictly for the sound?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information