Thread: exhaust cut-out

White
    2002 Trans Am WS6

exhaust cut-out

Hey whats goin on. I have a flowmaster on my 02 ws6 now and its just not loud enough. I was wondering if a cut out would also help with horsepower along with making it very loud. Thanks

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SLDWS6 View Post
    Hey whats goin on. I have a flowmaster on my 02 ws6 now and its just not loud enough. I was wondering if a cut out would also help with horsepower along with making it very loud. Thanks
    You will get minimal power gains. mayby 10-15 at the most. It will defiently sound louder and alot meaner, you basically running open headers. If you want the full effect add long tube headers. LT headers will give you an additional 30+ horses. If you don't want to add headers or a cut-out, you can put the SLP Loud Mouth exhaust on. I would ditch the FlowMaster as they are not that good of a exhaust for F-Bodys.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I concur, my flowmasters are killing me. (They came with the car. They used to sound damn good and loud, but the LT headers quieted the car down). I am looking at the loudmouths with the CME exhaust.
    As far as the cutouts, they don't do much because they eliminate almost all backpressure in the engine. This is good to an extent, but engines need a little backpressure to perform at optimum potential. You'll get the sound (too loud to drive around with all the time though) you're looking for but not the performance gains. You'll get better gains with a good full-exhaust setup.

CME BABY!
    Click for full size

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    You will get minimal power gains. mayby 10-15 at the most. It will defiently sound louder and alot meaner, you basically running open headers. If you want the full effect add long tube headers. LT headers will give you an additional 30+ horses. If you don't want to add headers or a cut-out, you can put the SLP Loud Mouth exhaust on. I would ditch the FlowMaster as they are not that good of a exhaust for F-Bodys.
    ??? you call 10-15 HP minimal- ???--I doubt many get more than 5 hp with a cutout. Actually, most DYNO'S SHOW EXACTLY THAT...
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I concur, my flowmasters are killing me. (They came with the car. They used to sound damn good and loud, but the LT headers quieted the car down). I am looking at the loudmouths with the CME exhaust.
    As far as the cutouts, they don't do much because they eliminate almost all backpressure in the engine. This is good to an extent, but engines need a little backpressure to perform at optimum potential. You'll get the sound (too loud to drive around with all the time though) you're looking for but not the performance gains. You'll get better gains with a good full-exhaust setup.

CME BABY!
    Click for full size

back pressure is a myth.
    look at a funny car or top fuel dragster, open headers.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, but most people don't run those extreme setups in their street cars.

I love the old "need a little back pressure" myth. Put some longtubes with dual cutouts on it and leave the blowmaster catback alone. Get yourself a tune for the headers and enjoy the extra power/sound when you want it and close the cutouts for a nice cruise down the highway.

longtubes w/cutouts > anyother exhaust setup. Period.
    2000 TA silver auto W/ chip and a filter.....honestly
    95 BMW 325i beater/DD 230K miles and still going strong

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

For one, flowmaster's suck. Two, get LT's, ORY, and either Magnaflow, Borla, Hooker<--best value, or GMMG. You will have what you are looking for in these tried and true combos, as far as power and sound are concerned. High-flow cats would prolly sound good too.

Cutouts sound like ass. There is no getting around it. Every one I have heard sounds like the exhaust was torn off on a curb or something. NOT pleasing to the ear.

If you go cheap to begin with, you will just spend more money in making it right.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I ran open headers for a few days and it got irritating. Make sure you got the electric cutouts.

Red
    2000 SS

I have longtubes, y pipe, and a cut out. The y pipe came with interchageable hi-flo cats and straight pipe sections (FLP setup). The cut out is installed just before the rear axle. I drive with the cutout open all of the time basically....except late at night and when cops are around. It sounds nasty with the hi-flo cats. It is far too loud and raspy with the straight pipe sections installed. I have a fairly quite dynomax muffle out back that way i can make the car sound basically stock when I want to.

1970 Fbody

stock setup, no gain with a cutout. Longtubes and other boltons will depend on how crappy your exhaust is. I had GMMG with heads/cam and did 447 through the cutout and 443 through the exhaust.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I got 8 RWHP gain with my (electric) cutout open. Sure, the extra power isn't phenominal, but the sound is incredible.

White
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yeah I got my cut-out installed on tuesday and i love it. I has a very good higher RPM sound that i like. Thanks alot

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

So, which brand of cut out did you install. Electric or no?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

if you had longtubes with no cats, would it be better to put one behind each header, or one after the y-pipe by the axle? sound difference?

White
    2002 Trans Am WS6

It is manual, and it is the stainless steel one off of WS6project. I had mine put on a few inches after the y-pipe and it sounds very good.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

From WAYYYY back when I dynoed before and after with Flowmaster muffler and stock Y-Pipe, vs.. 3 inch Y-Pipe and 3 inch cutout. I dynoed 310 hp & 340 Tq through the Flowmaster and stock Y, 332 hp & 340 Tq through the 3 inch Y and cutout. Same dyno, but on a diff day and yes I know that makes a diff, but 22 hp is a big jump to ignore.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    From WAYYYY back when I dynoed before and after with Flowmaster muffler and stock Y-Pipe, vs.. 3 inch Y-Pipe and 3 inch cutout. I dynoed 310 hp & 340 Tq through the Flowmaster and stock Y, 332 hp & 340 Tq through the 3 inch Y and cutout. Same dyno, but on a diff day and yes I know that makes a diff, but 22 hp is a big jump to ignore.
    STOCK Y and 3" Y is a BIG Difference........

Thread Information