Black
    2002 Trans Am

Exhaust or Cat problem?

I was driving my TA yesterday, when a buddy of mine told me that my drivers side exhaust pipe was putting out a lot of grey smoke. I stoped, turned my music down, and could hear a rattle like noise from about the mid point of my car. This noise only occurs when i first give the car gas (ie when shifting gears or taking off) and when i downshift. My friend told me that he thought that it was a broken Catalytic converter... Anyone have any input? Thanks

White
    98 Trans AM

Well generally if you have smoke some type of fluid is either in or on the pipe. I know when I had my FLP headers those would occasionaly hit the oil filter and cause it to leak a little oil on the headers and then when at a stop you would see white smoke. I think also if your CAT was bad though it would throw a SES code.? I'd crawl under there and see if anything looks like it has been leaking onto the driver side header / exhaust.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If your driving the car hard then it will put out a lil smoke, IF your exhaust was only smoking from one side i would imagine something got onto that tail pipe or something along those lines. Should be coming from both. Try too narrow down where the rattling is coming from, If your cat went bad it will throw a code and set off your check engine light, Now if a baffle came loose in the muffler that would rattle. If the screens came loose in your cat then you will hear the cat rattling. Could be a heat shield above your exhaust thats rattling.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Yeah. i looked and it doesnt look like there is anything leaking. If the honeycomb piece inside the cat was broken would it make noise? Cause the noise i hear is a rattle/scraping sound that sounds like it is coming from inside a pipe

Black
    2002 Trans Am

The noise is comming from about the mid point of the car, drivers side. A little back from where im sitting in the drivers seat

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Shouldnt have come loose, but if your car has under 80 thou miles on it the dealer will replace for free.
    You could also pull of your y pipe too check and see if its clear.
    J

Black
    2002 Trans Am

They will replace the cat for free?

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

My cat just failed, showing the same symptoms as your car, along with others actually, back pressure in the engine has caused plug failure, general ignition issues, so get this shit taken care of ASAP. I went with a Magnaflow high flow for $205 altogether, and that was with installation at the local muffler shop.

It really unlocked the exhaust though, I have Borla all the way open, and apparently the cat had been seriously restricting sound because when I got this bitch back she was screamin' so loud.

Thread Information